Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
The ex yacht club commodore I'd known for years got deathly sick, and his experienced friend was not much help when we got hit by a little gale, they hadn't ever been caught in a nasty way at sea before.
"I love to sit around the yacht club bar..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I've been walk on crew and I've taken on walk on crew from internet postings though they were venues targeted closer to where I was sailing at the time.

As far as I know, my wife and I were considered "good crew" or at least they kept asking us back for a couple of years.

As an owner I took 3 unknown quantities on a 70 mile race last year to fill out a crew of 7. Two came with experience, one was a total newbie. The two experienced guys were outstanding and the newbie got scared after the sun went down, got seasick and was total dead weight. I don't fault him though, it was my bad judgement to choose him (friend of one of the other crew) over other experienced folks that responded.

I probably ruined that guy for sailing where he might have been a convert if I'd taken him for a day sail. In my defense, the last time the same guy asked me if his friend could come for sail he brought a stunning 6'2" girl from Finland that could be a model, and she turned out to be great crew on a four day jaunt around the Chesapeake.
Old 06-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Donna,
I'd not likely take an inexperienced/unknown crew offshore without at least a couple of inshore sails or coastal passages of no more than a days duration. Seems to me to be way too many possibilities for conflict.

Anyone who has not done at least a couple off coastal passages needs to do so before going offshore if only to know how their body will react. In my case e.g. I am not prone to sea sickness except that if I head out on an empty stomach then I'm in trouble. Ergo, I know to eat a good breakfast before a passage. These are things you learn as you go on.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-19-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

just looking to see what makes good crew ? The ability to have free time off from work I think is key. How many crew members can just sail around for days? What type of stranger would you pick? Most of you said you need to meet on land then build up by a day sail. does it help alot to have asa class and what level is enough? Thanks LOU new guy.... but now new with asa101
Old 06-19-2012
Mirage32

wayne56 is on a distinguished road

I have found two offshore crew spots here, one 1000nm from USVI to Bermuda, and the other a 3000nm Atlantic crossing. I did whatever homework I could on both before signing on. In one case I flew 800miles to meet the skipper and inspect the boat, and he had a chance to check me out as well. You are are putting your safety and sanity on the line with respect to both boat and skipper, so it is about doing your best minimizing risk and maximizing your comfort level.

In the end, I would not have traded either experience, but there are lots of horror stories too. Oh, and one crew member on the longer trip was sick for 17 days...so the surprises can go both ways.
davidpm and WanderingStar like this.
Old 06-20-2012
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road

What I want to know is if Cindy ever found herself a man...??
sawingknots likes this.
Old 06-20-2012
Intemperate Slacker

Capetinho is on a distinguished road

I had done a bit of day sailing, completed three classes with U.S. Sailing and a charter in the Grenadines before responding to my first crew wanted post. I wanted to insure that I was at least a minimal asset rather than a liability. An email followed up with a phone call landed me the ride, which I've since used as a springboard for several other offshore deliveries.

One USCG licensed master I've sailed with said his success rate with website-recruited crew members has been about one in ten -- I assume I'm in the minority since I've now made two 1,500 NM deliveries with him. I don't exaggerate my experience, make it clear up front that I'm there to learn and subscribe to the theory of "Your boat, your rules."

Posting "crew available" notices, however, doesn't seem to work very well unless one can start the post off with the something like, "Large-breasted female with low moral standards seeks..."
Old 06-20-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

This is a good discussion, thanks. A few times a week someone with little to no experience pops into the chat looking for crew positions so we direct him/her to post in the forum but I always think "Right. Good luck with that."

I have been offered crew positions based on my being active in Sailnet and meeting the captain (for unrelated reasons) before the positions were offered. I also may crew on the ARC Europe Rally next year but that's with someone I know from the Coast Guard. But, in both cases, I am a known entity. I was curious how much of a chance Joe/Josephina Doe off the street so to speak has in finding a berth on a boat.

The other semi-trend i see are people wanting to crew one way from the US to Europe as a means of inexpensive passage. Creative I suppose.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-20-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Like others here, I've had crew and been crew, with mixed results. I wouldn't take anyone offshore without experience, or without extensive interviews. I'm not so worried about seasickness as judgement. The duty as lookout is most important at sea, I want them to be able to tell whether a tanker will cross ahead, astern, or amidships. I would take almost anyone on a daysail, or alongshore trip with a chance to get off.
When I brought WS home from Florida, two of the crew were new to me. I interviewed both, and they spent a week helping prepare the boat. They were great, and I would sail with them anywhere.
chef2sail, bobnpaula and drobarge like this.
Old 06-20-2012

robmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
Personally, I would rather have an inexperienced crew that I get along with rather than a crew member who has experience and I don't like. You can always teach someone how to sail but you can't teach someone to get along with everyone else.
you forgot to include

no spilling of beer