Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011

Lagoon is on a distinguished road
Delivery Capt. BVI to Australia

Hi all, I would like a quote (Approx) for the delivery of a 06/07 380 Lagoon from the BVI to Melbourne Aust. Would need to have done the trip before (safely)> Timeframe ..in the next few months but this may not be the safest time so I am prepared to wait as I think it is now!! but this is too earlie for me.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2011
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
WOW those are suppose to be a very strong Kat! How bad does it get what is your time from you are looking at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 05-16-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
This is actually getting quite late in the season, not for the Caribbean portion, but for the Pacific passages. Will anyone else be aboard and what is your delivery date (i.e. must the boat go straight across, or can it stop along the way)? Is the lagoon freshly out of a charter fleet? How much equipment of what type/age is aboard for this long haul or is a lengthy stop in St. Martin for parts and boat work part of the plan?

The captain would need to get crew for this trip and return airfare for him/herself and crew is not going to be cheap. I had a dockwise quote for around US$40,000 for Ft. Lauderdale to Sydney for a 43 monohull just so you have a comparison number. I seen to recall that there is a Kiwi captain here offerring just such deliveries but his name doesn't come to mind right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
This is actually getting quite late in the season, not for the Caribbean portion, but for the Pacific passages. Will anyone else be aboard and what is your delivery date (i.e. must the boat go straight across, or can it stop along the way)? Is the lagoon freshly out of a charter fleet? How much equipment of what type/age is aboard for this long haul or is a lengthy stop in St. Martin for parts and boat work part of the plan?

The captain would need to get crew for this trip and return airfare for him/herself and crew is not going to be cheap. I had a dockwise quote for around US$40,000 for Ft. Lauderdale to Sydney for a 43 monohull just so you have a comparison number. I seen to recall that there is a Kiwi captain here offerring just such deliveries but his name doesn't come to mind right now.
Z,
We have similar quote for 41' from South Carolina. The USD figure should be a bit lower at the moment so even with high fuel prices it would probably come in at around AUD$35000.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-17-2011
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
OK since i am a inland sailor, can u explain what cost 40k? If ur sailing to a island why does it cost money? Sorry if these seems stupid question but i am a newbie to the Ocean Life?

Thanks

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 05-17-2011
Great Captain!

jim0123r is on a distinguished road
There is a Kiwi delivery service called Pacific Yacht Deliveries but I would avoid him (Chris Bone) like the plague - he stiffed me for $7000 on a $10K delivery from San Diego to Cabo to Tahiti. He's good with reef preservation but not good to delivery crews or owners - speaking from my and my crew's experiences, anyway.
Old 05-17-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
ImASonOfASailor - transporting the boat from Florida to New Zealand costs 40K$ using Dockwise. If you look at the distance, it comes to about 8000 nautical miles and goes through the Panama Canal. Just as when you hire movers to take your stuff, you need to pay if someone else is doing this. A sailboat of 41 feet length will average around 5 knots, or 120nm a day. Hiring someone to sail the boat this distance (and 1 person is not enough, more likely 3 or perhaps 4) will take around 66 days plus wait times in the canal. Even at $100 a day that is around $20K in salary plus food costs and travel expenses. TANSTAAFL

Old 05-19-2011

Lagoon is on a distinguished road
Hi All, thank you for all the messages here and private, I have satisfied my requirements for the time being.
Old 05-20-2011
John

WOW 20K for 66 days That is some good Money! Without spending it i guess, but the crew gets paid to dont they?

Old 05-20-2011
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
66 days of working 12 hours a day is 792 hours. Consider the average person works 40 hours a week, that's 19.8 weeks, call it 20 weeks. Considering that the average working person gets 9 holidays, 10 vacation and 5 personal/sick days, that's just under 1/2 a years work. If there are 4 people delivering the boat, 35K is only $8,750 per person for almost 1/2 a years work. My math isn't perfect, but it's close enough to say that they don't do it for the money.