SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cost share

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Capt Len 
#1 ·
Hello

I know that this is going to vary from situation to situation but I was wondering if any of you would be able to give me an indication as to the cost involved when people are looking for a crew member on a shared cost basis?

I really appreciate your help :)

#2 ·
I'm not sure there is an answer to that because it depends on too many variables. It's something you would discuss with the delivery captain (or whoever is asking for crew) before you commit.

Personally, if it is a paid delivery situation I have no problem paying for my transportation to or from the boat, but while on the boat I expect the captain to provide food. I was asked to crew on a boat participating in a rally to Portugal. In that situation I expect to help pay for my share of the food, but again, it's something that I will discuss with the captain. Every situation is different.

Know before you go.

#3 ·
Thanks for that. I was thinking it would vary greatly.

The sittuation I am looking at is more people wanting crew for their own boat. I see lots of people advertsing that they need crew on a "cost share basis" and wodered if the cost was prohibitive.

Thanks for your help.

#4 ·
In Thailand ,crew share cost can run 100 a day for a run to Langkawi .Helps the cruising kitty big time. Each location /vessel is different and negotiable .Certainly competition ,crew experience and vessels' needs are big points. Personally, I have a high opinion of my skills and would cover my transport to the vessel but eat your food at sea. But then I've got my own boat.

#5 ·
Isn't there a fine line before a person who is just a boat owner and not a licensed captain falls into shady legal grounds because he or she is essentially taking payment for passage? Illegal in the U.S. if you are not licensed. Anyone can ask for crew. It doesn't necessarily mean he or she is a licensed captain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.