SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crew needed from Cape Town to Brazil

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BigJohn1776 
#1 ·
Looking for one person (or possibly a couple) to crew from Cape Town to Salvador, Brazil leaving Africa around December 20th or a bit later to arrive in Salvador in time for Carnival, which starts on Feb. 7th next year. The only stop along the way would be at St Helena. We would prefer congenial crew who have considerable sailing experience, even if they have little offshore experience. You will be responsible for your transportation to and from the boat; other than that no expenses.

Boat is a well-equipped, very solid Bristol 45.5 crewed by a Canadian couple who will be almost finished a circumnavigation at this point. Reply by pm or post here.

#3 ·
Hey there,

My boyfriend (34, German) and myself (25, American) are experienced sailors looking for passage out of South Afriac in December.

We have several years of experience sailing and living on boats, both as paid professional crew on "tall ships" (large, traditionally-rigged vessels) and as volunteer crew on smaller sailing yachts. We are accustomed to spending long periods of time at sea, since we recently crossed the Pacific, and will cross the Indian Ocean in September. Additionally, we have experience with maintenance on both wooden and fiberglass vessels. We are good cooks and tidy shipmates.

We are hard-working, safety-oriented crew who respect both boat and captain. We are always eager to learn from more experienced sailors. We are also fun, good-natured world travelers, eager to meet new people and enjoy a great trip in pleasant company. We don't smoke and do not get seasick. I will bring my ukulele, and my boyfriend will bring his incredible collection of good and not-so-good jokes.

Our ultimate destination is Europe. We're hoping either to find a boat straight there from SA, or to cross over to Brasil/Caribbean, and then cross back. What do you think our prospects will be for finding another boat/s heading to Europe if we crossed with you?

If you haven't found anyone yet, and you're interested, get in touch:

email: independebubble at hotmail dot com. You can also check out our blog: crossingtheline2011.blogspot.com. We are happy to provide references upon request.

#6 ·
Hi Bruce, Hi June - your blog is great! I think it is amazing that you're actually doing it! I am interested in meeting up with you in Cape Town if that is still part of your plans. I'm currently in NY. Please take a look at my bio/profile. If I'm what you're looking for please let me know. I can send you more info about me. I'm also into any other legs that you might need crew.
Safe Passage, Chris

#7 ·
Hi Killarney
Sounds a lovely trip and interesting . I hold a IMO international capt license have 50k miles under my keel and one atlantic crossing to west africa. I would like very much that you can consider me helpfull in your boat. I am a US citizen by birth.
sincerely jay
pppichula at hotmai.dot com

#8 ·
hey,
My name is mike and im 26 about to leave for south east asia. I am not sure if i am ready to go to africa but I was wondering if you would be following the coast around to cape town or going across the indian. If you're following the coast I'd love to join for a while. I have very novice experience on the open sea but have spent at least two days sea. I live in hawaii currently, if you'd like to check me out my facebook is under magnummike_ak@hotmail.com. You both look like nice people with your minds in the right place let me know if i can join you for a portion of your journey.

#9 ·
Ahoy Killarny,

That indeed sounds like an interesting passage - particularly the part about St. Helena I've been sailing all my life, mostly on ~18'-20' sloop and later as PHRF race crew. We live in Virginia & typically sail my Endeavour 32 on lower Chesapeake Bay, so I'm also a diver plus particularly handy at fixing boats, cars, bikes also misc. electrical items. I have also been employed in engineering (since forever) & might benefit from such a break. Besides my Ches. Bay sailing I have also crewed 43' ketch rig for caribbean passage, loved it & also enjoy catching pelagic tuna from cobalt blue waters, (I'll bring the Wasabe sauce). My wife (originally from Ontario) & I are anglophones but we also speak French fluently plus I can also manage in Spanish.
BTW: My wife is an accomplished filmmaker, she always gets excited about sailing an oceanic passage, so perhaps this will help her to find a new distraction for the "winter" months. I've already mentioned this potential adventure her to help her absorb some of that salty crust.

Cheers,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.