SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Last minute 2 day delivery sail Long Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/93263-last-minute-2-day-delivery-sail-long-island.html)

satorisailing 10-19-2012 12:12 PM

Last minute 2 day delivery sail Long Island

I'm looking for a crewmate on a 2-day sail from East Hampton to Mamaroneck, NY (near NYC) to deliver my Morgan 38 to winter storage. No experience necessary - just a desire to learn, take the helm to give me some breaks, and enjoy what are supposed to be 2 beautiful Indian summer days. This weekend Sun-Mon Oct 20-21. I'll pay for everything including reasonable transportation costs to and from the ports. Must speak first.

CalebD 10-19-2012 01:29 PM

Re: Last minute 2 day delivery sail Long Island

Sounds like a blast for someone who has the time. I've done this tip on other boats several times and it can be fun. Orionid meteor showers on Sat. night too.
Hope you find crew.

rockDAWG 10-19-2012 02:26 PM

I assume:
1. you would go around Montauk to LIS?
2. The date is Oct 21 to 22 (Sunday to Monday) or 20 to 21?

CalebD 10-19-2012 03:54 PM

RockD,
From East Hampton, LI there is not need to go around Montauk. Assumption is that the boat is kept in 3 Mile Harbor. From there it is a straight run across Gardiner's Bay to Plum Gut and LIS. Figure trip is just under 100 NM with one night at anchor.
Dates are unclear as 10/20 - 21 is Saturday and Sunday but Monday is mentioned.

rockDAWG 10-19-2012 04:29 PM

Thanks SD, I see it now. I am not familiar with eastern LI at all. I thought his boat was on the Oceanside. :( This is better and an easy sail. However, the weather calls for west wind all weekend, although the wind will subside a bit on Sunday (10 to 15 kn).

Unfortunately, with such a short notice and the OP did not leave his email address or number and he has no PM privilege. May be he can postpone until next week. Tight schedule in sailing is bad combination. :)

tweitz 10-19-2012 04:42 PM

satorisailing --

Where do you keep your boat in the summer. We are also based in 3 Mile Harbor: Gossamer Wings, a Beneteau 323.

jhgreen 10-19-2012 05:01 PM

This does sound like a fun trip, does e long island rail road go out that far i am in Milford Ct and would hate to drive that far and goig home from merneck is quicker to straight to Milford

rockDAWG 10-19-2012 07:05 PM

Yeah, there are trains go to Montauk, so I am sure there will stop in East Hampton. But not sure how frequent they will run in the weekend.

davidpm 10-19-2012 07:57 PM

I can do it, I'm in CT. call me 203-605-8801

CalebD 10-19-2012 09:49 PM

Satorisailing,

DavidPM would make an excellent crewman for your trip. I have done this trip before with him from MTK to Glen Cove and he is a great crew member.
It would be difficult to get someone as capable and competent as he is to go with you.
I kid you not.