SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CREW WANTED: Florida to Panama.

8K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  marvbrinn 
#1 ·
Hi fellow cruisers!

I plan to move my boat to Panama by the end of December. I hope to leave from South Florida by mid November, but only after threat of hurricanes is over. I am currently in NC, but can pick up crew in Florida. I live aboard alone, and would like to have 2 additional crew on board for this trip.

Route is likely to be from Ft. Lauderdale, through the Bahamas, through the windward passage, a stop in Jamaica, possible stops at Isla De Providencia and the San Blas. I want to make some stops, so it won't just be a delivery grind, and we'll have time for having fun ashore.

The boat is a 1982 a CS36T, a 36ft sloop. I have cruised on her in the FL keys and through the Bahamas. She's equipped with solar and wind power, a 30hp Westerbeke diesel, autopilot, Garmin chartplotter, 100 gallon fresh water tanks, propane stove with oven, etc.

I pay all expenses while on the boat, and may be able to help with transportation to or from the boat if you aren't coming from too far away. Message me with any questions about me or the boat.

Ciao, Margo

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd like to join you!

Dear Margo,
I can meet you in NC or Florida. I'm 63 y/o; happily married with four grown children. I have about 15 years sailing experience in a Snipe which I own, and a moderate amount of experience in larger sailboats. Last year I attended and competed the Sailing Skills and Seamanship course taught by the USCG Auxiliary. I've been in 5-foot waves on Lake Erie in a 34-foot sailboat.
I am a retired trial lawyer and former Air Force pilot. I'm generally a quiet kind of guy. I don't drink or smoke. I read alot. In the attached photo, I'm the tall guy on the right standing next to my wife.
I am available at the end of October, but I need to be back in New York before Christmas. I can handle my own expenses.

-Bob Dwyer

#5 ·
Wow! That's one of my decks - CS Yachts January '78 to late '82. Are you original owner? Good to see them making long voyages. They're still my top choice in that size range, even after years working for C & C and Hinterhoeller, and commissioning a variety of the Hunters and Beneteaus. There tough, we lifted them on the main chainplates and aft toe rails to hang the keels. Enjoy the trip:D

#8 ·
Crewing

Hello Margo
I've been sailing the LI Sound for many years and wanting to sail offshore and in the Caribean. I own a 28 ft sloop and am a Licenced Captain.
I would be able to meet you in Florida around that time.
Larry
Larry,

Please send me an email so I can respond to you. You are not receiving PMs.

Margo
roark [dot] margo [at] g mail [dot] com

#10 ·
Hi Margo,

We are two females looking for sailing opportunities starting anytime after 11/9 and wanting to make some serious plans as as soon as possible. We could easily meet you wherever you'll be in FL. We are new to SailNet, so can't send PMs yet, but we'd like to talk more with you, find out more about your plans, and tell you more about us!

You can email us at jhofman25[at]gmail[dot]com or we can email you at the address you listed above if that is okay.

Thanks!

Janet & Olivia

#11 ·
Dear Margo,
I have not had any experience on the ocean. I have only sailed Lake Erie in 22' to 34' sailboats. I have never spent the night on the water. I have never entered a harbour that was unknown to me.
I have a lot of experience sailing my 16' Snipe. I have a pretty good understanding of navigation derived from 7 years as an Air Force pilot. I don't smoke or drink, and I like cats.
I'd be willing to help out from NC to FL if you'd like to have me.
-Bob (I'm sending this on the public board because I don't think my private messages are getting through. The PM includes my phone numbers.)

#12 ·
Still looking?

Greetings Margo,

My name is Brian Love, and I wanted to express my interest in your voyage, in case you are still seeking crew. I am a 26 year old male, builder and farmer by trade; and am in need of some sailing experience. I don't drink or smoke; live in NC; and could leave by mid-November. Feel free to contact me via brianlove237@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance for your consideration & response,
Brian

#14 ·
hello margo

would love to help you relocate your boat. i've a reasonable amount of deep sea time.....s.f. hawaii r/t: s.f. peurto vallarta r/t; bvi charters; currently i'm in s.f. teaching sailing on 26 to 34 footers. have worked on ferries, and tugs as well so i'm very comfortable with maintenance of systems and rigging etc. please msg. me if you are still looking. cheers george
alohaguy@ix.netcom.com

#15 ·
I would like to join you. I am available Jan-Mar

Available worldwide between January and March. Willing to pay my own expenses. December could be possible but only for 7-10 days. Sailing experience crewing and as skipper: (Costa Rica - Galapagos), (Panama - Mexico), (Tortola BVI - Bahamas - Miami), (Borneo - Singapore -Langkawi, Malaysia). Sailboats I have owned: 32' O'Day center cockpit ketch, Endeavour 30 catamaran, 32' Oceanis 321 and Catalina 22. Engineering degree, professional pilot. I am comfortable with maintaining engines and working with electronics and navigation. Depending on length of the voyage my wife could be available as well. She does very well at sea and would join in the watch rotation and help in the galley. I look forward to hearing what opportunities may await. Email: hkappes at hotmail dot com

#17 ·
I saw your post and I've been looking for almost that exact route. If you'd be interested, I'm looking to sail my way down into the Cancun area and do some land shopping. I can support myself and if it's out of your way I'd be happy to pitch in for the extra distance.

I'd also be happy to stay with you all the way down to panama. I love to sail and am really looking to spend some time on deck. I haven't been on a boat for years now, too busy working, and by now I've probably forgotten everything I learned as a kid.

I'm a 21 year old male by the way, still a kid to most I guess.

#18 ·
Margo

I am available any time for your voyage. I am 23 year old licensed Master Captain, with over 800 hours offshore. I am interested in your trip. I have been teaching sailing for 10 years, and am also an EMT.

Email me at captcore (at) gmail (dot) com, if oyu are interested.

Thanks

#20 ·
Hello Captain, I have my own boat an Ericson 30. Im looking for a buddy boat. I have just sailed to Florida from Charleston SC, and am in Hollywood just south of Fort Lauderdale. My plans for the winter are wide open, let me know if you could use some company, Best wishes Arlette

#21 ·
I am heading for Costa Rica and Panama is close...Im ready to go... Email me for details and I will reply back with my cel # HighSeasPirate at G mail... I have 20 years experience sailing around the Hawaiian Islands...Sail in 25' + seas and the tail end of a hurricane...I have enough storys to last to panama and back 12 times with no repeats. I am all about adventure and live it...

#22 ·
Florida > Panama

Hi...if it isn't too late, timing-wise, I would be very interested in crewing with you. I made almost the same trip two years ago...Chesapeake Bay to the DR to Cartagena to the San Blas. I was the cook. I also have an OS, Twic and STCW certificates. I could join you in NC if it's not too late.

Sincerely,
Nick Parks

#24 ·
Hello Margo
I am 53 year old male and have captained a 44' Hunter and a 44' Catalina Morgan from Cancuun to Tampa on several occasions and from Cancuun to Belize then to Tampa and from the Marsh Harbour Bahamas to Tampa last year. I have captained large boats in the BVI and have captained a boat through a mild storm of approx 30 foot seas and winds with gust in excess of 40 knots.
I would be interested in being on your crew. I am new to this site so I dont know any other way to contact except by e-mail mine is dep606@hotmail.com would like to talk to you.

#26 ·
Crewing

Hi,

Yes we are leaving later than I'd hoped. But my route won't take us anywhere near tha VIs. We'll go from Grt Inagua through the windward passage to Jamaica, then straight down to Panama.

Could you get yourself to Panama?

I'll keep you in mind for later legs.

Thanks,
Margo
roark dot margo at gmail dot com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.