Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013

debbiedragonfly is on a distinguished road
Re: Experienced Crew needed from Tahiti to Fiji

Last edited by debbiedragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013

sailortrash is on a distinguished road

That is a lot to ask for thousands in travel expenses and you still want them to pay for food and fuel. Asking experienced crew to do this with out even offering them at a minimum free passage on the trip really narrows the field of people. You might find someone but I doubt it.
Old 06-03-2013

Talking Re: Experienced Crew needed from Tahiti to Fiji

Last edited by debbiedragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2013

lavidanueva is on a distinguished road

There is no reason to be flaming people. Each party must make up his own mind what value is being offered and whether they should contribute.

As for the captain, he is slighting U.S. law by charging for the trip. That is his choice, but what he ends up with are people who are slipping in under the law insted of with the law. Crew with paid expenses are generally more responsible.

As for the sailor, it would cost a mint to buy the boat and do the trip, this is sailing at the least expensive end.

No one is making decisions for the captain, only suggestions. Find love and peace and you will shed the constant negative rails.
Old 06-03-2013

sailortrash is on a distinguished road

True I do not know everything, however I do know the difference between awe and awful. That being said after spending the last 13 years of my life as a professional sailor and covering more than 60k offshore miles I think I just might have a better idea about this particular subject than you do. I was just giving friendly advice. The reality is if you want truly experienced crew on short notice you have to pay for it 99.9 percent of the time. Costs vary from about 150 a day for a good experienced deck hand to 500 a day for a good captain. I am not being a hater as you put it actually im happy for you. By all means go have a great time but something tells me you won't.
toodles
Old 06-03-2013

Last edited by debbiedragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2013

lavidanueva is on a distinguished road

Chill. No one wishes you evil. If you have someone near by then it makes it a lot better deal for you. No one said you should hire professional crew. The suggestion was, pay the expenses of your crew, no pay your crew. Here is what happened from the crew perspective to someone else. Not saying anything about you or your boat. Sailing Savoir Faire: Lady Domina Disappears, Family Shattered
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-06-2013

Last edited by debbiedragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedragonfly View Post
really?? a quote from sailortrash: The reality is if you want truly experienced crew on short notice you have to pay for it 99.9 percent of the time. Costs vary from about 150 a day for a good experienced deck hand to 500 a day for a good captain.

I think maybe there are a lot of people who are commenting without reading the ENTIRE thread...
Ease up here. And oh by the way I have read the entire thread so spare me the haughty attitude

A sign of maturity is to filter through the comments without having to answer each one in a confrontational tone

It was you who posted on the internet. In doing that you should expect a certain amount of comments on your posts. When people comment and they don't share your opinion or give advice which doesn't agree with you to call them "haters"
Quote:
how about we make a deal, you haters who think you know everything go get a lifedebbiedragnfly
is a bit much don't you think. That coupled with your argumentative tone to everyone and shows a lack of maturity. I would think three times about getting on a 50 ft. boat with some like that.

As far as the advice given by others, I would concur with it for the most part. Sounds to me like you want a few warm bodies who pay for themselves. You are acting like you are doing "crew" a favor by taking them. I have found by taking care of your crew shows appreciation and you get a different caliber person.

I would look at this posting carefully and pass for the following reasons. One paying for even their own food and two, your controlling attitude as evidenced here which I wouldn't want to sign on to do any passage with let alone the Pacific, even 150 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-06-2013

look.. I am just frustrated with people telling me I'm wrong to ask for crew and to hope they'd pay for their own food portion.. I didn't post to ask for advice... if I wanted it, I'd have put it in a different forum... I was looking for crew, plain and simple. If the people giving me advice weren't looking to crew... why were they there?? I contend it was to see their name on the screen and to puff up their own image of just how smart they are. I have seen multiple people mis-quote me and take things I say out of context... I am tired of having to defend my right to post.. of simply offering up someone a chance to to sail..their choice whether to take it or not... sorry, but I can't help but be sarcastic when I have been faced with nothing but people telling me I have to pay crew. I guess I just don't understand why... WHY do they have to bother even commenting.. why can't THEY be mature and leave the "crew" forum alone for the ones looking, and go post a "how to get the best crew ever" thread if they feel they have so much knowledge to pass along. Maybe then I wouldn't have felt attacked, and maybe yes I should have expected it.. but I didn't... this was my first posting here, and what a welcome to your communitity.
jrd22 likes this.