Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012

CoastieCruiser is on a distinguished road
Free Yacht Delivery: PR/USVI/BVI to Florida/SE US

Need to bring your yacht back to the US from the Caribbean at the beginning of the 2012 Hurricane season?

I'm being transferred for work from Puerto Rico to Florida, looking for viable options for me and my wife to move our Great Dane, Branson, off the island and back to the states (he's too tall for commercial airline transport). Current options are by boat or private plane charter.

I am requesting to deliver your yacht from Puerto Rico, USVI, VI, or anywhere else in the Leeward Islands to Florida or along the SE Atlantic Coast or US Gulf Coast. This service will be provided only once, one-way, and will be for no cost; I am seeking that only basic provisions be covered by the owner (food, water, fuel, incurred port/ mooring/ docking/ customs/etc fees while en route, and airfare from San Juan, Puerto Rico (for myself and 1 crew member) to origin, if not Puerto Rico). Sailing route will include a stop in San Juan, Puerto Rico to be inspected by Customs and the Coast Guard, pick up our spouses, and a Great Dane. Crew size not to exceed three couples.

Yacht Type:
Sail preferred, but motor yacht acceptable, any hull type. Minimum size: 32', 2 cabins. Max: 100' (based on my crew size and boat setup/rigging).

Delivery cruise dates must fall between 01 June - 31 July 2012 (25 June - 15 July preferred, pending forecasted weather).

A little about me:

I am a US Coast Guard Officer, graduate of the US Coast Guard Academy, with over four (4) years of sea time on both single and multi screw vessels up to 225' LOA, 2,000 tons, with sea service in the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Alaska (Inside Passage, Gulf of Alaska, Aleutian Chain, Bering Sea). I am currently serving in the Coast Guard as a helicopter pilot (H-65 Dauphin), with frequent low level navigation experience throughout the islands in the Caribbean from St. Martin/St. Maarten, Westward through the BVI's, USVI's, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Turks & Caicos, the Bahamas, to Florida.

Additionally, I'm a sailor, having started sailing before I could walk, beginning racing when I was 5 years old and continued throughout my life on one-designs (Optimist, Laser, Laser II, International 420, 470, FJ's, Flying Scots, various size J-Boats) and other racing boats up to 65', and I've single-handed sailboats up to 43' LOA. Bareboating experience in the BVI's through the Moorings.

Yacht must be in compliance with all US Federal Laws and Regulations. Because of my profession, I will ensure that the yacht will be inspected by the US Coast Guard both prior to departing Puerto Rico (or in St. Thomas, if originating from a non-US territory) and upon reentering US waters in Florida. The sail plan will be submitted to the yacht owner, as well as all en-route US Coast Guard Sector Command Centers. Additionally, position and status reports will be submitted to the same, the pre-agreed upon frequency of which will be based on communications capabilities of the yacht (i.e., daily if sat-phone or sat-data (e-mail) equipped, or at each port call if not).

If interested, please contact me via Private Message in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Coastie, you'll need a few more posts before you can use the private message function I think. Some use the song thread in "Off Topic" or some other frivolous thread. Good luck with your endeavor, thanks for your service, be careful up there. -JGS, former USCG Boatswain's Mate.
Old 01-16-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Can Branson cook? Or at least navigate?

Welcome to SN coastie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-16-2012

JGS,

Thank you for your service as well; once a Coastie, always a Coastie!

I'll try adding a few more posts to see if I can get PM authorization; any idea how many posts it requires?

v/r,
LHM
Old 01-16-2012

Smackdaddy,

Branson's not too talented in the galley, but he's a natural navigator. I think he's almost ready to try the sextant, nautical almanac, HO229, and sight reductions....
Old 01-17-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieCruiser View Post
JGS,

Thank you for your service as well; once a Coastie, always a Coastie!

I'll try adding a few more posts to see if I can get PM authorization; any idea how many posts it requires?

v/r,
LHM
It's either 5 or 10, you might be there.
Old 01-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Any techniques you care to share about Branson relieving himself while on the bounding main?

I imagine that is no small feat...
Old 01-17-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
If you can pull this off, I hope you'll take pictures and write a travelogue. I'm fascinated to hear how you make a voyage of such duration with a Great Dane.
Old 01-17-2012

WanderingStar, I'm slowly getting the post count up, but I keep getting distracted with reading all the great threads on SailNet!
WanderingStar likes this.
Old 01-17-2012

jameswilson29,

Branson responds well to training, and there are two methods I'm working on to getting him to relieve himself while on a boat:

1. for those times when swim call is appropriate, relieving himself while swimming is an option
2. for all other times, I plan on purchasing an item similar to this:
Pet Loo Indoor Yard Training System

Tags
delivery , florida , puerto rico , virgin islands , yacht

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.