SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Annapolis - Atlantic early June

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  willyd 
#1 ·
I'm planning a trip from the Severn river to the Atlantic ocean and back June 1st - 10th or so. I'd like to make a non-stop leg to Norfolk, and it's primarily for this leg that I'd like to have crew. After Norfolk (or Cape Charles), I want to poke the bow out into the Atlantic and perhaps sail up to Chincoteague and back. A circumnavigation of the peninsula is not out of the question.

I'm looking for competent crew that knows the basics of chart navigation and can steer - someone looking for more experience sailing at night or navigating using charts would be ideal. I have one semi-committed crew member and am looking for a 3rd or backup in case he can't make it.

The boat is a Whitby 25, a folkboat-based sloop that I've owned since 2011. Here's a photo.
I've owned a few small sloops which I've sailed around the Bay and have also crewed on some deliveries. A map of a similar trip I took last year as well as some amateur videos can be found here.

I'll provide meals on board, but you will have to get yourself to and from the boat - like a camping trip, only on the water. No solicitations from professional skippers, thank you.

Give me a holler if all or part of this trip sounds interesting.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Are you imposing the same requirements as you did in this previous thread:http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted/72656-chesapeake-trip-may.html :D ...because I do not know how to repair complicated electronics...or speak any Native American dialects...plus I like to hang laundry on the lifelines...

I'm thinking of making a 2-3 week cruise down the Chesapeake and up the James river this May in my Pacific Seacraft 25. She's minimally equipped: tiller steering, porta potty, compass & charts, hank-on foresails. Interested persons should bring their own gear and are responsible for their transportation to and from the boat.

Interested crew should:
- know how to read a nautical chart and
- steer in a straight line (toward the desired point)
- be able to stand night watches
- know how to use the two-way radio
- be willing to do sail changes in all conditions
- cook well
- possess RSA certificate or equivalent
- be physically fit, mentally awake, morally straight, etc.
- be ready to jump overboard and push the boat off of sandbars should we run aground
- not pee on the anchor or rudder
- not throw up on either of the above or in the cabin
- not run with scissors
- or play with matches
- not get seasick
- not get sunburned
- like biting insects
- warn the captain if the boom is about to hit him in the head
- be ready to light the captain's pipe when it goes out
- wake up the captain should he fall asleep during his watch
- not hang laundry from the lifelines
- be able to repair complicated electronics, including radar, even though there are none on board
- have a knowledge of local Indian languages (e.g., Powhatan)
- not have voted for anyone before Eisenhower
- play a musical instrument
- be mindful of proper idiom and register when speaking with the captain
- write good poetry and be ready to recite a daily poem about how enjoyably the trip is going

I will provide all the food (pop-tarts & non-alcoholic beer, or ramen & gatorade, alternately, with dollar store fig bars for dessert) unless you bring your own and it doesn't require cooking or leave grease marks on the chart table.

#10 ·
Hi Will,

My post count isn't high enough to send you a PM.

I just had an opening in my schedule that can make this work. Do you still need crew?

I don't have a ton of experience, have passed ASA up through 104, have sailed mostly on the Chesapeake. My overnights have been in marinas -- I have never sailed at night.

If you still need crew, reply and I'll find a way to get in touch.

#13 ·
Hey LeFlaneur - sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I've actually got a committed crewman for the trip, but if you're interested in doing Annapolis-Norfolk straight through (fingers crossed we get constant wind from the right direction for the right amount of time), let's talk. I'd also like to meet you sometime beforehand. Give me a call at four four three 3 7 0 two six zero three.

- Will

#18 ·
Willy,
I'm around the corner on the Magothy. I can't make this trip and truthfully a 25 is smaller than I like but I am hoping to make a similar trip this year.
Holler if you see Patient Lady, a Irwin 38 Center cockpit.
Hope you have a nice trip

#24 ·
Let me know if you still need crew. My 18 year old son is looking for ways to boost up his resume before we head down the ICW in the fall. He isn't long on experience, but he took lessons, and I allow him to captain around Georgian Bay, some of the toughest water in the world to navigate. He can dock, and since all our outings are overnights, on the hook, he has good experience with that. He's a hard worker, and could get himself there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.