SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/89972-crew-wanted-5-days-md-cape-cod-aug-2nd.html)

JohnZion 07-21-2012 09:42 AM

Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd

Looking for 1 crew member [maybe 2] [making a total of 3-4 people] for a sail from Annapolis MD to Falmouth Mass on Cape Cod, leaving August 2nd.

Trip will take aprox 5++ days [hopefully]. Boat is a very good condition Pearson 365 ketch [separate shower!]. Will be sailing as much as possible, but motoring when needed. Crew is responsible for their own food expenses, transportation at both ends [though a ride to public transportation or airport is possible on reaching Cape Cod]. Crew is not responsible for fuel or other expenses. May be traveling most of day and night [if it's safe to]. Will not be stopping to sightsee on this trip [but later trips will include RR time, if crew want to come back [Cape Cod and Maine, later in the year whole East Coast].

Two experienced crew onboard [one with several Atlantic crossing under his belt] Both crew are men, former wooden boatbuilders, responsible, relaxed, like to laugh and have a good time. Open to male or female crew, or a couple. Experience not necessary, but would be nice. Please CALL me if you are interested [I will have very limited or no time to get online between now and then].

Please call John at 802 999 thirteen ninety-eight. Leave a message if I dont pick up.

Happy sailing!

BubbleheadMd 07-21-2012 12:27 PM

Re: Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZion (Post 899408)
Looking for 1 crew member [maybe 2] [making a total of 3-4 people] for a sail from Annapolis MD to Falmouth Mass on Cape Cod, leaving August 2nd.

Trip will take aprox 5++ days [hopefully]. Boat is a very good condition Pearson 365 ketch [separate shower!]. Will be sailing as much as possible, but motoring when needed. Crew is responsible for their own food expenses, transportation at both ends [though a ride to public transportation or airport is possible on reaching Cape Cod]. Crew is not responsible for fuel or other expenses. May be traveling most of day and night [if it's safe to]. Will not be stopping to sightsee on this trip [but later trips will include RR time, if crew want to come back [Cape Cod and Maine, later in the year whole East Coast].

Two experienced crew onboard [one with several Atlantic crossing under his belt] Both crew are men, former wooden boatbuilders, responsible, relaxed, like to laugh and have a good time. Open to male or female crew, or a couple. Experience not necessary, but would be nice. Please CALL me if you are interested [I will have very limited or no time to get online between now and then].

Please call John at 802 999 thirteen ninety-eight. Leave a message if I dont pick up.

Happy sailing!

Tempting... I'm already committed to navigate for the Governor's Cup, August 3rd. Schedule would be cutting it too close. Bummer.

jsaronson 07-22-2012 08:15 PM

If you wait until the 4th, I'm in!

Joel 202 213 seven five five one

Chris Marshall 07-29-2012 10:57 AM

Hi John. I created a profile. Please keep me in mind. Safe passage. Chris

davidpm 08-07-2012 12:55 AM

I just got back from this trip.
It was great. We left last Thur. at about 8PM and got to Osterville, MA this afternoon about 12PM.
We had a great crew.
John was a very careful captain and had the boat in very good condition. He has an amazing talent of being able to solicit ideas from everyone then making a sound decision decisively.

Ean was very knowledgeable and volunteered to do any and every job and was good at them all.

Our own sail-netter Brian was the go to guy for navigation, chart reading, rigging and all things nautical as he is just about ready to take his boat south to the islands and is all up on the latest.

I lounged around the cockpit and tried to stay out of the way.

We had just about every kind of weather from storms to calms.

jameswilson29 08-07-2012 06:56 AM

Care to elaborate on the storms? (I already know too much about calms!)

davidpm 08-07-2012 04:16 PM

We got hit pretty good coming down the Delaware about 10 miles from the Atlantic Fri PM.

Since the bay is so shallow there it was very uncomfortable.
It was amazing how on a modified full keel ketch of good size could bounce around so much.
I'm pretty sure we were all a little green.
We got hit again Monday night Tues morning off the coast of MA.

The wind was not too bad maxing out at about 32 and steady at 25. The seas were by my estimate about 6-10 foot long rollers but not breaking. We had only about 4 feet of jib out.
While on a broad reach we were doing 7+ knots the waves hitting the boat at the stern at an angle.
We then turned left toward the preferred England and slowed down to 3 knots max. The waves coming from the port side forward of the beam threatened to wash over the boat but other than infrequent spray never did.

I've been in lots worse as we never had green water coming over the boat. What surprised me was how hard it was to steer and how hard it was to stay behind the wheel.
The boat motion was violent. Severe rolling from side to side.
Major wheel work to both sides to control the course.
On other trips I had been able to anticipate the waves and give it rudder to keep the boat straight then let the rudder center then repeat.
That trick would only work about half the time on this trip.
You would fight to keep it from rounding up for a few cycles then fight to keep it from falling off for a few cycles. Then for a few cycles you had to fight both sides in sequence.
The motion was so violent it took significant energy to not be physically flung around the cockpit and stay behind the wheel. In past trips you had to brace in one direction. In this trip the snap could be in any direction and and any amplitude. A port starboard snap could be PPPPPS or SSSSP or SPSPSPS or any combination.
That was new to me.

saillife 08-07-2012 10:48 PM

Just a quick comment or two.
Delaware bay was rough. Wind and current were on our nose the whole time. Motored the whole damn bay. Waves were 2-3' but the frequency was quick making the boat hobby horse. Especially in the afternoon.

The last night off Marthas Vineyard island was rough since we were headed in but didn't want to arrive in the dark. Waves were confused making it very hard to steer. I slept through the first part of the storm. 1:30 when I came on it had calmed down some but the motion was rough. I'm much more conservative than David on wave height :) but, six feet is not far off the mark. Steep but not breaking which is why it was 'dry'. Also we were beam, stern quarter on to the waves which made the motion worse but, again we were trying to keep from arriving before daylight.

Amazingly we ended up exactly where we wanted to when the sun came up.

Most important thing that David left out was that Ian did a great job making dinners. Very important for morale....

CalebD 08-07-2012 11:12 PM

Sounds as though you chaps had a rather fun delivery trip.

I've been on a boat with David before. I was impressed with his willingness to go down below for a lie down when the wind, weather and waves were at their worst. His nonchalance was actually reassuring. He inspired me to go below and not lie down when we were motoring into nearly 50 knot gusts on the LI Sound. I found that I did not get seasick sitting in the cabin of a pitching, yawing boat.

I hope you guys were inspired by having David along as much as I was.

saillife 08-08-2012 01:10 AM

Actually it was I who decided it was time for a nap when the wind started to pick up.:laugher

In my defense I'd been steering most of the day in 15 knot winds and knew I needed some time off before going back on watch. Now that you say that and knowing David decided to stay up maybe I should of been more worried:eek:

Seriously though it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Just a fun ride. As we kept joking in the morning "Boating is FUN!!!!"

If I can get my camera to work (it died from water spray) I'll post a pic of the morning crew having 'fun'