SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Experienced Sailor for Baltimore-Brazil Voyage

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ughmo2000 
#1 ·
I'm posting this for a friend who is sailing from Baltimore, MD next week to Brazil (near Rio) via Norfolk, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, and Lesser Antilles on his Morgan Out Island 41.

A member of his crew backed out at the last minute and he is looking to replace him with an experienced bluewater sailor. Anticipate a 3-4 month adventure.

***Planning to depart Baltimore next week!***

One way return airfare is included. If interested, please contact Captain Kai Hansen:

Cell:(717) 648-9104

#3 ·
Most folks reach Brazil from North America via Europe, the Canaries, and the Cape Verde's.

Trying to buck the Guyana current, the prevailing winds, the mouth of the Amazon, as well as the multitude of fishing vessels an nets, well, it'd be a sail they'd not soon forget!

#4 ·
Most folks reach Brazil from North America via Europe, the Canaries, and the Cape Verde's.

Trying to buck the Guyana current, the prevailing winds, the mouth of the Amazon, as well as the multitude of fishing vessels an nets, well, it'd be a sail they'd not soon forget!
I guess that's why they're looking for an experienced sailor.

#5 ·
It can be done, but it's a LONG slog against prevailing current and winds. I have a friend who did it and he kept very close to shore to avoid the strongest part of the current (and even pick up a counter current), but this involves navigating in shallow waters with sand banks and many fishing boats. It requires a sharp eye at the helm and careful navigation 24 hours a day. On the positive side, you can put into a lot of beautiful ports and anchorages along the way that you wouldn't see coming from Cabo Verde. You can get all the Brazilian coastal charts for free from the Brazilian government in digital (raster) form that can be used with your laptop. They are excellent charts and frequently updated.

You'll find the charts here:

:: Diretoria de Hidrografia e Navegação

If you're not in a hurry, the trip is feasible, though not often done. Personally, I'd take the suggested route through the Atlantic islands and cut back to Brazil to land somewhere near Salvador. Then I'd sail south as far as Ilhabela, enjoying the the nicest part of the coast, and return north the same way, continuing on up the coast back to the Caribbean (this time with wind and current in your favour).

#8 ·
Thank you copacabana.

I looked into a very similar route and found virtually no information on it. I also found Jim's article and spoke with Jim at length. Yes, it's been done. But it's apparently turned around more boats than have made it. If you stay at sea you have adverse currents and the outflow of the Amazon. If you keep one foot on shore you have a host of lit/unlit fishing vessels, nets, wells, and the mouth of the Amazon river to contend with. Not to mention the wear and tear on both boat and crew.

After doing my own research, IMO the easiest route is to Europe, the Canaries, Cape Verde's, Brazil.

But best of luck to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.