debbiedragonfly is on a distinguished road
Experienced Crew needed from Tahiti to Fiji

Last edited by debbiedragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: was critisized
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Experienced Crew needed from Tahiti to Fiji

No one can guarantee not getting sea sick. Just like no captain can guarantee a fair passage. Some are prone to sea sick and some are not. But everyone will get sea sick given the right combination. The young ones tend to get seasick more than the old folks. But with the proper medications, most of sea sickness can be controlled or minimized.

Good crew be worth his weight in gold, so the captain can get rest at night and possibly it can save his life when bad things happen. If you want to have reliable crews and not to bail out the day he gets a better offer, it is a small price pay to help out the crew with travel expense and feed them properly.

Sometime, you may get lucky to find find someone without paying. As a prudent sailor, one should not count on luck.

I am just sayin' Good luck.
lavidanueva likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-11-2013

Thanks for the feedback rockDAWG.. I'm not sure I agree about having to pay for good crew. He managed to find 2 separate crew who were good and didn't expect to be paid for the experience of crossing the ocean. Besides.. your comment about feeding them properly is unfounded.. they eat really well and if you rely on someone else to supply your food, you're forced to eat what they want to pay for aren't you? There are lots of people who love sailing.. need the experience and just can't afford their own boat. They'd have to pay for their own food anyway. It's a win-win, so why should he have to pay for someone's pleasure?

ANYWAY... if there's someone actually interested please let me know.
Old 04-12-2013

kbenoit001 is on a distinguished road

I'm interested. Shoot me an email kbenoit001 [at] gmail.com
Old 04-15-2013
Mirage32

wayne56 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like could be a terrific opportunity, but a long way to go (for some) on very little info. Finding the right fit is about mutual expectations and compatability as much as it is about the boat and the sailing resumes of skipper and crew. It would be great to hear more detail from skipper directly!
Cheers
Old 04-15-2013

Last edited by debbiedragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2013

lavidanueva is on a distinguished road

When crew pay for transportation, food, they come with their own expectations, often like they are paying for a vacation and you damn well better give it to them or they go on strike. Nothing worse than a striking crew when the chips are down. Sometimes you get lucky, but a small investment for good crew can be worth it's weight in gold.

Personal experience, I had voluntary crew on a Gulf of Mexico crossing, we hit storm conditions, 22 foot waves, 90 kt winds, me with a broken rib after falling and my non paid crew below high on his prescription sea sickness meds. It was like baby sitting and single handing at the same time for 7 days. Best of luck to you...
Old 04-16-2013
Mirage32

wayne56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedragonfly View Post
I am relaying messages to him, so what details would you like to know? He's going to try to get internet at Nuku Hiva in a couple days.
Hi DebbieDragonfly. I take your points.

I'm shortly off on a 10 day delivery (unpaid BTW...I'm one of those people who does this once in awhile for fun) so I'm probably too short of time to put my name forward. Too bad for me - I've done Atlantic passages but only Pacific coastal sailing and this area is on my bucket list!

So I just offer this suggestion if you are looking for response from smart, experienced crew who should be cautious about an unknown boat/skipper. Post more sailing resume info, and provide details on the boat and its setup for passage making (particularly safety related stuff). Cheers!
Old 05-05-2013

Last edited by debbiedragonfly; 06-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2013
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road

Bora Bora > Fiji is over 1700nm and your intended itinerary spans only 2-3 weeks. That is a lot of ground to cover for someone who is going that far out of his/her way for no compensation and without seeing some of the better parts of the Pacific. Last year I spent 3 months doing the same leg but with stops in Rarotonga, Niue and Tonga. You are really cheating yourself not making any extended stops and so would your crew. Sailing alone will be a hard sell. That said, Hiva Oa is a great place to pick up unpaid crew that found they did not care for their skipper/boat during the long passage from Mexico/Galapagos.

p.s. In Taioha'e, Nuka Hiva, make sure to eat at the black-and-white striped food truck next to the bank--by far the best deal in town.
SimonV and aeventyr60 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by obelisk; 05-05-2013 at 12:49 PM.