SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Female 1st Mate and cook wanted in Pacifc NW

6K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  HeartsContent 
#1 ·
Hi
I am writing a book about living off grid, by fishing and foraging in the Pacific Northwest aboard my traditional wooden sailing cutter.
I am looking for an adventurous woman with interests in foraging and cooking, who may or may not have much sailing experience. If you're a kayaker, bring it along.

I'm a 28 year old man, open minded, and prefer quiet anchorages to busy marina life. Will be launching the boat in Bellingham WA and sailing into the Gulf Islands for the fall and winter.

Please respond with a little about schedule and your skills and/or interests.

Thanks
Justin

#17 ·
28 ft wood boat....like a daysailer...in the PNW with all that rain.....living on cattail roots bait and roadkill....OH joy I bet there lining up now
Should one select young female crew members willing to sail with short fat old men from the larger pool of roadkill-eating young females? Or perhaps look for roadkill-eating females that make up a subset of the young females interested in sailing with short, fat old men? Or are they one and the same group?

#6 ·
I think its really just about the need to use caution. There are many many good folks here who really do wish to just find people who wish to crew and have a wonderful time. Then there are a few here who you might not wish to be out on a boat alone with. The messages looking for "female only" should be looked upon with eyes of caution for sure.

#8 ·
wow. for those skeptics and fear mongers out there I ask this. What woman would travel to a boat to become crew with someone(s) they don't know anything about? imagine the trajectory a little further. then imagine that not all women desire to the object of your affection. "they don't?" surprised? don't be.

#23 ·
Ahoy! Skipper Justin~

I must express my gratitude I feel upon reaching your post. Ideas involving sea-faring and foraging, a mysterious and simultaneous ambitious combination, which provoked me to write and seek. I have been perusing the crew listings to begin developing my sailor mind and muscles, as I'm seeking a couple months of boat life for privacy and solitude to do some writings on seas. So far searching for Puerto Rico to Mexico without much success, yet; and now searching instead for Puerto Rico to Somewhere South America. Anyway, in the midst of my land and water limbo, I am also considering a move to Bellingham (as I've considered it for several years now) and now here I see an opportunity in collaborating, in the case that I ever happen upon the vibrant phalo lake. Skill-sharing with what you know about sailing and what I know about harvesting, foraging, and re-appropriating found objects into boat art. A possibility.

Please tell me more through email about your written words thus far and your mind streams about living off-grid on the boat. I am listening. And, thank you very much for acting your vision, being your beliefs.

With courage, and compassion... and soft breezes. Or as they say 'fair' winds.
~Oceanna

#24 ·
Time to get the popcorn, this could get interesting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.