SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Torch 
#1 ·
Hail Sail Net.

I'm a new member, interested in crewing around the Pacific islands, hopefully making my way to Australia... If anyone is looking for crew, can suggest the best places to look for crewing positions or has any other tips on how to prepare, what training to have, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm a 23 year old male, 3 years experience pleasure and commercial crewing (sail and power) on coastal waters around Van island and Haida Gwaii. looking for blue water experience and positions crewing around the pacific islands, ultimately trying to make my way to Australia. 4 years as a commercial diver, 1 year wood-working experience, aspiring photographer and videographer, 1 year experience professional detailing, exterior and interior, ISPA Competent crew and pleasure craft operators license.

Thanks very much for the help.

Wind in your sails.

--

Nate.

#2 ·
Have a look at the Pacific Puddle Jumpers website. It is a clearing house for people going from the Americas to at least French Polynesia.

#3 ·
Last time I was in Vavau Tonga in June, there were more boats looking for crew than available crew. The reason was they wanted extra eyes aboard, to navigate the maze of coral on the way to Fiji. May- June is the start of the cruising season there.

#4 ·
Have you done a passage yet? You have good amount of experience, but a passage requires a whole different skill set. ISPA competent crew is a start; you need to build a stronger knowledge base as well.

#5 ·
Howdy. Thanks Killarney and Brent for the tips. As far as Passage experience Jack, this is how part of how I'm trying to get some; It gets a little tricky if you need passage experience to get aboard a boat doing a passage... If you've got any tips for a course I could take or another way to get this on my resume that'd be great. Thank yall again for the help.

#6 ·
You might try crewing on during some races. Some folks at the Nanaimo Yacht Club may be looking for crew.

#8 ·
Update: I've made it to Hawaii! Did the crossing to Hawaii in August with mild conditions on a Macgregor 65. 34 days. Great learning experience and I'm ready for more. Found work on Maui and looking for a ride on the next leg. Anybody going south west of Hawaii looking for crew give me a shout and we'll get to know each other.

Nate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.