Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

I have responded to a few crewing opportunities that have been posted and have been offered a place on every one though I could not do all of them (still lamenting not being able to do last year’s fastnet due to a work commitment). My experiences have not been all that great with all the crew jumping ship on my first ride due to the personality and incompetence of the skipper. On that one I did complete the time element I committed to but we didn’t make the distance I had planned on.

On the other one the skipper was competent but wanted the crew to subsidise his cruising and dining. On one of his later legs 2 of his crew asked and were off loaded to a passing container ship. Don’t know any further details but something had to have been going on.

I have listed once on a site as crew available for racing and quickly got a call and have been racing on that boat for 2 years. This has also led to crewing on another boat when the other is not racing.
earlyviking likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2012

peterconway is on a distinguished road

I've crewed twice from this site...with mixed results.
The first trip was from charleston sc to conn. the captain/owner had his act together until the wind quit blowing. As his schedule went to sh*t, so did he. We began doing the icw day and night. Traveling the icw at night is not safe. Doing it in a 6' draft boat is stupid. Needless to say we went aground at approx 2am. His plan was to throw the anchor and manually pull ourselves off. Anchor was 37# with 50 ft. chain. Second stupid.... After about an hour at full throttle we worked off the mud. The captain had made a mess on the deck from throwing the anchor and pulling up mud. He told me to clean the deck while he went back to bed....third and final stupid.
The next trip went well. The boat owner/captain had just purchased the boat and wanted to move it from st. Augustine, to Naples fla. we had a few snafus, but it was a good trip.
Lesson learned....plan "A" quickly and surly turns to plan "B". Everything that wasn't checked breaks, and half of the things that you believe to be good, are not. Flexibility is a must. Don't count on the boat to be properly equipped. And the most important is that being a boat owner is sometimes their only skill.
Still....I love it.

Last edited by peterconway; 06-21-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Donna,

Is "offshore" the overriding criteria here, or is any kind of sailing ok?

I've taken several Sailnet newbs sailing to help decide if sailing is something they want to pursue. Some of them pick it up quickly, some don't. I'm trying to contribute, and to "grow the sport".

I currently have a Sailnetter as part of my regular racing crew. He is newish, but not totally green to sailing, and he's doing an awesome job. I won't "out" him though. I'll leave it to him to speak up if he wants to.

Bottom line:
I've been sailing with plenty of people from Sailnet. Most of those sails, be they day sails, beer can racing, or distance racing have been successful. I have no horror stories to tell you.

Hope that helps.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-21-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Donna,

Is "offshore" the overriding criteria here, or is any kind of sailing ok?
Offshore or coastal. I'm not so curious about the people who want to hitch a ride on a day sail or participate in races on OPBs, I get that and I suggest it frequently. I'm more curious about the people who want to go distances. Sometimes it seems like they want the adventure more than to learn how to sail. Or they just want free passage. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but if I was a skipper I'd be wary of someone focusing more on the emotions/adventure than the task at hand. If that makes any sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-21-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Long time past (even before internet) the method of finding a berth was to go where the boats are. For me ,and dozens of others every day ,that meant walking the docks and talking /asking meeting with skippers. Offers to help with maintenance allowed you to strut your stuff. This was important as others were offering to pay and I'd been broke since Istanbul All over the Med ,across and Caribe to Halifax ,I came back to BC to get my own boat.Now I'm on the lookout for that kind of crew, but they keep tripping on their jeans and the nose rings catch on the ratlines.I hope I' not reduced to searching some kind of sailing forum. I mean, what kind of real sailor type would spend their time sitting at a computer searching for reality ?.
DRFerron, Capnblu and blowinstink like this.

Last edited by Capt Len; 06-21-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2012

peterconway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Long time past (even before internet) the method of finding a berth was to go where the boats are. For me ,and dozens of others every day ,that meant walking the docks and talking /asking meeting with skippers. Offers to help with maintenance allowed you to strut your stuff. This was important as others were offering to pay and I'd been broke since Istanbul All over the Med ,across and Caribe to Halifax ,I came back to BC to get my own boat.Now I'm on the lookout for that kind of crew, but they keep tripping on their jeans and the nose rings catch on the ratlines.I hope I' not reduced to searching some kind of sailing forum. I mean, what kind of real sailor type would spend their time sitting at a computer searching for reality ?.
"Walking the docks", is not possible at many marinas...at least, not here in the U.S.
We no longer use the telegraph, or smoke signals. I too like "the good old days", but realize time has changed, as has the way we communicate. As for "real sailors", they too have gone the way of the telegraph. We all are but amateurs.
Old 06-21-2012
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
It usually takes 3 or 4 days at sea before murder becomes a rational and tempting option. Solution to compatible crew is shorter trips while still mellow.
Having plastic winch handles is an impediment to effectively dispatching either the skipper or a crew member. But maybe that's a good thing.

I've sailed with inexperienced crew before that I contacted through this board, but in general I'm underwhelmed by the dearth of responses or lack of follow-through.

I agree that getting along with someone also is best judged after you've been out there for a few days, when you've been hot and in the sun for quite awhile, i.e., when its already too late to call it quits. My wife, on the other hand, can tell within seconds what it takes me days to find out about people being compatible or not.
Old 06-21-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I am going to try to get more experience few years and a few more classes before I offer out as crew. I like this web site It may help both parties. On-line and real life are oceans apart lol
Old 06-21-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road

During my delivery days, there was no Internet. I had to go through a crew service. Back then there were many in south Florida. I imagine a few are still around, but I digress.

The crew service was only interested in their fee. They sent me guys who have never been on a sailboat and others with minimal experience. I had one guy jump ship after we went down the Intracoastal from the Chesapeake to Beaufort. The next hop was on the ocean to Florida and he wanted no part of it. Another crew was scared to death when we left Key Largo and hit 6 to 9 foot seas. The trip ended with him throwing up blood. I had to have the coast guard meet us to look at him. I thought he would die.

The point is - I'm sure a lot of inexperienced people get rides. Boat owners don't want to pay for crew or at the very least pay travel and food expenses, so they get what they pay for. With a little luck, the weather stays good, the inexperienced crew doesn't freak out, and you make it to port okay.

That reminds me of the 48 year old "sailor" who said he could not stand watch because he was too scared. I was at the helm for over 20 hours while he was in the fetal position crying in the cabin just because we were in a storm with 30 knot winds, but I digress again.
Old 06-21-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
When you tell people "We ain't gonna die but it's gonna be real uncomfortable for a day or so" some will believe you, some will believe you in a few hours and some never will.
Oh, that is so beautiful. Is that copyrighted or can I put that on some paper, frame it and hang it on my wall?