Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012

Stingray is on a distinguished road
Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX

Hey guys. I have been put in a situation here and hope someone can help me out. I bought a boat in New Bern, NC and have to get it back here to Texas ASAP. I was set up with a captain who does deliveries through my best friend's wife since he's her uncle and he was going to give me a great deal and all was good. He was insistent that I have an enclosure built so I set that up to be done by Thanksgiving so we could leave and be back by mid December. As is known to happen, it did not materialize by Thanksgiving. Now we've pushed up against his deadline to be back and he can no longer go until after the first of the year. I'm worried about it getting too cold and the weather getting too bad in January and would like to get it back before then. I have a '78 Sailcraft Comanche catamaran with a decent sail inventory, new cockpit enclosure, fresh bottom job, and mostly new running rigging. My experience level is low and I was hoping to learn from the trip as well as getting the boat back here. My nephew can come as long as we leave first part of next week so we'd have an extra set of hands but he also has limited sailing experience, though he is an Eagle Scout. I can pay for travel expenses and food and maybe a little extra for the right person. Write me through here with any more questions or text/call on my cell. nine-three-six-520-3810. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX-wp_000321-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Crew wanted-New Bern, NC to Kemah, TX

If you're planning on crossing the Gulf from Florida to Texas, winds can be brutal that time of year.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2012

John, are you talking about right now or in January? If I have to, I will run the ICW the entire way but I didn't really want to take that long.
Old 12-07-2012

edj125 is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested. I'm 35 M and have been sailing since I was 15. I have limited large boat experience and zero open water time. I once crewed a 35' in the Gulf, but only for day sails. I currently have a 22' Starwind , 16.5 Capri and a dolphin that I use on Conroe and Somerville.

What is your expected time frame for the trip?

Erik
Old 12-07-2012

Erik-

I'm actually from Conroe but never sailed on the lake, just power boats. It looks like I might be headed over sunday or monday and just get the boat as far as I can before we have to fly back for Christmas. If I pay for a third person to come with my nephew and I we'd have to be able to go open water to make better time. You can call or text me if you'd like to talk about it. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2012

ussoldier1984 is on a distinguished road

Interesting I came across this post. Just two weeks ago I sailed my parents Gozzard 44 from Galveston TX to SW florida. It was an amazing sail! the first day the winds were not faverable and only one day with 15 foot seas other than that it was quite a blast! I also just happen to live in NC lol
Old 12-09-2012

RavenKing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RavenKing

I keep my boat in a marina in new bern and I am also from eastern NC. Depending on the dates I may be able to help for a few days, then hop off and catch a bus/train home. Just let me know the dates.
Cheers

The person who doesn't scatter the morning dew will not comb gray hairs
Old 12-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Was referring to January Stingray. As for running the ICW, once you're west of New Orleans, get behind a barge at dusk and follow him through the night. The ICW there is much wider, and rarely needs channel markers. Weather permitting, head out to the Gulf on the Calcesieu River to Galveston. The Ellender lift bridge just west of the Calcesieu requires a 4 hour advance notice (last I knew).

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-13-2012

Update:
We left out of New Bern and made it about 10 miles and the prop started slipping. I got it rigged back and we motored over to Matthews Point Marina. The guys here are stellar. Tons of help from a great group of guys. I recommend stopping by this one. Got a new prop on and ready to go, just waiting out a little foul weather before we get rolling again.

Ravenking. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but we were trying to leave out and beat this weather. Obviously that didn't happen, but if you're close by and still interested, let me know. We're down by Havelock right now, but if the weather clears we're going to make for Beaufort this afternoon. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-25-2012

Copter808 is on a distinguished road

I could be available from tomorrow until the second week of January if you still need someone.