Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2004

buurz is on a distinguished road
few general crew questions

Hi,
I am 21 year old male with little sailing experience (about 100 miles on Elan 33), I love sailing and am not afraid of hard work and getting my hands dirty. I would like to get more experience but I am not really sure where to start. I''m a college student and my budget is limited so shared expense trips are not really an option for me. How hard would it be to find paid position (or even a boat that just gives me food and a place to sleep) for an amateur like me? Also where should I be searching for positions like that, are there any good websites or agencies for that?
If I could find something starting in May that would be great, and I am especially interested in longer routes or anything that would be alot of sailing.
Any advice would be really helpful.

-Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2004

sportwa is on a distinguished road

I am looking for a crew member for a June, July 2004 cruise in the Bahamas with my family and friends aboard my 56'' Fontaine Pajot Catamaran sailboat (possible long term employment leading to captain''s license). Duties include deckhand, cleaning and assisting with light mechanical maintenance. All expenses paid and a salary according to experience.

Must have a positive attitude and a love of life. Male or female, young enough to climb around the boat, sorry but no smokers.

If you would like to explore this further email me back and lets see what happens.

Bill
Old 05-13-2004

sportwa is on a distinguished road

I am looking for a crew member for a June, July 2004 cruise in the Bahamas with my family and friends aboard my 56'' Fontaine Pajot Catamaran sailboat (possible long term employment leading to captain''s license). Duties include deckhand, cleaning and assisting with light mechanical maintenance. All expenses paid and a salary according to experience.

Must have a positive attitude and a love of life. Male or female, young enough to climb around the boat, sorry but no smokers.

If you would like to explore this further email me back and lets see what happens.

Bill
Old 05-14-2004

benlolson is on a distinguished road

sportwa --

I couldn''t help but notice that you are looking for a crew member in June/July to the Bahamas... I''m interested. Is the boat in the Bahamas, and if not, where would you be starting from?

I have experience sailing Cats in the BVI''s and also the Puget Sound in Washington, as well as Hobies and Catalina''s and a small assortment of other boats. I''m taking the summer off and trying to get as far away from Los Angeles as possible, and am very interested in a cruise. I am very apt with mechanics and also with people... I enjoy experiencing new things and places, and get along with just about anyone.

I was planning to travel across America to Florida by train, then hop on a boat somewhere going toward Belize, but my plans are always loose. When in June would you be starting out?

If you''re interested, by all means let me know. My email is benlolson@earthlink.net

56'' eh? Great size boat... Talk to you soon I hope.

Ben Olson
Old 05-17-2004

catcapitana is on a distinguished road

I have crewed a 46'' Wharram Cat from San Diego to the Panama Canal and a 34'' trimaran from San Diego to northern Costa Rico. Absolutely fell in love with the life style and the multihulls and have since pursued my own Captain''s license. I am proficient in radar and have my FCCC license. It''s been awhile since I''ve been on the water, but, I am looking to own a Cat
in the next 4 years and start my own charter business. I would be so delighted to crew on your boat that words couldn''t tell! I enjoy people and believe I''m pretty easy to get along with. I have been bartending for years and enjoy interacting with people and laughing. I am great crew...the work is a challenge and very rewarding....well, at any rate, I just happened this site while looking for information on Fontaine Pajot Catmarans and just had to give it a try! If you think I might work out with you, please email me at Salsa241@aol.com
Old 05-30-2004

CR is on a distinguished road

Hi Bill,

I''d be interested in a Captain''s position on a 56 foot Fontaine Pajot Catamaran. I''ve got the qualifications and experience needed, including 100 Gross Ton Master''s Licence. Experience in long distance single-handed racing on my 40 foot Island Packet. Experienced as mate and 2nd ticket on tall ships to include 110 foot brigantines in San Pedro, California. You can reach me at captainrich1@earthlink.net and I''ll gladly give you a ring at your convenience after chatting via E-Mail.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
===============
Old 06-13-2004

DebbieandScott is on a distinguished road

hi try st Barts Yachts in charleston s/c they have mostly new boats going from the U.S to the Caribbean. crew are unpaid, food and an Airefare is supplied voyages usualy around 10-12 days. Talk to kELLY sMITH 001 8435 777 377 good luck!
Old 10-25-2007

FELTON is on a distinguished road
thanks for the advice
Old 10-25-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Try signing up for crew with the Cruising Rally Association. They run the Carib 1500, Atlantic Cup, and other rallys. They post a crew list for volunteer crew for boats partcipating in these rallys. In general, you would be responsible for your own transportaion to the boat and back home but there would be no costs to you during the Rally itself. You can find the crew signup form at http://www.carib1500.com/. No experience is needed and these Rallys are a good way to get off-shore experience and also evaluate boats.