SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CREW WANTED Cruising East Coast, Fla, Bahamas, Caribbean

11K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  William8491 
#1 · (Edited)
Crew Mate Wanted -- Cruising Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean this winter 2011-2012

Crew Mate for sailing and cruising from Florida, through Bahamas & Caribbean embarking January 2012 Fla east. Looking for an individual for V-berth cabin and to share expenses approx $150 a week.

30ft S2 Center Cockpit with fore and aft cabins. Leisurely sail/cruise from Florida to Bahamas and on to Caribbean to enjoy the resplendent splendor and beauty of nature, sunrise, sunsets, wildlife, nature, meeting new people, sailing/motoring, enjoying the adventure of a lifetime.

Compatibility is the only requisite, must have strong positive outlook through all situations, experience is not an issue as sailing is learn by doing exercise, to get the feeling of the equipment and the crew, to work as a team to cruise, for new experiences.

I love laughing and joking (wanna be comedian, dry sense of humor) and am looking for like minded person to team up for the trip. I share my voyages with "Autie the Boat Kitty" who grew up on the boat, So you'll have to love animals.

Get in touch and we can start a dialogue to get know one another and test out the compatibility.

Douglas Fun-Loving-Sailor

Douglas Fun-Loving-Sailor

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Doug, enjoy your stay.

I can't do the whole trip with you but I would take all off-shore (coast) with you. I will prepare and be full-equipped for off-shore sailing. I have a flexible schedule unless I am traveling. But time is very precious for me so I can't join you for sight seeing on ICW

I will pay all my own expense and provide free food for our voyage. My gourmet food is better than most if not all 5-star restaurant chef. However, it does not come with dessert or coffee.

Yes, I was a class crown. I entertained my teachers and classmates through out my years in HS and yet, I was the top of my class in grade. I have been entertaining my family and my colleagues until my time is up. :). In other words, I am funny as hell.

Please do tell us: What are the boat inventories? This will help others to decide to join you or not. Save time for both sides.

Good Luck :)

#3 ·
Hello! My girlfriend and I are looking to crew this upcoming fall and winter. We are wilderness guides and have been working in Alaska this summer and would like our next step to be working on a boat. We are an extremely hard-working, energetic young couple and are both fast learners. We are also willing to go pretty much anywhere-ideally somewhere warm as we've spent the last 6 months in the arctic circle. We are both more than competent cooks as our previous work experience has allowed us to cook in a number of different environments and for both large and small groups. Resume's are available upon request. Please feel free to email us at: wawnerc@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Clay and Maggie

#5 ·
Good to hear from you rocDAWG,

It sounds good especially the "class clown" thing as without you how would we have survived school at all?

I am not to sure what to list for inventories so let me know what I could list, as it is good to get suggestions to make this more communicative.

Douglas

#6 ·
Frogwatch,

Good to hear from you. I'm thinking near Nov. 1st crossing to Bahamas as I want to enjoy the finer points of the east coast, especially Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Long Island sound, NYC, and the high points from Norfolk to Fla on the ICW which I have cruised both ways once, so there are a few ports I would like to see more of.

I have not cruised the Bahamas so any info and tips you have would be welcomed.

Douglas

#7 ·
Clay and Maggie,

It looks like you enjoy adventure too. I am not clear if you are looking for a paid passage, where you'll work aboard. I am using up my investments and savings which are finite so I would like to share expenses. Other than that you sound like the answer to my crew wanted.

How's your sense of humor?

Douglas

#8 ·
Would love to find out more, married white male here, and this is what I am looking for. I can not do the whole trip but might be able to do a couple weeks in december and january or february. I can pay my own way and do my part to help around the ship. Have a little exp. with sailing, not much at this point. Would love to spend some time on the water this winter, do not care where it is at. In the construction business, winter is very slow. If interested just let me know, as you said we have plenty time to work out the details and get to know each other a little better.

#9 ·
Kyhillbilly,

Good to hear from yawl. Let's keep in touch for possibly coming aboard for a couple of weeks in the winter months. Possibly in the Bahamas or Caribbean by winter.

I will continue with this post and threads so keep tuned and we might be able to meet in the tropics.

Douglas

#10 ·
Kyhillbilly,

Yes it's the age old question; where does the urge for sailing originate?

It's the call of the sea, the adventure, the syncronicity with nature and the flow of the sea.

In my case, I sometimes think that I could have been a sailing ship's captain in a previous life. I can remember from an early age being mesmerized by the swashbucklers in movies and reading books like Horatio Hornblower.

There is nothing like it, sailing with the sound of the sea and nature.

Fun-Loving-Sailor
Douglas

#11 ·
Hey Douglas,

Looks like there are a lot of interested folks posting here already, but if arrangements don't work out, I'm good to go! I'm actually going to be in Meredith, NH the last week of August, so the logistics may work out nicely depending on when you're planning to depart. I also have no dependencies or time constraints whatsoever, so I can do the whole trip.

I do have some sailing experience: Learned to sail small craft in Chicago on Lake Michigan and now I'm looking to get into cruising. I just completed a live-aboard ASA certification course, so I want to rack up some miles for my log book and I really like the idea of a leisurely cruise with lots of stops to explore.

I also like to think my sense of humor is well-developed - during my 7 years in Chicago I got involved in improv and sketch comedy, so writing and performing comedy are hobbies of mine.

Email is ranko.vs.chicagoatgmail.com

Thanks,
Seth

#12 ·
Douglas,
Wonderful to hear back from you! Ideally Maggie and I would want to be paid at some point, but if it is the right opportunity we can absolutely share expenses regarding food, etc... We both love romping around the world and working with kids so we've got a ton of energy and a plethora of adolescent jokes. Maggie might be the funniest human alive. I look forward to hearing from you about other logistics and the like and am extremely excited about this opportunity.

Cheers,
Clay

#13 ·
Sailing to Caribbean

Hello! :) my name is lexi . I would send a private message because I am not sure how to find replies again from posts on forums, but I cant because I need to write more posts before I am allowed. I dont know if you could send me one? . My friend Rachel and I are planning to move to St. Johns and we live in New Jersey now . we were going to go to Fl first and find a way by boat or plane to get to STJ, but I saw your post and thought that sailing there all the way would be awesome!! we were planning on going around that time. :)!!! If you still are looking for a crew there , let me know. I know you are sailing out of Maine so we could meet you there, or in Florida, or anywhere inbetween. :)
Hope the everything is going great!!!

#14 ·
Hello! :) my name is lexi . I would send a private message because I am not sure how to find replies again from posts on forums, but I cant because I need to write more posts before I am allowed. I dont know if you could send me one? . My friend Rachel and I are planning to move to St. Johns and we live in New Jersey now . we were going to go to Fl first and find a way by boat or plane to get to STJ, but I saw your post and thought that sailing there all the way would be awesome!! we were planning on going around that time. :)!!! If you still are looking for a crew there , let me know. I know you are sailing out of Maine so we could meet you there, or in Florida, or anywhere inbetween. :)
Hope the everything is going great!!!
Hi Lexi,

Good to hear that you are interested in sailing south in September.

Yes, I am heading in the direction of St John U.S. Virgin islands. The trip0 is leisurely in order to enjoy the east coast, bahamas and caribbean.

I am communicating with a couple of other potential crew mates but no one has been chosen yet. It comes down to the intuitive feeling inside that tells one which choice to make.

So please tell me about yourselves and I will tell you about my self. And we can see how well we could crew together.

email is sail@dd-tv.com

Douglas

#15 ·
Hi Douglas ~ Im in florida, have a keen sense of humor,(wet
& dry), have sailing/cruising/livaboard experience, in Florida & the Bahamas, I/can appreciate the compatibilty & the team effort it takes to travel the wind on a sailboat. Hows it goin, so far ? I am available for crewing/cruising/merryment/dolphinplay, perhaps up until first-to-mid weeks in Jan, as i need to be in Big Pine Key for a birth i am attending, (am a Midwife), then able to cast off again~ ~ ~

Be Well Fed & Happy,
Sarah

#16 ·
Hi Sarah,

Good to hear from you. Yes compatibility, I've found, can make or break a cruise. That's where I believe that keen sense of humor is the balance. So it is great to hear of the wet and dry humor, ha ha.

So far I've corresponded with a few folks with interest in sailing, and have a friend going for the first 10 days, Sept. 20 to 30. Then no one has confirmed joining the voyage for another week or longer yet, in the range of Connecticut to Florida.

There is an individual interested in going from Oct 27 to February, which would be from Ft Lauderdale to the BVI. So as it stands now Oct 1st to Oct 26 is open for the east coast cruise which would involve meeting you from Conn. to Fla depending on your schedule and preferences and from the BVI in Feb 2012 cruising to the Grenadines and back up the island islands from April to June.

It sounds like you have some rich experience and would be a very interesting and entertaining crew mate as we all learn from one another as everyone has unique and varied experiences to share.

Communicating online is a good way to see if personalities can jive in a level of harmony to get along on a cruise seems to be the next step. So if interested let know your thoughts, feelings and possible scheduling. If you are comfortable with communicating via email, which is a little more safe and efficient, reply to sail@dd-tv.com and we can begin the process.

How are you with kitties? Autie the boat kitty is our cruising companion and is at home on Friendship the boat.

Douglas

#17 ·
Hey fun loving sailor,

I think I might be a good fit for your trip. I do have a USCG Master's 50 ton license, with both sailing and towing endorsements. While I don't have a resume, I have outlined my experience below.

My father first took me sailing on the Chesapeake Bay when I was 6 months old; I have been sailing ever since. When I was 8, I began racing on both small boats (dinghies), and Keel Boats. My keel boat racing experience includes a Cal 2-30, C&C 33, Express 35, J/22, J/24, J/29, J/30, J/35, J/42, Melges 24, Merit 25, Navy 44, and a Santa Cruz 70. My dinghy experience includes Lasers, 420s, 470s, JY15s, Thistles, and Optimists. I have done many distance races, including the Round Block Island Race and Vineyard race, both in 2008.

I have been cruising my entire life. My cruising experience includes a Pearson Ariel (similar to a Pearson Triton, only smaller), a Morgan 30, Jeanneau 35, Cal 2-27, Beneteau 35.7, and currently a Bayfield 32. I have sailed offshore many times, including a trip in November 2008 from Annapolis, Maryland to St. Maarten, in the Caribbean. This past June, I sailed from Tortola to Providence, RI, via Bermuda, aboard a Caliber 37.

I began coaching sailing and racing when I was 13- in 2001. I have been teaching junior sailors every summer since then, teaching everything from 8 year old beginners (kids who have never set foot on a boat) to 16 year olds in advanced racing. I have taught at the Baltimore County Sailing Center for 7 summers (Baltimore County Sailing Center - Home), and in 2008 taught at the Tred Avon Yacht Club, in Oxford, Maryland (tayc.com). I have taught Ideal 18s, Rainbows, 420s, Lasers, Optis, and Hunter Xcites. Last summer I taught sailing aboard Lasers, Opti's, and Rainbows at YMCA Camp Letts in Edgewater, where I continued to teach school groups and private groups canoeing and team building activities through December. I am a Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor through US Sailing, and am also a Maryland Certified EMT-Basic, with plans to study for my paramedic license within the next few years.

I also have quite a sense of humor myself, and I tend to find humor in most situations. I am a huge fan of Monty Python, which has a dry sense of humor.

I wonder if my qualifications meet your requirements. Should you require more information, email me at captcore@gmail.com

#18 ·
Hi Doug,

We are two females looking for crew opportunities starting anytime after Nov. 9th. We would have no problem meeting you anywhere in the U.S. We are new to SailNet, so can't send PMs yet, but would like to know more about the adventure you have planned and to let you know about us to see if we'd be a good fit! Do you have an email we can contact you through? Otherwise, please feel free to email us at jhofman25[at]gmail[dot]com.

Thanks!

Olivia & Janet

#19 ·
Just what I am looking for!!! Working vacation to Bahamas. Me and Mate want to go. He (soon to be retiring Navy Chief) has some experience, I (love to laugh and I cook) have had 1 basic lesson, but want to learn and get my own boat. Available Dec 18-Jan 7 for trip to Bahamas. Please email and check out my facebook page Julianna Lockley...can't wait!!!

#20 ·
ahoy. shiver me timbers. ho ho ho fe fi fo fum and a bottle of rum!

im a single male, 27, trying desparately to learn to sail. and im a poet i was not aware of that. it havent made much progress living in nevada. its hard sailing in the dirt. but i did find a whale belt buckle at a thrift store the other day.

so youre looking for someone funny are ya? you want to be a comedian do ya? well, just so happens I AM a comedian. if you check out the latest issue of Fictitous magazine, you can see a review of one of my late night stand up acts. the crickets wents wild.

ill trade wind you strait up. ill be funny and entertaining and cook and scrub the poop deck if you teach me to sail. im working at a lumber mill currently and have saved up 4 geese, three guineas and a duck so i can pay my own way and help with shared expenses. im good at sharing so you can have the expenses most of the time. ive commercial fished in alaska so i know what its like to spend time and be cramped and miserable on a boat. im pretty good looking if you consider don knotts attractive. and im smart too. you know newton, einstein?...fools! im really easy to get along with if you enjoy getting along. but mostly i just want to learn to sail. im scuba certified and have a pilots lisence incase you want to fly your boat somewhere. i enjoy sitting quietly in a room by myself. im thinking about getting a yoyo.

now you know alittle about me. when do we leave?

oh yea, my name is fletcher. fletcher the do-nothing. thats what nobody calls me

#23 ·
My 28' S2 due to be back in water at MArsh harbor Boatyard between Christmas 2011 and New YEars. We will prob go over to Hope Town and maybe up to Green Turtle (myself, wife and daughter). A few weeks later, will leave Abacos to go to Eleuthras for 10 days or so. Will leave her in Spanish Wells for a month or two.

Contact me before you cross to Bahamas.

ohara5.0#mindspring.com (replace the # with @)

#24 ·
I'm trying to get to Antigua, have flown a few times, looking for an adventurous alternative. When in January are you leaving? How long to Antigua and what pets if any are practical for ocean voyages? I have rudimentary experience sailing and navigating, lived in the Florida Keys for a while, currently in California. Spent many years in the music business, a good friend in the same is an Antiguan native. I'm a senior gent, fit and healthy.
denis

#26 ·
Hey!
I am definately interested:), my name is Foreste and I love sailing and scuba diving and am looking to gain some sailing experience! haha, I got kicked out of class for laughing too hard several times!I love animals, I have a cat too and her name is gardenshed. one day i want to sail from Alaska to new zealand and am looking for some experience before then. I have been sailing in the Carribean before and am looking for every opportunity to head on back.:), lemme know, thanks,
Foreste

#27 ·
Teresa,

Good to hear from you on your interest in sailing. I apologize for being slow. I have had the flu for a week.

Yes from February forward is open for confirmation of a crew mate. It seems to work well having a 2 week commitment to see how it all works out.

So let me know your thoughts on joining the adventure.

Douglas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.