Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011
Southbound

isaacpiche is on a distinguished road
Talking 3 Marines seeking passage to South America

Hi there, we're located in Lake Tahoe, California, close to San Francisco and looking to work our way down South. Preferably as far as Peru, but we're open to going anywhere really. Hard working, motivated, clean and in early 20's. We are all single and very appreciative of whoever hires us, just looking to get out of the country and see South America.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
simperfi jarheads,if i were you i would find jobs in the good ole u s of a ,save some money then head south and party until your money runs out,tip! save a little for your return,stay together and lastly but most important,stay out of jail
Old 12-26-2011
Southbound

well O'rah and thank you kindly for the advice, but we're looking for some cultural enlightenment- not a party. Although I'm sure we'll be roped into a few beers here and there. What if we are a little fed up with the obamanation of the good ole US of A and want to hitch a ride outa here? Only to gain some wisdom and perspective in order to return to our home land with the power of new knowledge and rectify the situation.
Old 12-27-2011

i've spent quite a bit of time lately in diverse places and f***ed up as it is in the u.s. its even worse politically,financially and judicially in other places especially in the banana repuplics,expect to be extorted by the policia,imigration officials etc and if [even thru no fault of your own] you get arrested for anything/everything it most likely will be years before you even get a trial,again i urge you to just go on a recon.as a tourist
Old 12-27-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
You may find it hard to find a boat big enough to take on three crew. Much easier with one or two people. A lot of boats go to Mexico and a fair number to Panama. After that not so many. A few go as far as Ecuador and that is about it. Virtually no one goes further south than that since you are going against a very strong current and Peru has very few harbors. If people want to go further south (Chile has lots to recommend itself) they typically head offshore to Galapagos and Easter Island and then come back to coast at whatever latitude they want to be at. But the number of boats a year going this route is very small.
Old 12-27-2011
Southbound

So, is there no adventurous opportunities out there anymore for young lads to hop aboard a ship bound for the foreign and exotic, working hard and learning from those in command? Are we really faced with only one option: flying? Would it be easier if we left from Florida, Texas, or somewhere on the east coast? And is S America is so troublesome, where else would you suggest from California?

Thanks for the advice gents.
Old 12-28-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, is there no adventurous opportunities out there anymore for young lads to hop aboard a ship bound for the foreign and exotic, working hard and learning from those in command?
I'm guessing that anyone involved in international shipping has plenty of strong, healthy and hard working crew available from many different non US and non British commonwealth countries.

People get mad at the Mexicans coming in to the US but there are a lot of them who do top quality work at much lower pay than any American would go for.

So I'm guessing ships looking for crew aren't planning on getting anyone on their trips to the US. It's too bad that it seems that someone can't just get on a ship and work their way along. So maybe someone living in a poorer country would have a better chance. But again that's just a guess.

Another thing is that ships have gotten bigger and bigger and need less and less crew. Now there are the standardized shipping containers and not many people are needed for loading. Bigger ships don't use as much fuel per weight of cargo. The days of having heavy fuel oil available at 2 cents per gallon are gone (conveniently as everyone switched away from boilers which could burn coal.) So small ships would have to go very slow to not spend all their money on fuel. Even the big cargo ships have slowed down to like 15-20 knots instead of 20+.

I wish it would again become possible to hop on a ship and work your way somewhere. Paying $100 a day to travel on a cargo ship is outrageous.
Old 12-29-2011

blanc is on a distinguished road
i would definitely rely on what the drunk psycho-drama-queen sayingpotz says.

forget your dreams. live your life the way he does and then end up the way he did.

vive la legion !
Old 12-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanc View Post
i would definitely rely on what the drunk psycho-drama-queen sayingpotz says.

forget your dreams. live your life the way he does and then end up the way he did.

vive la legion !
its been my experince that the man[man used loosely] who runs his mouth the most does the least,like i said before send me a e-mail and we can arrange a meet!!!
Old 12-29-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Nice! Another thread hijacked by a personal pecker measuring contest.

To the original posters. Thanks for your service to our country and check out Offshore Passage Opportunities: Halesite, New York.

They seem to be more east coast centric, but perhaps you can find something and hopefully at least avoid the drivel of personal grudges that has taken over this forum.

Tags
3 crew , california , crew wanted , peru , san francisco