SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Seeking crewing position in Asia or the South Pacific (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/75006-seeking-crewing-position-asia-south-pacific.html)

mora 06-03-2011 05:02 PM

Seeking crewing position in Asia or the South Pacific

Hello everyone. I'm a nurse in California, 44 years old, about ready to take some serious time off and go sailing (up to a year).

I am a novice, but have been out on day sails in the San Francisco bay many times, and crewed for a week in the Caribbean. I never get seasick, I'm a good cook, good company, and not afraid of hard work.

I've travelled extensively, by myself and with others, and enjoy discovering places and people off the beaten path. That, a love of sailing and nature, and an itch for adventure, are what are behind me hatching this plan.

I'll be ready in September. If you know of a boat I might crew on let me know. Also, if someone has advice on how to be the best crew I can be, I'd like to hear that. Feel free.

Thanks in advance!
Mora

oceanroadmike 06-07-2011 11:54 PM

I am sailing to Hawaii and westward in Oct. from San Francisco. This will be my 3rd Pacific Crossing in my Atkins ketch. Interested? Mike

WanderingStar 06-08-2011 10:33 AM

My advice to you both and any cruising crew is to thoroughly interview prospects before casting off, and to plan a stop after a few days in case you don't get along at sea. I've had crew and I've been crew. Some experiences have been great, others Not. I only had one trip cut short, but I'm glad we were island hopping.

mora 06-09-2011 02:08 PM

Thank you for the messages. I would like to talk to you about your trip oceanroadmike (sending you a PM), and thanks for the advice Wanderingstar.

oceanroadmike 06-11-2011 01:38 PM

crew

Hi Mora, and thanks for responding. Wanderingstar has some good points about crewing.It is a good idea to make a hop down the coast first, say San Francisco to Monterey.I have a possible crew for the first leg to Hawaii, he is also an RN. I would like to meet in SF to show you the boat and discuss my itinerary, I will need crew on the next leg from Hawaii to the Marshalls, and then to Kosrae in FSM, one of the most beautiful islands I have visited so far.Send me an Email, at mrcurray at yahoo dot com Thanks, Mike:) :)

Greg4cocokai 06-21-2011 05:07 PM

Cocokai still looking for crew

Hi Mora, You responded to my thread and haven't heard back from you. Please email me at: greg4cocokai@yahoo.com if still interested. You can read about us in the May & June latitude 38, Changes section. Great boat chance!
Cheers, Greg

Greg4cocokai 06-21-2011 05:12 PM

Crew

Mora, I think you responded to my Sailing Networks ad. Greg