SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Crew Wanted/Available (
-   -   Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX (

Stingray 12-05-2012 10:17 PM

Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I have been put in a situation here and hope someone can help me out. I bought a boat in New Bern, NC and have to get it back here to Texas ASAP. I was set up with a captain who does deliveries through my best friend's wife since he's her uncle and he was going to give me a great deal and all was good. He was insistent that I have an enclosure built so I set that up to be done by Thanksgiving so we could leave and be back by mid December. As is known to happen, it did not materialize by Thanksgiving. Now we've pushed up against his deadline to be back and he can no longer go until after the first of the year. I'm worried about it getting too cold and the weather getting too bad in January and would like to get it back before then. I have a '78 Sailcraft Comanche catamaran with a decent sail inventory, new cockpit enclosure, fresh bottom job, and mostly new running rigging. My experience level is low and I was hoping to learn from the trip as well as getting the boat back here. My nephew can come as long as we leave first part of next week so we'd have an extra set of hands but he also has limited sailing experience, though he is an Eagle Scout. I can pay for travel expenses and food and maybe a little extra for the right person. Write me through here with any more questions or text/call on my cell. nine-three-six-520-3810. Thanks in advance!

PBzeer 12-06-2012 08:19 AM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
If you're planning on crossing the Gulf from Florida to Texas, winds can be brutal that time of year.

Stingray 12-06-2012 10:41 AM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
John, are you talking about right now or in January? If I have to, I will run the ICW the entire way but I didn't really want to take that long.

edj125 12-07-2012 03:10 PM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
I'd be interested. I'm 35 M and have been sailing since I was 15. I have limited large boat experience and zero open water time. I once crewed a 35' in the Gulf, but only for day sails. I currently have a 22' Starwind , 16.5 Capri and a dolphin that I use on Conroe and Somerville.

What is your expected time frame for the trip?


Stingray 12-07-2012 04:20 PM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX

I'm actually from Conroe but never sailed on the lake, just power boats. It looks like I might be headed over sunday or monday and just get the boat as far as I can before we have to fly back for Christmas. If I pay for a third person to come with my nephew and I we'd have to be able to go open water to make better time. You can call or text me if you'd like to talk about it. Thanks.

ussoldier1984 12-09-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
Interesting I came across this post. Just two weeks ago I sailed my parents Gozzard 44 from Galveston TX to SW florida. It was an amazing sail! the first day the winds were not faverable and only one day with 15 foot seas other than that it was quite a blast! I also just happen to live in NC lol

RavenKing 12-09-2012 03:53 PM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
I keep my boat in a marina in new bern and I am also from eastern NC. Depending on the dates I may be able to help for a few days, then hop off and catch a bus/train home. Just let me know the dates.

PBzeer 12-09-2012 04:43 PM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
Was referring to January Stingray. As for running the ICW, once you're west of New Orleans, get behind a barge at dusk and follow him through the night. The ICW there is much wider, and rarely needs channel markers. Weather permitting, head out to the Gulf on the Calcesieu River to Galveston. The Ellender lift bridge just west of the Calcesieu requires a 4 hour advance notice (last I knew).

Stingray 12-13-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
We left out of New Bern and made it about 10 miles and the prop started slipping. I got it rigged back and we motored over to Matthews Point Marina. The guys here are stellar. Tons of help from a great group of guys. I recommend stopping by this one. Got a new prop on and ready to go, just waiting out a little foul weather before we get rolling again.

Ravenking. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but we were trying to leave out and beat this weather. Obviously that didn't happen, but if you're close by and still interested, let me know. We're down by Havelock right now, but if the weather clears we're going to make for Beaufort this afternoon. Thanks for the response.

Copter808 12-25-2012 12:24 PM

Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX
I could be available from tomorrow until the second week of January if you still need someone.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome