Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
all i'm saying is that most hurried romance-low rent rendezous seldom end as well as one or both parties expectations
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
And the rest ain't always good either.marc
Old 03-26-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
all i'm saying is that most hurried romance-low rent rendezous seldom end as well as one or both parties expectations
There used to be a group called Single Sailors that allowed boat owners of either sex to meet and sail with boatless members of the opposit sex, sometimes with the possibility of romantic relationships. I only know of two fellows that met women through advertisements in sailing magazines (now replaced by the internet I suppose). In one case the woman proved to be a schizophrenic but her nuttyness didn't become really apparent until they were at sea. She evidently irritated him so much on one occasion that they had words afterwhich she became convinced he was going to pitch her into the sea and locked herself in the forward cabin. When they finally made landfall, he ended up having to pay for an airline ticket back to Miami to get rid of her. In the second case, the woman proved to be an alcoholic although that too did not become entirely evident until they were enroute during which trip the woman existed in an alcoholic stupor on the private stock in her seabag until the booze ran out. He finally unloaded her in Luperon but not without great difficulty. She reportedly haunted the cruiser's bars until the Dominican's kicked her out of the country. According to Ted, she supposedly returned to her parents in the US and later died from alcohol poisoning.

I think one would need a very good vetting process for anyone that's going to share the confines of a yacht for any period.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
There used to be a group called Single Sailors that allowed boat owners of either sex to meet and sail with boatless members of the opposit sex, sometimes with the possibility of romantic relationships. I only know of two fellows that met women through advertisements in sailing magazines (now replaced by the internet I suppose). In one case the woman proved to be a schizophrenic but her nuttyness didn't become really apparent until they were at sea. She evidently irritated him so much on one occasion that they had words afterwhich she became convinced he was going to pitch her into the sea and locked herself in the forward cabin. When they finally made landfall, he ended up having to pay for an airline ticket back to Miami to get rid of her. In the second case, the woman proved to be an alcoholic although that too did not become entirely evident until they were enroute during which trip the woman existed in an alcoholic stupor on the private stock in her seabag until the booze ran out. He finally unloaded her in Luperon but not without great difficulty. She reportedly haunted the cruiser's bars until the Dominican's kicked her out of the country. According to Ted, she supposedly returned to her parents in the US and later died from alcohol poisoning.

I think one would need a very good vetting process for anyone that's going to share the confines of a yacht for any period.

FWIW...
i totaly agree,thats why i almost always singlehand,there's enough worries and distractions onboard already some activities are best kept independant of each other so that each can be given the full attention required,hmmm perhaps a oversexed 21 yr old might be an exception [one should sometimes make exceptions]
Old 03-26-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
My friend Marvin

Well after my friend Marvin won the lottery, he bought a sailboat and ran one of those ads. Funny, they didn't seem to have much in common. Not sure what ever happened to him though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
These kinds of posts always draw quite a few amusing responses, but have they ever actually worked? Has anyone, in the history of sailnet, ever actually found a companion this way?

I would love to hear from someone...anyone... who actually made or received a serious response to one of these types of posts and hear their story on how it turned out, be it good or bad. There has to be an amusing story somewhere.

no one ever posts a followup.
Old 03-26-2011

floating face down in some forsaken swamp no doubt uhuhuh
Old 03-26-2011

timangiel is on a distinguished road
now this thread is shaping up
Old 03-26-2011

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
Sometimes it works out. Here is one couple's tale - from Boat US. It was a power boat, not a sailboat: The author is Ann Dermody, managing editor of Boat's US.

Quote:
A sabbatical from a hectic career leads to a life changing meeting, in this poignant and hilarious story, which takes our intrepid heroine from crew to “I do.”
Ann writes...
Quote:
I was in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, hungry for my next nautical adventure, hoping to catch a boat headed through the Panama Canal. I interlaced afternoons on the beach with mornings spent at the Nuevo Puerto Vallarta yacht club where the harbormaster kindly let me get on the “net” in the mornings to offer up my services in the slot where the boats, mostly American, look for crew, and crew look for boats. I got wonderful offers to far-flung places: Tahiti, The Cook Islands, Vanuatu, even Australia, and others just a day or two away, such as Manzanillo and Zihuatanejo. If this all sounds insanely cavalier now, that actually never occurred to me at the time.
read the rest from the Feb 2011 issue of Boat US magazine: BoatUS Magazine: Boat | Pray | Love

I still think anyone who tries this is NUTS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Old 04-03-2011

emrich is on a distinguished road
Believe it or not I got two positives responces but no takers on this post . What other information would encourage responces...

Chuck
Old 04-03-2011

Harryeod is on a distinguished road
A Little Advice

Took a potiential first mate out on the boat in 30F weather, it was our second and last date. Maybe it was the shivering and her blue lips that convinced her she didn't like boats. Should have stuck with the old dinner and a movie scenario.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My son, the Marine!

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
John Adams