SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crew Wanted - Relaxed sailing beautiful Maine Islands - September

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnZion 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for 1 crew member [maybe 2] for sailing around the beautiful coast and islands of mid-coast Maine in September. Crew can join for a few days or a week or more.

Boat is a very good condition Pearson 36.5 ketch with solar and wind generator, grill, refrigeration. We will be sailing and anchoring off undeveloped islands and beaches, with lots of time to explore the shore, watch wildlife, read, cook good food, have fires on the beach, relax, forage, go clamming, paint, etc.

I am forty-five, been sailing since I was eight, from Greece and Italy to the Bahamas and Virgin Islands. I am a former wooden boatbuilder, wildlife biologist, relaxed, like to laugh and have a good time. Open to male or female crew, or a couple. Experience not necessary, but would be nice. Please CALL me if you are interested [I will have very limited or no time to get online between now and then].

Crew is responsible for their own food expenses (maybe $5-10 day), transportation at both ends of the trip, and a small daily contribution to fuel and boat expenses [negotiable].

You can see my last posting for crew and the crew's post-trip comments under 'crew wanted Maryland to Cape Cod.'

Please call John at 802 999 thirteen ninety-eight. Leave a message if I dont pick up.

Happy sailing!

See less See more
#5 ·
46 USC 2101 ( 5a) Allows:

"voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies. "

I would jump on this offer...if I didn't have a class to teach in sept. This is a great opportunity.

#6 ·
John, I noticed you have sought after crew more than once. I am not available in September but if you are looking for crew October and beyond please send me a PM and i'll tell you a little more about myself. (I can't send one to you until I have 15 posts and prefer not to tell personal information on the open forum)

Thanks!

#9 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am now in Portland, heading north for Belfast on Friday morning.

Sail up from Cape Cod was great (25 knot winds in Buzzards bay), hit [not literally] Hull, MA, the Isles of Shoals off NH {loved it, will go back}, Kennebunkport {too touristy and ritzy for me} and Portland {great old city with long oceangoing history, lots of good food, art and live music}.

Next - the real Maine islands begin! Lots of them. And tons of lobster pots to dodge. Dodge the pot. I hope I can just run them over when I'm sailing {no, not when motoring, I know}. Talk about zig zag zig zig zag. Yikes.

Thanks for the comments so far. Cheers Tempest, David and Goose.

Open spots for Maine are Sept 7-15 and Sept 21-28.

After that, if someone wants to join me for the sail back down to Cape Cod in late Sept/early October . . .

November will find me heading south, so if you are interested, call or email me. In the short term, just call! No internet on board.

OK, I am going clamming. Nice garlic-cilantro-white-wine sauce to steam them in . . . . . and maybe mahi mahi shishkabobs with pinapple, onion, mushroom, red peppers and . . . .

Anyone hungry now???

Bye

#10 ·
Pots are not too bad this year John. Many labsterman either are not fishing or are using limited gear.

Remember that you will start to see toggles in Muscongus bay and most will have toggles by the time you reach Frenchmans Bay.

IMO, the mixed area is worse because it can be difficult to match a toggle to a pot as some fisherman use a plain white toggle instead of a matching one.

#12 ·
Next Heading for Deer Ises/Mt Desert area [hundreds of islands] for a week before heading back south. Anyone interested in this area OR the offshore trip from Mt Desert to Cape Cod [135 miles, maybe 2 days] give me a call!

Been great weather so far, and good sailing. And lots of grilling. And anchoring. And clamming. And lobster pots. And friendly lobstermen. But fall is in the air . . . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.