Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011
1973 Morgan O/I 33

bjslife is on a distinguished road
Wanted Captain or crew to hire Oregon southbound

Im looking for a captain or crew to help out sailing my 1973 Morgan O/I 33' from Coos Bay Oregon to the Channel Islands around mid October. I am very new to sailing but have my 101,103,104 ASA but have not sailed the Oregon to California coast and would like someone or a few aboard that have to give advice and to help out. There will be myself 42,girlfriend 42(has no experience sailing) and 2 small dogs and we smoke cigarettes. Just a heads up so your not offended. Serious sailors only NO DRUGS! and drink only at anchor. Also advice in outfitting my boat for the cruise. If weather permits it will just be a 15-25 or so miles out and straight down with a few stops. Thank you

Last edited by bjslife; 08-30-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2011

eteach is on a distinguished road
Bjslife,

Check out the two recent www threesheetsnw com articles regarding sailing south from the PNW. I have made the trip from Seattle to So Cal 7 or 8 times and the conditions discussed in those articles are typical between June and September. The last time I sailed south in October was significantly more challenging and I will not make that mistake again (sailing south after September). All of my West Coast trips have been in full offshore capable boats larger that 40' with experienced crews of 4 or more.

Have someone experienced in sailing the West Coast check out your boat several weeks in advance of the departure in case some equipment needs upgrading. Rent a EPIRB and be sure to have a good quality working VHF.

Study some heavy weather sailing books or articles and remember that when the weather gets bad on the Oregon and No Cal coast most if not all ports will be closed or not recommended for entry owing to breaking seas over the bar.

Have you considered putting your O/I 33 on a truck for a quick trip down I-5. When you total up the cost of good offshore equipment, wear and tear, crew costs, fuel and food the truck may be a good value.

If you proceed with your plan to sail south in October hire the best skipper and crew possible and fly the GF and dogs to So Cal, it may save your relationship especially with the dogs.

Good Luck

Calypso43
(ex eteach)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.