SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crew Wanted - La Paz, Mex. to Seattle April 2012

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  surforcycle 
#1 · (Edited)
Experienced owner/skipper seeking crew to help sail boat back to Seattle.

Crew may join us for all or part of the voyage.

Departing La Paz, Mexico on/or about April 1st. Planning to be back in Seattle by beginning of June.

Cruise Plan (approximate - not a schedule just a guideline)

La Paz to Cabo San Lucas (April 1-10)
Cabo to San Diego (April 10 - 24)
San Diego to San Francisco (April 24 - May 15)
San Francisco to Seattle May 15 - June 1)

Need 1 crewman to complete crew of 3.

Desired Crew Qualifications:
Experienced offshore sailor
Excellent physical condition...No physical limitations
Not prone to seasickness
Willing to help with all boat chores and stand watch
No drugs
Social drinker only whne boat is safely anchored or moored
Non-smoker

Crewman responsible for transportation to and from port, personal expenses and any special food.
Skipper will pay all boat expenses (fuel, moorage, basic crew food).

If you're interested but can only sail a portion of the voyage, contact me. I'm willing to have crew members sail part of the voyage.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cruise La Paz to Seattle in spring ...follow the gray whale migration

This voyage is an excellent opportunity to follow the grey whale migration up the coast.

And we will be stopping frequently along the way for fuel and provisions, or just to rest up for a day or two.

Planned stops in Mexico at:
Bahia Los Muertos, Bahia Friles, Isla Partida, Cabo San Lucas, Bahia Magdelana, and Turtle Bay

Stops in California at: San Diego, Channel Islands, Moro Bay and San Francisco.

Stops in Oregon: Coos Bay possibly others.

Stops in Washington: Grays Harbor, Neah Bay, Port Townsend, Seattle.

#15 ·
Re: Cruise La Paz to Seattle in spring ...follow the gray whale migration

This voyage is an excellent opportunity to follow the grey whale migration up the coast.

And we will be stopping frequently along the way for fuel and provisions, or just to rest up for a day or two.

Planned stops in Mexico at:
Bahia Los Muertos, Bahia Friles, Isla Partida, Cabo San Lucas, Bahia Magdelana, and Turtle Bay

Stops in California at: San Diego, Channel Islands, Moro Bay and San Francisco.

Stops in Oregon: Coos Bay possibly others.

Stops in Washington: Grays Harbor, Neah Bay, Port Townsend, Seattle.
Maybe I can delivery your crew to you .......Crew needed: San Diego to La Paz, Mexico. March, 2012. Morgan 33' sloop; well equipped. Non-smoker. Sail as much as possible. Follow the good weather & enjoy the process. Est. 14 days or less. Contact: Dave surforcycle@gmail.com or 831-251-2511 either after 7p PST or anytime on Sat/Sun.

#6 ·
Crew Wanted - San Diego to Seattle May 2012

One crew position is still available for the leg from San Diego, Ca to Seattle, Wa. This leg of the voyage is expected to begin May 1-5, departing from San Diego's Shelter Island.

We will be making frequent stops as we sail north along the California coast. Stops will probably be made at Oceanside, Ventura, Morro Bay, Monterey Bay, San Diego, and possibly Crescent City.

In Oregon and Washington we will stop less frequently. Stops might be made at Coos Bay or Newport, Grays Harbor, Neah Bay and Shilshole Bay (Seattle).

The trip from San Diego to Seattle will take about 3-weeks.

If interested tell me about yourself and your sailing experience.

Thanks!

#10 ·
Hi Graig,

I might be available on the SF to Seattle run. I have more than 30 yrs experience racing and cruising in NE waters, offshore experience in the Caribbean and North Atlantic. I also hold OS seaman's papers and have served on commercial vessels including winter salvage work on a tug. Let me know if there's any interest.

Cheers,

Scott

#11 ·
Crewfor SF to Seattle leg

Scott;

I'm interested...I cannot give you an exact date of when we'll be in SF Bay but I imagine it will be around May 15-20.

Can you tell me more about yourself and you sailing experience? Do you live in the SF Bay area ?

I'll send you my email address

Regards

Craig

#12 ·
Hi Craig,

Couldn't get through with your email address, don't know what went wrong.

Shuah, I can provide specifics, I'm a New Englander and I've cut my teeth in sailing on Buzzards Bay. I've owned more than a dozen vessels ranging in length from 13' (Bettlecat) to 33' (Ranger). I helped deliver a B40 (Hinckley Bermuda 40) to Seal Hahbah, ME, from Fairhaven, Ma. a Ranger 3 from New Bedford to Samford CT and in 2008 a Lagoon 42 from St Martin to Kemhah TX. In my 20s I worked for a summer on Mobil Oil Corp tanker and I've helped to salvage yachts and commercial vessels as crew on a friend's 65' tug (Jaguar, Mitchell Towing & Salvage, NB MA). Last fall I sailed for a week on a 60' "pinky" schooner on he Chesapeake. I currently own a 19' lightning which I sail on lakes in Oregon. I currently live in Roseburg OR because it is a hell of a lot cheaper than living in MA. At present I'm in TX where I belong to a sailing club racing J 105s and J80s on Galveston Bay.

I recently published an ebook about my early sailing exploits, its available on Amazon for 99 cents. The title is Circadian Rhythm. Should you decide to buy it, it will fill you in on how I learned to sail.......the hard way.

Hope to hear further.

Cheers,

Scott

#13 ·
Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting back. I'm going to double up with this reply to ensure that you get it. To answer your questions:
- I'm 64, but will turn 65 in March, despite my age, I'm still in reasonably good shape, I can do 80 push ups and 50 sit ups.
- I was a research chemist until 2008, but I still do some consulting on occasion.
- My residence is Roseburg OR, but I hail from Fairhaven MA, the town that Josh Slocum started from on his circumnavigation. I lived up the street from his jumping off point.

I'm thinking that I can probably devote 10 to 15 days to the trip, that's why I was thinking of the SF to Seattle jaunt. Your game plan seems sound. I have the requisite personal equipment including a Type V vest/harness with multiple recharges. I wondered how old the boat is and if you've had a CG courtesy inspection of late. Also, I assume that you have a five man raft in the unlikely event that its needed. What type of watch rotation are you thinking about, the standard 4 on, 4 standby, 4 off or the Swedish system? I'm used to the former.

Look forward to hearing further

Cheers,

Scott

#14 ·
Still need crew for San Diego to SF; and SF to Seattle

Still looking for crew.

I need crew for the trip up the coast from San Diego to Seattle.

I'm thinking that if we break this up into two segments:

1 crewman needed for:
San Diego to San Francisco...approx dates: May 1 thru May 10

1 crewman needed for:
San Francisco to Seattle ...approx dates: May 15 to June 1.

Qualifications:

sailing experince

physically fit

not prone to seasickness

emotionally mature

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.