SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seeking crewing position in Asia or the South Pacific

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Greg4cocokai 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm a nurse in California, 44 years old, about ready to take some serious time off and go sailing (up to a year).

I am a novice, but have been out on day sails in the San Francisco bay many times, and crewed for a week in the Caribbean. I never get seasick, I'm a good cook, good company, and not afraid of hard work.

I've travelled extensively, by myself and with others, and enjoy discovering places and people off the beaten path. That, a love of sailing and nature, and an itch for adventure, are what are behind me hatching this plan.

I'll be ready in September. If you know of a boat I might crew on let me know. Also, if someone has advice on how to be the best crew I can be, I'd like to hear that. Feel free.

Thanks in advance!
Mora

#3 ·
My advice to you both and any cruising crew is to thoroughly interview prospects before casting off, and to plan a stop after a few days in case you don't get along at sea. I've had crew and I've been crew. Some experiences have been great, others Not. I only had one trip cut short, but I'm glad we were island hopping.

#5 ·
crew

Hi Mora, and thanks for responding. Wanderingstar has some good points about crewing.It is a good idea to make a hop down the coast first, say San Francisco to Monterey.I have a possible crew for the first leg to Hawaii, he is also an RN. I would like to meet in SF to show you the boat and discuss my itinerary, I will need crew on the next leg from Hawaii to the Marshalls, and then to Kosrae in FSM, one of the most beautiful islands I have visited so far.Send me an Email, at mrcurray at yahoo dot com Thanks, Mike:) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.