Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013

Sofiami is on a distinguished road
Smile North america to central/south america

Hello.

My name is Sofia, Iím a 22 years old, looking to crew on a boat that goes from north America (ideally North east coast of NA) to south/central America. I have been born and raised in Greece and Iíve spend my last 4 years in Montreal, Canada, where I completed my undergraduate degree at McGillís university school of Environment. I speak Greek, English, French and basic Spanish.

I do not have much sailing experience, but I am very familiar with life on board, as I have spend most of my summers traveling on RIB boats in the Mediteranean. I am very hardworking, eager to learn, responsible and dependable. I am healthy and physically fit (and can guarantee I do not get sea sick). In addition to the regular crew duties, I can be very helpful with cooking, cleaning and taking care of children.

I would like to leave NA in mid-end of June as I would like to be in South America by the end of July (but even somewhere in Central america would be great, and I ll find another way to go south). You can reach me at sofiamaniat (at) yahoo (dot) gr and Iím available to skype as well -send me an email first.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: North america to central/south america

Most people won't be crossing the Caribbean during hurricane season which starts in about a month and ends in October.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2013

@sww914
thank you for your reply. important to know that it will be hurricane season - i knew that the winds would not be ideal, but I thought that since it will be summer (vacations) for north americans, many boats will go towards the Caribbean.
Old 04-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

North Americans generally 'winter' in the Caribbean... it's not quite the idyllic place in true 'summer'.... And in any event getting from East Coast Canada to South America in a month is not likely on a sailing vessel.

Best of luck in your quest but I fear you'll find few takers on that timetable...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-17-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

It's worse than winds not ideal, it's potentially deadly. Most insurance companies will not allow their insured's boats to be in that region between June-October so most of the nice boats are gone then. That means that if you're trying to sail through there you'll be in a dangerous place on a boat with no insurance. Either it's un-insurable or the owners have no money. Either way, it would be better to fly 2-3-4 legs and hit the highlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013

Thank you for your replies, it's very nice that you took the time to inform me about those things. I've never been to the caribbean and was not familiar with the weather patterns there - maybe I should have done better research before getting excited about this plan. I'll probably have to wait a bit more before I sail in these regions.

Tags
cook , crew available , june , south america