Beaufort, NC to Tortola, BVI via Culebra, PR - January 6/7/8 - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011

blanc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
Merry Christmas too you too sir.

We have a saying: Don't feed the trolls.

The best way to make them go away is to ignore them.

I'm sure I am not the only person seeking an explanation about the Lion term.
Well, bgeddes, it appears this trip attracted a horde of trolls.

There is only one guest plate at my table during Christmas dough
I cannot feed them all.

Lion ? See chef. He knows so much, so strong he is

Merry Christmas again !
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2011

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanc View Post
Crew wanted to join for January 6 (weather permitting) departure from Beaufort, NC to Tortola, BVI and Culebra, PR on C&C 37R.

Can stay on boat until January 25, will sail back to Culebra around 24th.

Must be able to keep watch and helm. Cooking a plus. Share food and drink cost.

Fast, but spartan boat. Sat phone on deck. Please have some experience in ocean sailing.

Email at bartoszbilinski/at/gmail/dot/com

Thanks.
To me this is a simple request for crew, with just a few requested abilities stated in the posting, and the Email listed for more information.

The way i see it the OP offered a way for people that might want to take this trip to contact them. It is up to the one looking to join said trip to seek the information using the Email provided.

If this OP is not your Cup of OOLong then ,why, let it pass on by, there is no need to trash the thread. you do SN no help in doing this to anyone no matter how long ago they joined SN.

If you don't like the way the post was worded and or the lack of detail then GET OVER IT, not every post on here will have all of the information to answer everyone's Questions for ever trip with a Crew request.

If this is not the trip for you fine let it alone, if you think you might want to go on this trip, and i will bet a few have, then EMAIL the OP'er.

Fair Winds to the ones at Sea and stay warm and dry.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 12-23-2011

LupodiMare is on a distinguished road
And again,
blanc likes this.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-26-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusALilBitTwisted View Post
To me this is a simple request for crew, with just a few requested abilities stated in the posting, and the Email listed for more information.

The way i see it the OP offered a way for people that might want to take this trip to contact them. It is up to the one looking to join said trip to seek the information using the Email provided.

If this OP is not your Cup of OOLong then ,why, let it pass on by, there is no need to trash the thread. you do SN no help in doing this to anyone no matter how long ago they joined SN.

If you don't like the way the post was worded and or the lack of detail then GET OVER IT, not every post on here will have all of the information to answer everyone's Questions for ever trip with a Crew request.

If this is not the trip for you fine let it alone, if you think you might want to go on this trip, and i will bet a few have, then EMAIL the OP'er.

Fair Winds to the ones at Sea and stay warm and dry.
Thank you MobiusALilBitTwisted.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupodiMare View Post
And again, are there any sailors on this site? You might get wet? Are you joking?
Thank you LupodiMare !

Merry Christmas !
Old 12-23-2011

bgeddes is on a distinguished road
I have been courteous and one of the few that have not been judgmental. I wished you well from the beginning.

The comments about lake and bay 'lions' could be considered offensive by those still not prepared for the treachery of open ocean sailing. Certainly you did not start sailing on a blue water boat and spent some time in a boat not worthy of big waters. Your skills did not start there either.

Can you please explain the label of 'Lion'?

I am trying desperately to convince myself it is not condescending.
Old 12-24-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Of course it was condescending...

Of course the "Chesapeake Lions" comment was condescending, which is the way blanc has answered every post, except those few that support him.

I was initially intrigued by the trip. Like most of the sailors here, I would like to gain more offshore experience.

I disagree with the idea that a captain who posts a crew-wanted ad has only invited private e-mail responses. Anyone can register here and post any message he or she likes, provided it complies with the rules. That is the nature of an internet forum - it is not a one-way communication. That is also freedom of expression. Of course, responses should be somewhat relevant to the original post and the subforum.

We are a community, too, and many of us have enjoyed getting to know each other better through our participation in the forum posts, which can be informative and entertaining at the same time. Someone who posts here for the first time in a self-serving manner has opened himself up to greater inquiry and suspicion.

Going offshore in someone else's boat is a very serious matter. Every week, we read about offshore passages that have gone wrong, sometimes due to the poor judgment of the captain, or due to problems between the captain and the crew. The EPIRB incidents are perfect examples of those problems.

I believe a captain or crew member who posts here has subjected himself to a public interview process. We are all equals here, some crew are captains and some captains crew. An absurd question is perfectly legitimate inquiry in a job interview or any other interview.

Blanc could have answered any of the crew questions with grace and humor, instead of hostility, defensiveness and malice. (He also went out of his way to repeatedly insult our fellow member sawingknots, who is a good guy and a valuable contributor to the forum, despite being grammatically challenged).

For example, in response to sawingknots humorous question about uniforms, he could have said, "I don't require uniforms, but you are free to wear one if it is your regular practice."

In response to my EPIRB question, he could have answered, "A boat is not a democracy, only the captain will activate the EPIRB, if he can remember where he hid it, and only if the boat is sinking, or a crew member is seriously hurt."

In response to my half-joking boat rules question, he could have answered, "Sorry, no guns, no shooting at buoys, no drugs, no mutinies, but I will not search your bags. Perhaps you would be more interested in a hunting trip."

He also could have legitimately declined to be interviewed or answered, "E-mail me with any ridiculous questions."

This forum is working well as an open exchange of information. If you do not like the way this particular captain has been exposed, or you feel that you are exempt from any public inquiry from potential crew because you feel you are somehow superior, perhaps you should consider other avenues for seeking crew. A captain may be tested in far more trying circumstances than an internet forum, and the crew's lives may be depending on the outcome of that test.
Old 12-24-2011

What is.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-26-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2011

What is it, ?

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-26-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What is the treachery of offshore (is there an onshore) sailing??
Do a forum search for "EPIRB" and you will find the answer to your question.

Quote:
What are Cheasapeake Lions?
A lion is a symbol of courage.

The Chesapeake is a PROTECTED body of water to be distinguished from the open ocean.

Therefore, a Chesapeake lion is a falsely courageous sailor who has never really been tested offshore, but who erroneously believes he or she is experienced and capable.

It is a sarcastic insult, a derogatory term designed to point out the limited experience of other posters on this forum and to imply that the OP is justifiably courageous because he sails offshore.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-24-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Tags
bvi , crew , culebra , passage , tortola