SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking to sail in Wilmington NC

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Donna_F 
#1 ·
I am a landlocked sailor. I'm looking to crew in Wilmington, NC. I just moved here from West Palm Beach and belonged to a sailing meetup there. I don't know any sailors in town.

I have experience cruising from Los Angeles to Miami and sailing in the Pacific as well as some bareboats in the Caribbean.

Please contact me if you are interested in crew.

Thanks,

Lucie

#2 ·
Welcome to sailnut Lucie!

There are sailors who are members here in your local area. Another option is that you are very close to the east coast ICW that many boats use to go north or south as the seasons dictate.
There is a 'Crew Wanted' section of this forum. I'll suggest that you post a thumbnail sailing resume for yourself there. You might get a lift on boats moving north as they ought to be right about now.

Good luck.

#3 ·
There are a variety of clubs and groups in the area, but it might take a little legwork. For small boat racing you might look into Carolina Yacht Club on Wrightsville, but membership may be somewhat expensive/exclusive.

There's also a group called Wrightsville Beach Ocean Racing Association, that does PHRF racing outside Masonboro Inlet. They're not as active as they once were, but I think they still have a summer race series, so there may still be some skippers looking for crew. Some of the boats are probably kept at Seapath, so you might check with the dockmaster there to see if he can point you in the right direction.

#4 ·
Lake Waccamaw had a fairly active dinghy sailing club when I lived in Raleigh two years ago. I raced Flying Scots there a few times. It's about an hour drive west. There's a very active Flying Scot racing district in North Carolina and a few of the boats are out of Wilmington.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.