SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Senior sailors need able bodied crew for Chesapeake sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/84836-senior-sailors-need-able-bodied-crew-chesapeake-sailing.html)

twobysea 03-10-2012 04:17 PM

Senior sailors need able bodied crew for Chesapeake sailing

Senior couple need able bodied help (couples preferred) with maintenance and Chesapeake Bay sailing. Island Packet 35 sailing out of marina ~ 21 miles south of Annapolis. Two day to 10 day sails up and down the Bay, anchorage to anchorage. Little to no over night sailing unless schedule is tight. No party hounds. One or two beers, glasses of wine at anchorage/ashore OK.

Nione 03-13-2012 09:57 PM

Re: Senior sailors need able bodied crew for Chesapeake sailing

When do you want this? Do you mean for it to be on a long-term basis?

Able-bodied, eager to sail, enthusiastic learner; dislike drinking & partying and have a partner who would probably be willing to do this for me. . . . But I am currently mid-semester at university in Philadelphia.

captcore 03-14-2012 03:28 PM

Senior sailors need able bodied crew for Chesapeake sailing

. I do possess both a 50 ton Inland Master's license, with Sailing and Towing Endorsements, and an Ordinary Seaman (OS) MMD. I have a TWIC card as well. My parents have an island packet 35 as well, so I know the boat and the line.

My father first took me sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, out of Middle River, when I was 6 months old; I have been sailing ever since. When I was 8, I began racing on both small boats (dinghies), and Keel Boats. My keel boat racing experience includes a Cal 2-30, C&C 33, Express 35, J/22, J/24, J/29, J/30, J/35, J/42, Melges 24, Merit 25, Navy 44, and a Santa Cruz 70. My dinghy experience includes Lasers, 420s, 470s, JY15s, Thistles, and Optimists. I have done many distance races, including the Round Block Island Race and Vineyard race, both in 2008.

I have been cruising my entire life. My cruising experience includes a Pearson Ariel (similar to a Pearson Triton, only smaller), a Morgan 30, Jeanneau 35, Cal 2-27, Beneteau 35.7, and currently a Bayfield 32. I have sailed offshore many times, including a trip in November 2008 from Annapolis, Maryland to St. Maarten, in the Caribbean. In June 2010, I sailed from Tortola to Providence, RI, via Bermuda, aboard a Caliber 37. I also skippered a Pearson 36 Cutter from Annapolis to Bermuda in November 2011.

I began coaching sailing and racing when I was 13- in 2001. I have been teaching junior sailors every summer since then, teaching everything from 8 year old beginners (kids who have never set foot on a boat) to 16 year olds in advanced racing. I have taught at the Baltimore County Sailing Center for 7 summers (www.bcsailing.org), and in 2008 taught at the Tred Avon Yacht Club, in Oxford, Maryland (tayc.com). I have taught Ideal 18s, Rainbows, 420s, Lasers, Optis, and Hunter Xcites. Last summer I taught sailing aboard Lasers, Opti's, and Rainbows at YMCA Camp Letts in Edgewater, where I continued to teach school groups and private groups canoeing and team building activities through December. I am a Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor through US Sailing, and am also a Maryland Certified EMT-Basic, with plans to study for my paramedic license within the next few years, but for now I am currently working in Baltimore Harbor as a Water Taxi Captain.

I wonder if my qualifications meet your requirements. Should you require more information, I can be reached via email at captcore@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Capt Corey Mitchell

BGS 03-28-2012 04:18 PM

I had been thinking about posting something looking for opportunity like this. I have just bought my first boat but I am still a novice. I am looking to sail with other people to gain any bits of wisdom I can and hopefully avoid learning too many things the hard way. I recently moved to Baltimore so I do not really have too many people to sail with. In addition I would like to help with maintenance or any thing else that could be a potential learning opportunity.

The negatives: I am not a couple, I work full time M-F 8-5 (although I have saved up my vacation days specifically for sailing), I travel for work a bit so scheduling could be an issue. However, I usually know my trips months in advance.

I am 26/male, live in Baltimore, have a car. I'd be happy to provide references and/or my resume to characterize me a bit more. PM me if interested.

decatur1945 04-13-2012 03:33 PM

I'm an older sailor, have my own boat I keep in Deale. I still work a regular job but would be interested in maybe helping out on some weekends. Have quite a bit of experience, both in the bay and offshore. Non-smoker, non-drinker, very safety conscious. My wife is a non sailor so I'm always looking for some opportunities. You can contact me at broadreach@hushmail.com

johnnyquest37 04-13-2012 04:32 PM

I's suggest looking up the Baltimore-Annapolis Sailing Club. They have sites on Facebook and Meetup.com. Hundreds of members, mostly non-boat owners, looking to crew. I met many of the folks on my crew from this site. Like you, I am currently based out of Deale.

heather.james2010 04-16-2012 06:27 PM

Hi,

We read your post and are excited about the possibility of sailing with you. My husband and I have a 1976 Catalina 27 that we have been using to day sail in the Chesapeake out of the Solomons. Unfortunately we have been limited on our sailing trips due to the age and poor maintenace of the boat before we purchased it. We have been happy with our day sails, but are looking for more variety.

We are in our mid-thirties and are comfortable moving around a boat and helping out with the maintenance. We both have taken extensive sailing classes through ASA. We are not looking for a party atmosphere, though we don't mind a glass of wine with dinner. We are enthusiastic about sailing and enjoy meeting others who share our passion for sailing. We are available most weekends, and during the summer with advanced notice are available for longer excursions.

Please let us know if you have any upcoming trips in mind that we might join you on.

Kind Regards,
Heather and James