Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

Feel free to use at will, I thought it to be just personal experience but I see now it's a common shared one.
Quote:
That reminds me of the 48 year old "sailor" who said he could not stand watch because he was too scared. I was at the helm for over 20 hours while he was in the fetal position crying in the cabin just because we were in a storm with 30 knot winds, but I digress again
Exactly, I was so tired I was hallucinating, steering by the wind gauge, only I was seeing it as a piece of pie, I'd wake at the realization that the piece of pie was getting too small or too big.
I'd had 3 experienced crew try to make that trip but none could free up the time, and that's the rub. People that you know have the skills and abilities for all conditions don't have the time or inclination to do a 500 mile delivery run. And 99% of the time you don't need the skills of a circumnavigator, just the ability to stand an uneventful watch. And obey the primary directive: Don't hit nothing and don't let anything hit us.
TNGal likes this.
Old 06-23-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road

I volunteer to crew frequently. I sailed with one skipper here on sailnet on several races including an overnight race last year. He is a very knowledgable sailor, a great guy, and has a terrific family.

I have gotten my blue water experience through a website called Offshore Passage Opportunity. I think I pay $200 a year for membership. I offer to crew for free because I love to do it and I want more sailing experience. The site periodically (at least once a week) sends out notices of owners and delivery skippers looking for crew. The notice provides the estimated dates and times for departure and arrival, as well as the the type of experience required of the crew. It gives information about the boat and its equipment. If the skipper is known to the website you will receive information about the skipper.

Typically, the crew pays to get to and from the boat, but all "on-boat" expenses are paid for by the skipper, i.e. food, mooring fees, customs, etc. Though I have had several professional captains offer to pay for the transportation to and from the boat.

I have made almost a dozen passages and have only come across one captain with questionable sailing skills (though the boat had all the safety equiptment and electronics available) and one who was completely reckless. Luckily the reckless one passed me on to a sailing friend of his who was a terrific sailor as he had extra crew. Coincidentally or not, the reckless skipper also asked crew to contribute to docking fees and food.

When I apply for a crew position, I send my resume and references so the skipper knows what he is getting. And once you crew for someone, they get to know you and you know them. If the skipper likes you, he or she will contact you when making another delivery before sending out a general post, so both parties knows what they are getting into. But when sailing with somebody for the first time and is somewhat of a crapshoot for both parties. You try to find out as much as you can about the crew/skipper and the boat then step off the ledge. But life is full of risks; you just have to try to manage it as best you can.
catamount and Capt Len like this.

Last edited by Slayer; 06-23-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

djesxm is on a distinguished road

I am a crew and i caught jobs on forum already, i never been sea sick!!
People will trut a crew because what?? with a resume okay but the most important are the Certificates and The References of course...
And if you dont want to Pay a crew dont expect him to be the best!!
when you pay a crew with good references and certificates...well most of the time it goes well!! and forum is free not a crew placement!!
Thats all from me!!
And if you need a crew!! let me know Djesxm@gmail.com!!
Old 07-02-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

I have no certificates, or references. But I'm pretty sure I would be good crew on a passage. I have experience though, mainly because I sailed my own boat on long blue water passages and in some really nasty weather. You can still find work at the dock, I was offered a job to crew a boat from Panama to China, but I didn't have the time and the pay was a little low, the skipper was nice but... intense.... He had sailed a hijacked ship out of somalia after it was captured by pirates and was an Ex eastern european soldier.

I think a lot comes down to timing. I know I'm looking for crew, but I'm asking people I know first before I scour the web. A month or two on a small boat with someone is intense, anyone can handle a few days.

Quote:
i never been sea sick!!
Then you have not been in rough enough weather then. I don't throw up, but I get queasy/easily agitated for a few hrs when I head straight out into 25 knots and steep seas. What would scare me is crew that is too confident in their abilities, or not scared a bit about going offshore. I stay well away from people with big egos, Captain or crew.
bobnpaula and RNDROB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2012

dpierson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to dpierson Send a message via MSN to dpierson Send a message via Yahoo to dpierson

Well, speaking of inexperienced crew - I'm a Boston area graduate student with a giant itch to get out onto the water! I'm an MIT Sailing member and have taken a handful of classes. Trying to get to the point where I can be confident on my own and I would LOVE the opportunity to volunteer on a larger boat. Any type of coastal trip would be of huge interest to me, as I have time throughout these next few years (and as immediately as this summer) to experiment with.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of where to start in terms of volunteering as a crew on a larger, coastal boat, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Drew
pierson.drew@gmail.com
Old 07-08-2012

gamayun is on a distinguished road

I was an inexperienced sailor when I crewed on 3 boats out of Annapolis (2 were from postings I found on sailnet). Now I race in San Fran Bay with someone who only knew of me from the local yacht club. Everyone has to do their homework and to feel free to back out if competence and camaraderie are (or seem) lacking. As a woman, it can get a little funny ascertaining motives of the male skippers, so I stay away from posts that are strictly looking for female crew, and I conduct my own due diligence, but it's been my limited experience that most of sailors just want to sail with interesting crew and have a good time on the water.
Old 07-19-2012

whedlesky is on a distinguished road

From the crew end, yes, these message boards work.

My boyfriend and I sailed to French Polynesia from California with a captain we met on a forum like this, and in September, we meet our new captain (whom we also met online) in Bali and sail to South Africa.

When using forums to find crew/boats, I try to be honest about my experience and my desires in a captain, and stay professional in tone. We already had some sailing experience prior to hitching rides around the world with captains we met on the internet, which certainly helped our postings portray us as less like flaky dreamers, and more like folks who know what they are doing (though are still willing to learn), and aren't going to puke for a week straight or drive their captian to turn them into fish bait. Since our experience was as paid crew on tall ships, we also had professional references, which probably helped.

It is, however, extremely important to get to know each other as well as possible--email a lot, talk on the phone, get references. Not doing so can lead to very unpleasant situations. This danger is far less if you're just looking for crew/a boat for short trips. In that case, I don't see why a captain wouldn't occasionally be willing to take on inexperienced crew. If you're only sailing around the bay, what's the harm?

My boyfriend and I actually wrote a rather detailed article on our experiences and our strategies for finding boats to crew on. It will be coming out in the February 2013 edition of SAIL Magazine.

In conclusion: captians aren't exactly knocking down our door to have us on their boats, but, yes, crew finder forums work, if you're persistent and do it the right way.

Wynne

www.crossingtheline2011.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2012

Loki9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierson View Post
Well, speaking of inexperienced crew - I'm a Boston area graduate student with a giant itch to get out onto the water! I'm an MIT Sailing member and have taken a handful of classes. Trying to get to the point where I can be confident on my own and I would LOVE the opportunity to volunteer on a larger boat. Any type of coastal trip would be of huge interest to me, as I have time throughout these next few years (and as immediately as this summer) to experiment with.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of where to start in terms of volunteering as a crew on a larger, coastal boat, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Drew
pierson.drew@gmail.com
Contact local yacht clubs that host weekly races, just showing up on race night can work. This is a relatively easy and fun way to build experience and also to meet boat owners. I picked up three newbie crew members this season, two from this forum and one who just showed up on race night. All three worked out well and will be invited back for the next series. As a skipper trying to put a crew together for a race series, reliability (showing up for races and practices) was higher on my list than experience.

I don't think I'd take someone new on a long passage, but the crew that I've raced with the past 10 weeks? Sure!
Old 07-19-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm really glad to hear there are success stories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-25-2012

reraesh is on a distinguished road

you forgot the most memorable comrade in arms of my battalion (vaumitting-lions-on-sea):
mate/cptn/comodore Hornblower-
just luvin it, experienced the green-wallpaper-thing myself every törn...