Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
well yes it seems you should do it for the LOVE of sailing and the HIGH we get when in storms and bad weather I feel like i have accomplished something and learned more with mother nature when i am out there! But i got my License because it was a personal thing, I have always wanted to do it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2011
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
This is NOT a delivery to be undertaken by inexperienced captains OR crews. Distances in the Pacific are vast; you could easily have passages of 30 days or more. The Lagoons are terrible down wind boats (according to Lagoon owners I've met) unless you have down wind sails as the stays do not allow the main to go out very far.
66 days would be best case, you have forgotten days in port replenishing, transiting the canal, & windless days (including the 1000 miles on the Pacific side of the canal) and adverse conditions. Add to all that the fact that these boats do not carry much fuel, have little deck space where 55 gallon drums could be secured properly & the probable fact that this is a bare boat coming off a 5 year stint of being abused & you have a recipe for a voyage of horrors.
Approached to move one of these from the BVI to California, I figured $20 grand (captain's pay only) to Hawaii (the easy part of the trip) & another delivery crew to catch a weather window from Hawaii to San Francisco, because it was not financially prudent to wait around Hawaii for the wx window.
As owner of the Lagoon seriously consider shipping the boat; less wear & tear, little chance of loss or damage & way less time.
So don't go goo goo eyed at the $20 grand; most deliveries are WORK, very hard WORK, not a cruising vacation.
Old 07-09-2011
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
shrouds not stays

......as the stays do not allow the main to go out very far.
shrouds not stays