Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillife View Post
In my defense I'd been steering most of the day in 15 knot winds and knew I needed some time off before going back on watch. Now that you say that and knowing David decided to stay up maybe I should of been more worried
I would like to confirm that Brian's day shift was very very long and that even though it was only 15K there was more than the usual wheel work for some reason so Brian got a significant workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I've been on a boat with David before. I was impressed with his willingness to go down below for a lie down when the wind, weather and waves were at their worst. His nonchalance was actually reassuring. He inspired me to go below and not lie down when we were motoring into nearly 50 knot gusts on the LI Sound. I found that I did not get seasick sitting in the cabin of a pitching, yawing boat.
The way I figure it is like this:
You start on a multi-day trip with a bunch of guys everyone is excited and
lets face it since we are guys their is at least the potential for a little competitiveness.

It's like when you were little no-one wants to go to bed and miss any of the fun.

So what I do is if everything is stable with no weather or navigation or boat handling issues I will either lay down in the cockpit or go below and lay-down.
I must sleep but am not aware of sleeping as it seems as though I'm aware of the boat at all times. Any slight change in wind or engine and I listen to the conversation around me for a moment and drift back off unless it seems like I should get up.

If I'm on deck I'm ready to help in an instant even if lying down.
If I am below I just have to pee, through on my Mustang and I'm ready to go.

My theory is that if the boat and crew are stable the safest thing for me to do is lie down and rest as things can always get worse.

That way if nothing unusual happens I'm fresher than I would be at work the next day.
If something does happen unusual then I'm the freshest on the boat.

Everyone has a energy wall. If you hit the wall when the boat needs you it is very dangerous. My goal on a trip is to conserve energy at every possible moment so I don't even sit in the cockpit if I can lay down. That way if the boat needs me my energy wall is a far away as possible.

Don't forget it can always get worse.
If the waves are 10' and the wind 35k it can get worse. The waves can go to 30' and the wind to 50k.
Do you have the physical reserve to keep the boat safe?

In this particular delivery I was even more conservation minded than usual because John and his best friend Ean demonstrated immediately that they were very capable, so the role I figured I should play was purely supportive. Take shifts so they could sleep, fix lunches and do as I was told. And all importantly be ready in case someone got hurt or sick or hit the wall.
They did a great job.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-08-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

David,

Thanks for spelling that out for me. I do know what you mean when you mention the 'energy wall'. Everyone will hit the 'wall' eventually.

I crewed on a 36' ketch from Cape May to NYC a few months ago and we were given 2 hour lie down times every 4 hours with 3 of us aboard. I had difficulty sleeping when my turn to lie down came up but rested anyway and was grateful for that down time. After 24 hours of trying to leave the buildings of Atlantic City behind and approaching NY Harbor in the wee morning hours of 4 or 5 AM off Sandy Hook I was exhausted but not useless. I wish I had slept more and my eyes played some tricks on me trying to discern the difference between some real lightning and just an ocular hallucination of a flash. I could still tell when there was real lightning but it is disconcerting to have to second guess your own senses.

Getting plenty of rest is sound advice. I need to work on that but I might have missed the small pod of dolphins we saw off AC on our way north if I had been zzzzzzzz.
davidpm likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2012

Location: See my blog SailingAquinnah.blogspot.com. Maine to the warm Islands down South
JohnZion is on a distinguished road

A BIG THANK YOU TO THE CREW - Ian, Brian and David!!!

We had a great trip, and made it from Annapolis, MD to just off Martha’s Vineyard, MA in just 3 days! To Cape Cod it took 3 1/2 days. Set sail Thursday evening with following winds, and went up the Chesapeake with a full moon. It was beautiful.

Hit the C & D canal in the morning, the Delaware Bay in the afternoon [very rough as David already said] and went offshore Friday night.

Went outside of Long Island, direct to Cape Cod. Very good passage, mild weather, sailed for 2 days on the same tack. Caught no fish, but had good pancakes, cooked by Ian.

Arrived off Martha’s Vineyard around 10 PM Sunday night. Gusting to 35 knots, rough confused seas, tossing the boat all over the place. We were doing 7.5 knots [passed hull speed] with a large-beach-towel-sized bit of jib. Boat and crew handled it all well. We took turns at the helm all night long, tacking 40 miles offshore [we did not want to come into the shifting shallows, sandbars and narrow channels of the area in such dark, rough weather].

Next morning was calmer and we arrived in Cotuit, were we anchored in a protected cove off a nice beach. Where I remained for 5 days.

Thanks again to the great crew. Nice job guys! I think our skills and temperaments meshed pretty well.

PS - Last two weeks have been spent sailing out to Martha’s Vineyard several times [Edgartown and Vineyard Haven], out to Cuttyhunk with 4 friends for my birthday, and up into Buzzards Bay. Have been anchoring and staying at a free mooring a friend found me in Woods Hole.

This week plan to head for Maine, with a crew [for 5 days] of my mother and father. Will then spend September cruising the beautiful islands of Maine, were I lived for several years.

Soooooo, looking for crew here and there for Maine for September, and then for the sail back to Cape Cod end of September. I will post a 'crew wanted'.

John
Old 08-27-2012

Glad you are back John, You had me worried dropping off the grid like that. I figured you were having so much fun you didn't have time for the computer.
Any time you feel the need to keep that port side cockpit bench warm just send me a note.
How is the boat holding up?
Ever figure out those charging and gauge issues?
Old 09-06-2012

Location: See my blog SailingAquinnah.blogspot.com. Maine to the warm Islands down South
JohnZion is on a distinguished road

Hi David

Duo-charger still acting up when batts arnt charged. But been sailing a lot. Still busy working working on the boat. Trying to scape the old name off today. It is STUCK! Have a hair drier {in the dingy!} but tied off to stern so it cannot go in the water. And Goo-Off. But still sticking . . . .

See my updates in CREW WANTED MAINE

Hope you are well.

Capt Jack
Old 09-21-2012

Don Novello is on a distinguished road

are you still looking?

Tags
crew wanted cape cod

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.