Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I see your point. Perhaps an incentive program could be worked out: 45 degrees off course, no fig bars, 90 degrees off course, no pop tarts, 180 degrees off course, no rations. Right on course, extra ration of non-alcoholic Old Milwaukee. Over time steering should improve.
Hahaha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
I'm no pro, but would love to come along for the adventure! Looks like your boat is about full though.
Old 03-20-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I looked at some of your other posts, and if you're looking for tiller time, this may be your trip.
Oh the background check! But yeah that would be fine. I'm trying to get more sailing experience. Last fall I got ASA 103 at a sailing school Michigan.

Can your boat hold 3 people? I take it you're planning on sailing for most of the day and then dropping anchor or docking at a camp ground for the nights with the focus of being on looking at what's on shore and not getting anywhere that quickly.

Quote:
If you're looking to motor between yacht clubs and waterfront restaurants, it ain't.
No, those are expensive!

Quote:
But aren't you in one of those flat states in the middle of the country? How would you get out here?
I'm from Peoria, Illinois, I'm 23 and want to go sailing and have some of the related adventure. We have the Illinois river here. It's the usual situation where there are mostly motor boats who have to stay at the dock now because they can't afford gas. So yeah getting there is the hardest part. An advance purchase Greyhound ticket to Baltimore is $95.00. Is that close enough?

The Great Lakes are somewhat closer but sailing opportunities don't come up that often, as far as I know. I think I would have to travel to a coast for most sailing opportunities.

Quote:
Oh, and one other rule comes to mind: no listening to headphones while on watch. Bad idea.
Not that I would do that, but does that go closer to the top of your list of rules or near the bottom next to needing to know native Indian languages?

Also, I assume RSA certificate is not related to encryption, so what is it?

Quote:
You also started a thread on getting a bluewater boat for under $10,000.
Thanks for the information. I was thinking about what could be possible in the future if I got good sailing experience and some of the friends that I have who showed initial interest in such an adventure continue to be interested and could be severed from Facebook for more than a day. The odds of that happening aren't so high though.

I just finished going up the James and York rivers on Google Earth. Yeah it looks like you can't get past Richmond on the James. I saw more and more shoals the farther West I went. It looks like canoe and rafting area past that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta
Would you mind other boats taging along, sounds like something I would like to do.
Yes, I suppose, though I'm not sure how much "tagging" you will do - I'm pretty slow. And no sniggering at my paint job.
Maybe the person in the lead could by pull those behind with a rope or do you call that a "line"!

It would be great if this works out! There are probably others who are a lot closer though.
Old 03-21-2011
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
I take it you're planning on sailing for most of the day and then dropping anchor or docking at a camp ground for the nights with the focus of being on looking at what's on shore and not getting anywhere that quickly.
Actually, yes and no. I'm planning on transiting the bay southward fairly quickly, in shifts if I have crew, and then taking my time exploring and making my way back north.

Most of the major cities in this area are on the fall line, where rivers go from having rapids and turn into tidal rivers: Richmond, Fredericksburg, DC, Baltimore are all examples. I only plan on exploring up to Richmond, and then only if I have fair wind and no current to contend with beyond Hopewell/City Point.

Last edited by willyd; 03-21-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: quotes not quoted
Old 03-23-2011

Willis is on a distinguished road
Willy,

Since you are going to have some time, one other thing you might want to do is stop in at Fort Monroe as you pass by. It will be on your right as you make the turn out of the bay and into Hampton Roads. You'll be able to see the fort and the Old Point Comfort Light when you make the turn. There is an anchorage and marina on your right just before you go through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. The whole thing used to be an Army base, but was recently turned over to the state. The old fort is a good place to spend a couple hours. They have a nice museum there. This is the place where the Union troops staged up before the famous Peninsula Campaign against Richmond in the Civil War. This is also where Jefferson Davis was temporarily held at the end of the war. You are allowed to anchor overnight in the basin there.

Once you cross the bridge tunnel, there is a channel immediately on your right that runs parallel to the bridge that will take you right into downtown Hampton. The city dock is free and just a few steps away from the Air and Space museum. The museum is not free, but it is a nice museum. If you've been spoiled by the Smithsonian, you can probably skip this one, but otherwise its nice.

Once into Hampton Roads proper, you can take a detour to the left past the Naval Base and up the Elizabeth River into Norfolk. You can anchor at Hospital Point for free and dinghy over to Waterside at Norfolk or Tidewater Yacht in Portsmouth. Norfolk has Nauticus, the National Maritime Museum, which is worth a visit. Between Norfolk and Portsmouth there are tons of bars and restaurants within walking distance of the water.

I'm always traveling with kids, so we hit all the museums. Just ignore me if you aren't into that kind of thing.

Chris
Old 03-23-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
The Great Lakes are somewhat closer but sailing opportunities don't come up that often, as far as I know. I think I would have to travel to a coast for most sailing opportunities.
Lotsa sailing here in Southern Ontario.

I'm sure if you post that you're looking for people to sail with in the Chicago area you'll find lots of opportunities.

Don't knock the Third Coast!

Granted it's a little cold still (snowing in TO today, but that doesn't stop some people...)
Old 03-23-2011

dtmacmilla is on a distinguished road
Quote:
- be ready to jump overboard and push the boat off of sandbars should we run aground
mudbars is more like it - don't ask me how i know
Old 03-23-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmacmilla View Post
mudbars is more like it - don't ask me how i know
What is the replacement policy for lost shoes on this trip?

Willyd, I'm still doing some thinking and planning.
Old 03-24-2011
美國佬

Willis/Chris - Many thanks for the information. That's a help.

Steel - Crew aren't allowed to wear shoes during the trip.

I've run out of NA Old Milwaukee - I'll try to find a replacement, perhaps Busch NA:
Fully brewed with finest natural ingredients, including a blend
of premium American hops, fine barley malt, cereal grains,
and pure water. After full fermentation and maturation, the
alcohol is gently removed to preserve the quality of the beer.
I'm not sure why it's important to "gently" remove the alcohol or what happens to it.

I'm also thinking of changing the breakfast menu to either pancakes or flapjacks, with blueberry syrup and coffee. Or maybe beef jerky and potato chips washed down with homemade Yoo-hoo. Can't decide.
Old 04-08-2011
美國佬

inflatable deckhand wanted

Unable to find a committed living being to crew with me, I'd like to rent or borrow an inflatable crew member from anyone that has one. Can be either sex and I don't care if they smoke. No Tea Party members.