SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Captain Wanted San Fran to Curacao (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/79907-captain-wanted-san-fran-curacao.html)

Interaxions 10-18-2011 12:49 PM

Captain Wanted San Fran to Curacao

Captain wanted to take two newbies (mom 58 has some experience but not long voyage, good shape & 18 yr old)

TRAIN THE KID ON THE WAY (hope he listens:o) Wondering about the TIME TO GO - don't know the prevailing winds - sometime between November and March - Norseman 447 solid vessel, been upgraded.

Please advise on time and cost and availability - res and refs a must. This is my family!!

captcore 10-23-2011 01:52 PM

Hello

I am a 23 year old licensed captain in the Baltimore Area. I was supposed to be headed to the islands this winter, but that trip fell through. I am very interested in helping you with your voyage, and am available as soon as you are ready to leave. I would like to discuss it further with you, but cannot P.M.

Please email me at captcore (at) gmail (dot) com, so that we may discuss further, and so I may forward my resume.

Thanks in advance,

Capt. Corey Mitchell

billyruffn 10-24-2011 08:34 PM

Good news and bad news re your route.

Good news is that if you leave soon you may have a reasonably pleasant winter sailing from California to Panama.

Bad news is that there are only two ways to get to Curacao from Pamana: Sailing around South America ending with a pleasant down wind sail across the Caribbean to the ABCs; or, beating your brains out sailing 700+ miles to windward through the roughest part of the Caribbean Sea.

Panama to Curacao is a case of “You can’t get there from here”.

imagine2frolic 10-26-2011 11:34 AM

I was going to sugggest sailing north from Panama, and then following the stream around to the Bahamas. Then folow the thornless passage. I had a friend who did what you suggest all the way too Trinidad. It took him several months of tortorous sailing, with boat damage. I would definately look into alternatives........i2f

billyruffn 10-26-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagine2frolic (Post 790467)
I was going to sugggest sailing north from Panama, and then following the stream around to the Bahamas. Then folow the thornless passage. i2f

You’re correct....there is a third route as you described. And a variation on that is, having arrived in Florida, to run up the SE coast to Beaufort, NC and then sail direct to the VI or Puerto Rico and then across the Carib. to the ABCs. This involves less windward work, but you don’t see as much along the way (e.g. Bahamas, DR, PR, etc).

sv_prana 11-13-2011 04:55 PM

Hello, please pm me or email me at oceanadventurers@gmail.com if you're still looking for a captain/crew. This sounds like the perfect job for us - we're experienced, trustworthy, easy to get along with, and we love to teach.
Thanks

killarney_sailor 11-13-2011 05:11 PM

I agree with the advice you have been given about how hard it is to get from Panama to Curacao. Any competent captain you might hire would be fully cognizant of this and able to tell you the options and difficulties.

Venture Beyond 11-14-2011 01:27 PM

Hi,

My name is Ryan Langley and I am a 19 year old licensed captain from Port Angeles, WA. I am contacting you about your request for a skipper for the passage between San Francisco and Curaco.

I have sailed my entire life, logging over 17,000 miles in the past three years. I trained extensively with Brian Caldwell (Bj Caldwell the youngest person to sail around the world in 1996 and one of the world's best sailors) on four Pacific crossings, and have sailed extensively in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. I sailed from Newfoundland to Greenland and down to Maine on the MV Wanderbird this summer (wanderbirdcruises.com).

I know Panama and the Caribbean because last winter I was chosen by Jesse Martin (www.jessemartin.net) to deliver his Contessa from the Bahamas to Panama, a voyage I made solo. I've sailed through the Panama Canal twice.

Your trip looks very doable for a early December departure, taking two months or so to get to Curaco. The last leg, upwind would be a bit bumpy but very doable with a good vessel.

I would love to share my sailing skills with you and your son. Please let me know if you're still looking for a skipper for the voyage. My email is southernocean@juno.com.

Fair Winds,

Ryan Langley

DrivinSteve 11-27-2011 08:25 PM

Hi,
I hold a USCG 50T Master with Sail endorsement, ASA instructor and current TWIC,

ISAF SaS, STCW, CPR, First Aid/AED and drug screen credentials.
I am also a certified SCUBA diver and private pilot.

My experience ranges from Laser Pico dingy to 12M AC Grand Prix yachts, one designs

and displacement cruisers. I am very familiar with east coast waters and routes from

MA to FL (outside and ICW) as well as the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
I specialize in helping new owners learn to sail their boat and I will assume any role that

you wish.
Excellent mechanical/electrical skills.

I am located in NY/NJ but will travel!
Available for crew and deliveries.
Please reply directly to the email below if your need still exists and you want a

professional.
Cheers,

Steve Tuccio
908-419-8611
KC2WLP
steven.tuccio@us.army.mil