SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Zealand cruise in April 2013 - skipper/ crew wanted

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  derdom 
#1 ·
Hey,

we are a young couple (28/30) from Munich, Germany who are traveling through New Zealand in April 2013. We have some sailing experiences and a license (SBF Binnen / See) but did not yet sail any larger yachts. We are therefore looking for an opportunity to join an existing crew or a skipper for a couple of days. Please let us know if you are sailing in New Zealand and still need two crew members to share costs.

Our preference would be to sail in the last week of April around Auckland but we are pretty flexible.

Best, Dominik

#3 ·
There is at least one rental company Sunsail?. Those places tend to be expensive and I believe in Auckland require knowledge and experience, possibly = a coastal YM.
The usual response most people get is a reference to harbour racing which is widely available from Westhaven most evenings and weekends.
You can find the details at crew.org.nz.
You are not likely to get much response to a request for a couple of days sailing, as most prefer to have met prospective guests beforehand, although quite possibly you could get a day sail or two.

#4 ·
Your best bet is Great Escapes located in the Bay of Islands. They will let you hire a boat without certifications but the will determine your ability prior to letting you hire a boat.

When and if in Auckland go to the Ponsonby Cruising Club located at Westhaven Marina at 15.00 Thursday afternoons and they will put you on a boat for a rum race. Bring a 6 pak of beer.

#6 ·
I think I got good suggestions for the Auckland region, thanks for that!
Are there friendly clubs, regular regattas or skippers in the Christchurch region, as well? I guess we will arrive there on April 7th to tour the southern island before heading north...
Best, Dominik

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.