Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013
delivery & race

castorp is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Wanted - Short Delivery Apr 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
...sounds like a really bad idea, out there this time of year. Nothing can justify such a trip. Especially on a schedule! Come skiing with the rest of us, at least you can dress for it...
I'm a dinghy frostbighter here on the Gulf of Maine so I guess already probably a little "crazy"... plus I like the cold, the wet, the hardship!
Besides, what have countless generations of mariners, relying on going down to sea for their livelihood and sustenance (including the de facto birth of the USCG in 1832 with a specific mandate from Treasury Secretary McLane to assist mariners in need during wintertime), done during the winter months? *****-out, stay home, and starve? What did the NYYC schooners Henrietta, Fleetwing, and Vesta do in 1866 for the first Transatlantic race (setting out from Sandy Hook for the Isle of Wight one cold December morning)? Complain that it was too cold to race? Not to mention Slocum, Shackleton (the James Caird!), et al...
As with any venture, planning, planning, and more planning is the key here I think, and then the constant bearing in mind that while one may love the sea, the sea does not love you!

apologies again for the drift!
Yamsailor likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorp View Post
As with any venture, planning, planning, and more planning is the key here I think, ...!
what people have had to do to make a living is no justification for what people chose to do for fun.

Here around Boston many (all? beats me) professional lobstermen have put their boats away til late March or so. The real injustice of trips like the one you have responded to, is when foolish mariners get themselves into an avoidable pickle, it usually requires a group of USCG personnel to put their lives on the line to bail them out.
Old 01-17-2013
delivery & race

Quote:
The real injustice of trips like the one you have responded to, is when foolish mariners get themselves into an avoidable pickle, it usually requires a group of USCG personnel to put their lives on the line to bail them out.
'fair point, but so is it your view then that any mariner considering such a passage is perforce "foolish"? or is it just LT PrebleBoy, USN and myself that you would consider to be foolish??
Old 01-17-2013
delivery & race

PS 'don't know how relevant it is here, but a former Mass Maritime instructor recently quiped to me something to the effect that "the older [and presumably more experienced] one gets, the less risk one is willing to assume", to which I responded with the old bromides that a) "a person never knows their limits until they're tested", and b) "argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours"...
no sane person prudently wants to assume undue hazard, especially given the consideration that it might have consequences beyond one's self [!], but I don't see that it necessarily then follows that all hazard is to be shunned... a safe may drop on one's head as one walks down the sidewalk, but does this then mean that one never leaves the house? Mitigated risk is the case here I think, with that mitigation being a consideration of foresight, planning, and experience/ability. But then, in all earnestness, why do you think that such a passage is beyond reasonable mitigation?
Old 01-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

j-
Considering the time of year, the possible need to sit out wx, scheduling...It might make make sense to "drive the bus" and motor up the ICW instead.
Unless you are looking to equip the boat for offshore use, in which case you may want to look into safety equipment (i.e. life raft, epirb, navionics) and plan on spending some time to install and equip the boat before the trip.
If this was a centerboard boat that has had the board modified or sealed up, it may not be suitable for the offshore run at all. Or if it was fixed in the down position, you might not be able to consider the ICW. Post some information, shed some light. Could be useful to you, too.
Old 01-17-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorp View Post
...Mitigated risk is the case here I think, with that mitigation being a consideration of foresight, planning, and experience/ability. But then, in all earnestness, why do you think that such a passage is beyond reasonable mitigation?
Organizing a boat move in the winter based on an open-ended plan responsive to the weather, reduces some of the risks...whether enough to make a trip prudent may deserve debate.

To organize a two-three day trip for a three day window, with fixed start and finish times, which ensures cutting judgement to make the schedule, is in my opinion a plan beyond reasonable mitigation.
Old 01-17-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen,

As long as one has taken the right precautions, done the planning, checked the boat out for integrity as it relates to the trip at hand, and has an experienced Captain on board--one who can make good judgements and has a lot of skill, there is no reason not to undertake this voyage.

Sounds like a a lot of Coastal Cruisers answering you. Given the conditions and time of year, you want to make sure the Captain you hire has off shore, blue-water experience in the latitudes you will be sailing. I would also recommend you hire someone whom additionally, has experience teaching ASA, RYA or US Sailing Passage Making Courses. These Captains are used to having relatively inexperienced blue-water sailors onboard as they cross oceans.

One suggestion might be is to contact some ASA or US Sailing Schools that teach Passage Making. The instructors who teach those courses also have a lot of blue-water experience and are USCG Licensed.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Yamsailor; 01-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2013
delivery & race

Quote:
To organize a two-three day trip for a three day window, with fixed start and finish times, which ensures cutting judgement to make the schedule, is in my opinion a plan beyond reasonable mitigation.
This makes a lot of sense of course, and I would presume that if the forecast turns terribly sour the passage would be scrubbed...
But yes!, mother nature must indeed be the final arbiter!!
fair winds
Old 01-18-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I would accept that explanation, except that as I look at the line wrapped around the winch, the load seems to be above the winch, not below it. (perhaps a Cunningham?)
Just guessing but maybe.... the winch mounts to side of mast where there is a wide mounting surface; the line runs through a turning block on the centerline so that there is a straight lift. It would be great if the Op could enlighten us.

Sorry for the tread drift also .
Old 01-18-2013

peterconway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
j-
Considering the time of year, the possible need to sit out wx, scheduling...It might make make sense to "drive the bus" and motor up the ICW instead.
Unless you are looking to equip the boat for offshore use, in which case you may want to look into safety equipment (i.e. life raft, epirb, navionics) and plan on spending some time to install and equip the boat before the trip.
If this was a centerboard boat that has had the board modified or sealed up, it may not be suitable for the offshore run at all. Or if it was fixed in the down position, you might not be able to consider the ICW. Post some information, shed some light. Could be useful to you, too.

He specified wanting an outside passage.....I had this kind of confidence when I was young. Now, I understand big ocean, little boat and the ocean doesn't care that I want to live.