SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I want to crew on an offshore cruising boat

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Halcyon1 
#1 ·
I apologize if this is the wrong section as i did not see a crew available section on sailnet. I am looking to crew on an offshore passage sometime between now and the spring to build offshore experience before i head out on my own boat next spring to bermuda and off to europe. I have never sailed in the ocean having grew up and sailed all my life in the great lakes. I have experience coastally cruising, and have sailed since i was 5 or 6. (actually i think i won a few dinghy races as a kid). I have been in some heavy weather in lake ontario and am quite a capable cruiser i even sailed into the dock singlehanded once (that was not fun). i live and sail in toronto, but i would be willing to travel. Im looking to crew on a boat of any size going anywhere really with the exception of the red sea and eastern africa which i do not have any desire to go to. I have my own harness and weather gear">foul weather gear and dont get seasick easily. I would much prefer to be on a cruising boat than a racing boat however. Rebuilding my own boat i have the skills to do many maintenance and repair jobs that would come up during cruising so if your looking for a crew member send me a pm, or reply to this thread. Fair winds.

#2 ·
I suggest you try the "find a crew" web site as a free member. There are many web sites that match crew and boats but it is one of the better ones. If you are serious and can afford the air fare the big transit coming up is the Canary Islands,Spain to the Caribbean in November - December. There are usually hundreds of boats making the Europe to Americas trip including boats in the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers. It is a long trip - between 25 and 30 days.

Hope this helps

#4 ·
Crew

Sailing to Hawaii from California around November 1st. pitch in on diesel and food. crew needs a passport and personal locater beacon and be healthy no medical conditions. 30 plus days offshore from n Cali possible stop in san diego. Email me if serious wruotsala@gmail.com

#8 ·
There are hundreds of boats sailing toward the Caribbean from the East Coast in the next ten weeks. Newport RI, Norfolk Va, Annapolis MD, and Charleston SC are just a few of the jump off points you can try. There are two rallies headed south as well; check the web.
If you are serious, get out there and walk the docks, hang in the watering holes and make friends with the dock staff at marinas and yacht clubs.
Personally, I'd try Newport as I believe it is where you'll find the biggest concentration of south bound sailboats, but others on this forum may know of other places.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.