Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011

jaalex is on a distinguished road
Pasadena, MD to Deltaville VA

Hello,

I'm purchasing a 2001 Catalina 320 that is currently in Pasadena MD. I'm looking to move it to it's new home in Deltaville, VA. I'm new to the bay and was looking to see if there was anyone that was interested in giving me a hand. My neighbor has offered to go along but I don't think he has any big boat sailing experience. Most of his experience is on smaller dingy sailors.

My experence is mostly inland lake sailing and charters. I've owned a Catalina 320 and 28. I've sailed a Lagoon 410, 420 in BVI, and a 61 foot Atlantic in Greece.

I'm thinking of a two day trip. Sometime on the 24th of this month depending on weather. If this sounds like something you might be interested in PM me and we can discuss more.

Thanks,
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road
I sent you a PM - I should be available about that time.
Old 03-08-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
2 days with perfect weather. It is doable, but daylight hours are not particularly long yet. You may want to plan on 3 days.

Where in Pasadena. I am in Rock Creek, Solomons is a long 1 day 70 mile or so trip. Delta ville is reachable in one day from there but andother long day...especially crossing the Potomac.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
2 days with perfect weather. It is doable, but daylight hours are not particularly long yet. You may want to plan on 3 days.

Where in Pasadena. I am in Rock Creek, Solomons is a long 1 day 70 mile or so trip. Delta ville is reachable in one day from there but andother long day...especially crossing the Potomac.

Dave
The boat is currently at Fairview Marina. Umm I need to get my electronic chart tools working again. For some reason I was under the impression that it was only about 50 miles to Solomons. I do have a third day in there that I can use.

Jason
Old 03-09-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Jaalex,

I realize that this is a newer boat, but is it in good condition? Been maintained?

Rigging?
Engine?
Sails?

Do you have paper charts onboard to back up your electronic navaids?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-09-2011

Yes the boat is in great condition in my opinion. It only has 314 hours on the engine. The rigging appears in great shape and it has a new headsail and reasonable newer main from what I understand.

The boat is going to be surveyed on the 18th

I've ordered the region 4 maptech chartkit for the boat.
Old 03-09-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Glad to hear. Sounds like you'll be well prepared. That's a lovely ride you have.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-09-2011
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
I have done this trip many times from the West River. Form Fairview Marina/Rock Creek it's 55 nautical miles to Solomons Is and about 60 nm to Broad Creek. Believe or not the best time to ride south is after a cold front passes thru the area giving you a nice NW breeze and clear skies but a little cold at this time of the year. I like to start early about an hr before sunrise.

Last summer I made it to Solomons around 11 AM, decided to continue (motorsailing around 9 kts) and made it to Broad Creel around 5:45PM. What is your hull speed?

From Pasadena to Solomons there are a few bailout/safe harbors Annapolis, West River, Herrignton Harbor, Choptank River, Tilman Is. From Solomons to Dville there are more places to bailout/safe harbor.

The most challenging part of the trip is crossing the Potomac River and I would recommend that you stay in the middle of the bay and not cut it to close to Point Lookout and the mouth of the Potomac. Merging currents and air temps make an interesting localized weather around that area........
Old 03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Glad to hear. Sounds like you'll be well prepared. That's a lovely ride you have.

Thanks, I've also downloaded all the charts from NOAA and will be installed my Maptech software tonight to do some planning. While I don't have a chartplotter I do have a GPSMap 76 that has gotten me around the BVI's and Greece a number of times.
Old 03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by velero View Post
I have done this trip many times from the West River. Form Fairview Marina/Rock Creek it's 55 nautical miles to Solomons Is and about 60 nm to Broad Creek. Believe or not the best time to ride south is after a cold front passes thru the area giving you a nice NW breeze and clear skies but a little cold at this time of the year. I like to start early about an hr before sunrise.

Last summer I made it to Solomons around 11 AM, decided to continue (motorsailing around 9 kts) and made it to Broad Creel around 5:45PM. What is your hull speed?
The 320's Hull speed is only about 7. So at 55 miles it would be about an 8 hour run for me if we can keep up hull speed. I've not looked at current charts but I would guess that would help some.

Quote:
From Pasadena to Solomons there are a few bailout/safe harbors Annapolis, West River, Herrignton Harbor, Choptank River, Tilman Is. From Solomons to Dville there are more places to bailout/safe harbor.
My intent was to get the charts and plot out a nice course with lots of waypoints leading to various options and safe harbors. This is intened to be a move and not so much a pleasure sail. If we get to sail great. If were doing a lot of iron sailing, well that's ok too. Just to get it some place that I can easily get to it. Driving through DC traffic is killing me.

Quote:
The most challenging part of the trip is crossing the Potomac River and I would recommend that you stay in the middle of the bay and not cut it to close to Point Lookout and the mouth of the Potomac. Merging currents and air temps make an interesting localized weather around that area........
Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure and plan accordingly. That's the kind of thing that I fear is my lack of local knowledge.

Jason

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.