SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking to sail in Ft. Lauderdale

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Murph 
#1 ·
Anyone in SoFla looking for inexperienced crew? I have some keel boat experience and recently completed a 2-day small boat course. I see so many boats living in their slips and it kills me.....I gotta sail! I'd scrape a bottom with my fingernails just to get out on the water & learn. I'll spring for lunch & beer & if need be would be willing to do menial, unskilled boat work in exchange for the experience & tutelage. Please email me if you're interested. Thanks & fair winds!

#2 · (Edited)
Join a local sailing club!

1) Gulfstream Sailing Club
2) Sailors Point: Sailing instruction offered at Hollywood, FL's Sailor's Point Park
3) Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/94448986161/
(full disclosure, I'm an officer in this 50+ year old volunteer run club)

As you're new, you may be better off starting in dinghys/small boats and mastering those boats and then work your way up to a big boat crew spot. Volunteer driven sailing clubs are affordable ($100 a year)...Gulfstream has 420s, Sunfish, and even Optimist prams for the kiddos that can be rented for $5 a day (try and beat that deal), but I'd heartily recommend entering a race series in Sunfish or 420s to hone your skills.

I'm a big boat Captain, and my racing/cruising crew comes pretty much exclusively from "the Lake" as we call it. I pick up the choice stand-outs among those that remain committed enough to take classes, practice, and race well in the small boats...at least then I know they've mastered the fundamentals and wont be a liability aboard my boat.

PM me if you want more info!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply night0wl. As for GSC, I'm already a member! I joined in Oct. and completed the 2-day course on the Sunfish. I haven't competed in any lake races but I get down to Sailors point as often as possible(I've probably seen/met you). I've done some not-so-recent cruising on LI Sound(C&C 41) and got aboard a Tripp for a few races here last year. I've compiled a library of books and buried my coffee table in mags so my sailing IQ is good but my experience is lacking. I'll get down to the lake for a race and will be looking for ya.

Murph

#4 ·
Nice! I think emails to you have been bouncing back...Membership entered your address wrong in the system. Do you race the 420 series on Wednesday night? Would *STRONGLY* suggest the racing scene at the lake...if you can make it to A-fleet on the Sunfish, you'll be among strong company that I'd invite aboard any day.

PM me and I'll try and get you aboard in one of the Summer beer cans.

#5 ·
Yeah, Betty Lou called me last week and we got that sorted out. I haven't even rigged a 420 yet but I know for a fact I'd want to double hand one first....those things are tanks compared to the 'fish and I DO NOT want to crunch any(more) plastic. I shaved the scupper right off the bottom of a sunfish when a gust and a shift hit me on my approach to the ramp a few weeks ago. It wasn't funny at the time but now when I think back at me riding up the carpet and coming to a screeching halt....then sitting there teetering on the hard while my eyes bulged out along with the sail.....it was embarrassing but the gallery was small and forgiving so I get a good laugh now. Dennis was nice enough to screw on a new one and Sam took the splinters home to salvage. I'll PM you as soon as I figure out how.

#6 ·
Owl, it looks like I'm too new to PM. I don't wanna start spamming everyone to hit the post quota....although it's tempting. You can email me from my profile or grab my contact info from GSC. I'm taking your advice and will start racing at the lake.....Lord help me.....I can compete or I can cultivate my zen....not both:laugher Looking forward to seeing/hearing from you.

Murph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.