Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011

skipwiley1 is on a distinguished road
P.R. To Delaware

56 ft ketch in need of refit, needs crew to take it from Puerto Rico to Delaware around august first
Old 07-14-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Hurricane season, you might wait. And I'm sure prospective crew wonder how much refitting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2011

skipwiley1 is on a distinguished road
Ok here's the skinny, the boat is a 56' pilot house ketch, it has a full keel 6' draft and a 16' ft beam at 25 tons she takes waves well, the mast step, and running rigging have been replaced, the standing rigging has been replaced or repaired as nec. She needs paint and her railing and toe rail need to be replaced, engine needs work but runs. No hot water and and ally of lights are out, but all the essentials work she is roomy and comfortable with a full 8 ft of headroom. Here's the rub I need to get back to P.a. And get back to work I can't afford to have people here do all the work, my options are sell it, trade down with somebody back home or sail it home, I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Old 07-14-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
DO you need crew to help refitting or crew(s) to take her up to DE? I am game if you are going up outside ICW

What are the spec and inventories on the vessel and your experience?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-14-2011

emt281101 is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I am very interested in a crew position aboard your boat. I do have a USCG Master's 50 ton license, with both sailing and towing endorsements. While I don't have a resume, I have outlined my experience below.

My father first took me sailing on the Chesapeake Bay when I was 6 months old; I have been sailing ever since. When I was 8, I began racing on both small boats (dinghies), and Keel Boats. My keel boat racing experience includes a Cal 2-30, C&C 33, Express 35, J/22, J/24, J/29, J/30, J/35, J/42, Melges 24, Merit 25, Navy 44, and a Santa Cruz 70. My dinghy experience includes Lasers, 420s, 470s, JY15s, Thistles, and Optimists. I have done many distance races, including the Round Block Island Race and Vineyard race, both in 2008.

I have been cruising my entire life. My cruising experience includes a Pearson Ariel (similar to a Pearson Triton, only smaller), a Morgan 30, Jeanneau 35, Cal 2-27, Beneteau 35.7, and currently a Bayfield 32. I have sailed offshore many times, including a trip in November 2008 from Annapolis, Maryland to St. Maarten, in the Caribbean. This past June, I sailed from Tortola to Providence, RI, via Bermuda, aboard a Caliber 37.

I began coaching sailing and racing when I was 13- in 2001. I have been teaching junior sailors every summer since then, teaching everything from 8 year old beginners (kids who have never set foot on a boat) to 16 year olds in advanced racing. I have taught at the Baltimore County Sailing Center for 7 summers (Baltimore County Sailing Center - Home), and in 2008 taught at the Tred Avon Yacht Club, in Oxford, Maryland (tayc.com). I have taught Ideal 18s, Rainbows, 420s, Lasers, Optis, and Hunter Xcites. Last summer I taught sailing aboard Lasers, Opti's, and Rainbows at YMCA Camp Letts in Edgewater, where I continued to teach school groups and private groups canoeing and team building activities through December. I am a Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor through US Sailing, and am also a Maryland Certified EMT-Basic, with plans to study for my paramedic license within the next few years.

I wonder if my qualifications meet your requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Corey Mitchell
Old 07-14-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Sorry, can't help but think you need a tow boat with crew. Just seems..a bit too "seat of the pants" for me, and this is one crew request that actually peaked my interest!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-14-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Why? OP stated that the engine runs. Hope the sails and rigging are good shape. No hot water and cabin lights are minor. If OP just got the boat, he must have the recent survey. Fix the musts and start the voyage. It is really getting late in the season. But the hurricane forecast is quite good in recent years.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-15-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
When has the last hurricane "forcast" been accurate? Can you really "forecast: a hurricane?

Where did that flying American flag come from under my avatar? Damn now its gone

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-15-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Perhaps we have different expectations on Hurricane forecast. For me after reviewing today's weather chart, I am comfortable to set sail from P.R to head to Floria or Beaufort today. I don't expect any hurricane will head to FL or NC within 7 days. There is always risks, but I am comfortable enough to let my children to take that voyage.

As long as I can continue to receive the weather updates on route and adjust my plan accordingly. I am far ahead and feel fortunate when comparing to those sailors in the Columbus days.

The weatherman can be wrong. It happens frequently. But fortunately, they are seldom to be so wrong without any warning. If this happens, deal with it accordingly. We will continue to seek for better forecast, but I am satisfied what we have now, even willing to put my children in a well calculated risk voyage. They need to learn some how some where. It may be better to learn while they are young and strong. Survival of fittest. We shall not live in a sheltered life.

Of course, I don't expect others will do the same.

Fine Print:

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-15-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.