Beaufort, NC to Tortola, BVI via Culebra, PR - January 6/7/8 - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Jameswilson.....well stated above

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LupodiMare View Post
What is the treachery of offshore (is there an onshore) sailing? Unless you have a really bad crew.
A real sailor, as you claim to be and feel that no one else here is, would know the answer to this question. Probably would not need to ask in the first place.

Just about every message that LupodiMare has posted since joining this week has been condescending. I'm wondering why LupodiMare even sticks around if he or she knows so much.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-24-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
There is a reason the 1500 doesnt go down south in January, wonder what that is?
I've done more southbound January and February deliveries than I care to think about. The weather is very unpredictable. The cold fronts that boil off the US East Coast on a regular basis can make things pretty sporty. That said, I've had fewer issues in January (other than cold) than in October and November. The extreme variability of conditions make scheduling any kind of a rally really problematic. Some years the fronts are three days apart, some years they are five days apart. The good news is that it is only a couple of days to cross the Gulf Stream and into warmer waters.

I respectfully suggest to the OP, as an experienced delivery skipper myself, a few points from the perspective of one often looking for crew, some paid but more often not. That's the way the middle of the market works.

First, a detailed description of the boat and its outfit will greatly increase the chances of volunteers.

Second, a description of the owner/captains experience and skills will greatly increase the chances of volunteers.

Third, forthrightly addressing the biggest issues of the proposed passage (in this case weather) will greatly increase the chances of volunteers. Here you should be able to speak knowledgeably about the weather patterns for the time of year, describe your predeparture weather planning, and your plan for updates underway. Hints (which are based on my educated opinion): any experienced offshore potential crew will not like to hear about GRiBs; synoptic charts and the ability to read them are best, while a qualified weather router is acceptable; at a minimum a weather fax receiver on board, preferably some means of communication like an SSB or sat-phone.

Perhaps I'll see you on the docks in Beaufort NC. I have a delivery from Beaufort to Virgin Gorda in January.

At the moment I'm working on route planning for another one next week from Panama to Guatemala.

Merry Christmas to me! *grin*
blanc likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-24-2011

blanc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Do a forum search for "EPIRB" and you will find the answer to your question.

A lion is a symbol of courage.

The Chesapeake is a PROTECTED body of water to be distinguished from the open ocean.

Therefore, a Chesapeake lion is a falsely courageous sailor who has never really been tested offshore, but who erroneously believes he or she is experienced and capable.

It is a sarcastic insult, a derogatory term designed to point out the limited experience of other posters on this forum and to imply that the OP is justifiably courageous because he sails offshore.
jameswilson, I agree with you, good track, I agree but, lions have lots of courage here, lots of knowledge here and lots of time to troll.

They do not have one reason to answer the POST or the call, but million reasons to troll.

I do not have time for that nonsense, I celebrate Christmas and then I prepare my boat for the trip and then I take off.

And you could figure that out, email was put in here so you could write me IF you are interested. Otherwise, pass it by, or piss back to where you come from.
Old 12-24-2011

blanc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I've done more southbound January and February deliveries than I care to think about. The weather is very unpredictable. The cold fronts that boil off the US East Coast on a regular basis can make things pretty sporty. That said, I've had fewer issues in January (other than cold) than in October and November. The extreme variability of conditions make scheduling any kind of a rally really problematic. Some years the fronts are three days apart, some years they are five days apart. The good news is that it is only a couple of days to cross the Gulf Stream and into warmer waters.

I respectfully suggest to the OP, as an experienced delivery skipper myself, a few points from the perspective of one often looking for crew, some paid but more often not. That's the way the middle of the market works.

First, a detailed description of the boat and its outfit will greatly increase the chances of volunteers.

Second, a description of the owner/captains experience and skills will greatly increase the chances of volunteers.

Third, forthrightly addressing the biggest issues of the proposed passage (in this case weather) will greatly increase the chances of volunteers. Here you should be able to speak knowledgeably about the weather patterns for the time of year, describe your predeparture weather planning, and your plan for updates underway. Hints (which are based on my educated opinion): any experienced offshore potential crew will not like to hear about GRiBs; synoptic charts and the ability to read them are best, while a qualified weather router is acceptable; at a minimum a weather fax receiver on board, preferably some means of communication like an SSB or sat-phone.

Perhaps I'll see you on the docks in Beaufort NC. I have a delivery from Beaufort to Virgin Gorda in January.

At the moment I'm working on route planning for another one next week from Panama to Guatemala.

Merry Christmas to me! *grin*

I am under no obligation to manifest all my skill and equipment in my post or this thread, by the way, I wasn't even given such opportunity, but bashed from the very beginning without reason by sawingknots and jameswilson29 - people who would never take this trip even paid in a superb, steel hulled boat.

There would be, in my opinion, simply too much reading if I wrote more. Whoever would be interested in this trip would answer the call by emailing me. I got two responses and answered them fully.

I will be there next week, shoot me an email, we will have a talk and hot wine

Thanks,

Bartek
Old 12-24-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
it would seem now we have two nuts spewing on this forum and both joined about the same time [you got to wonder] btw do mental institutions have internet?
Old 12-24-2011

Shipislandpirate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shipislandpirate
Sawingknots...You should be able to use their wi-fi and hot showers..lol...While you enjoy your stay....Fair Winds
sawingknots likes this.
Old 12-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanc View Post
I am under no obligation to manifest all my skill and equipment in my post or this thread,
Agreed. I didn't say you were obligated. What is said was that the more information you provide the greater your chances of getting volunteers. It's up to you to decide how much you want crew and how much you are willing to share in order to get that crew.

By the way, some of the "Chesapeake Lions" have a good bit of experience offshore. Just because we might live on and love the Chesapeake doesn't mean we don't leave her embrace. I'd sail with chef2sail any time and sleep well during his watch.

Good luck with your trip. I won't be in Beaufort until after the 22nd. Two trips elsewhere before that.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-25-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
S/V Auspicious

I would sail anyhere with Captain Dave. His skills are incredible and his knowledge and willingness to help as well as give his information to others is priceless. Hihs activity in organizations to preserve our sailing areas as well as the Bay are very important Someday I hope we do get to take that trip together either in the same vessel or as a group.

As you stated so well many of the "lions of the Chesapeake have a great amount of blue water and offshore experience. The comment was meant as a swipe, but actually was a complement to all of us who keep our boats here. We enjoy harboring our boats on the beautiful Chesap[eake where we can wake up in the AM on a creek next to bald eagles and multi colored leaves. The condittions on the Chessie sometimes are far more challenging than the open water sailing offshore due to its shallowness and land configuations and how they interact with the water and winds. Thats not to say that there are perils and large adjustments an offshore passage requires, especially to insure a degree of safety to the boat and the crew which are not found in the confines of the Chesapeake with land no more than 15 miles away at any given point. Lots incidents however occur when coming into the landfall when in difficult conditions vs out at sea.

Many lions have been to the Carribean, New England, England and points further away from home. Our slip mate next to us just got home last spring from taking his 62 Sundeer on the ARCA around the world rally.

I am thinking of having a pennant/ burgee made to hang from our flag halyard
of a lion now to display proudly all the time

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-25-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Merry Christmas all!

Dave your comments made me think of a conversation I had several years ago with a couple from New Zealand who had circumnavigated and lived aboard for the summer there in Solomons MD where I too lived aboard. I enjoyed hearing about their voyages and asked just where was the worst conditions during your circimnavigation. They encountered numerous gales sailing out of Japan, but to my surprise they said the very worse was the conditions where the Potomic meets the Bay. I too have been there in 35 knot winds with sails down under power with the prop coming out of the water in the steep chop. With my current boat I would be sailing rather than under power in those conditions, but it still remains one of my worse conditions too.

The comment from the know it all here reminds me of comments made from the mouth of the south (Ted Turner) when he spoke unkindly about the seagoing abilities of the Great Lakes sailors. Whenever someone speaks thinking that they have see it all, nature will end up biteing them in the ass.
chef2sail likes this.

Tags
bvi , crew , culebra , passage , tortola