Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003

chrislee is on a distinguished road
desire to learn to sail in SE Ontario

Hi,

I am a 22 year old student living in Guelph right now and am interested in learning to sail. My plan is to try and help out on someone else''s boat who needs some help and would like to teach an enthusiastic student.

I am very interested in travelling once finished my schooling, and think sailing would be my ideal mode of transportation. I am under the impression sailing can be adventurous, fun, and inexpensive for someone looking to crew.

I think experience is the best way to learn but am going to read as much as I can until then. What I am looking for from this post is someone who can direct me with some information specific to my area.

Thanks for any feedback,
Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2003

scurvydog01 is on a distinguished road
desire to learn to sail in SE Ontario

Chris,

I live in Goderich, about an hour away from Guelph on Lake Huron. ATM I''m only sailing a 24 ft boat usually solo (can never find people interested in sailing to go with). Many of the boats along the shores of Lake Huron are in a simular situation. They can''t find crew and won''t sail alone. Grand Bend Yacht Club is big into racing, maybe try to contact them and see if you can crew. Racing is a different kind of sailing, but you can learn alot. I personally learned how to sail two years ago at London (lake fanshaw). The course was taught in CL14 dinghy''s and was an all adult class. When done the 2 1/2 week course I felt comfortable to get on my keel boat on a light wind day and sail. Now I have crewed 35 foot race boats and have logged more than 2500 nautical miles sailing. Email me if you have any questions, or would like to come out sailing in the spring.

Daryl
scurvydog01@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook