SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Delivery Boston to Florida

5K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  ClubOrlov 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for skipper/crew to deliver a 32' yawl from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, preferably this summer. I am considering truck freighting the boat but I thought I would inquire as to delivery by sea. I know very little about sailing and would like to get the boat down to Florida in order to start learning. I am also moving to Ecuador from the U.S. this year, and would consider delivery as far as Panama or Colombia, if the cost is reasonable. Please reply if interested and available between now and August.

Thanks,

Paul Whitehurst
Quito, Ecuador

#2 ·
What kind of boat? (make/age) and what condition is she in? I am guessing that because you are from Ecuador, that you may not know her well...

#3 ·
The boat is an owner-built centerboard sharpie. The builder is Chris Morejohn, not an amateur (google "Hogfish Maximus" to see this boat's larger brother). It is 25 years old and in excellent condition, well-maintained by its previous owner. As this is my first post, I cannot post links to pictures of the boat, but reply to this post with an email address and I will send them along. The boat is currently in dry storage in East Boston. I'd like to get it to Ft. Lauderdale before the end of the summer.

Incidentally, I am not from Ecuador; I am from Texas. I am moving to Ecuador and that will be the boat's likely final destination.

#5 ·
Hi there. We are trying to find the best way to get our Apache 37 from Long Island to California. I was just planning to post for opinions about possible water delivery. Very long way, but smaller boats have done it :-0
We aren't bilingual enough to feel comfortable in the more southern waters.
We figured maybe three months or so @ cruise. We could pick her up when she is in the Pacific.
Opinions & suggestions would be appreciated. I am just beginning my search for possible delivery skippers...

#7 ·
going the wrong way as regards gulf stream so would need to go coastal. may be hard on boat and slow ( expensive). would look into trucking as safer ( seasonal storms), easier and probably cheaper option. Would be excellent way to learn your boat. ?maybe hire a captain fo the first week or two for teaching purposes and then do the rest yourself. Best of both worlds Would try to get where you're going before hurricane season .

#8 · (Edited)
Boston to Lauderdale... 1300+ miles
Lauderdale to Panama... 1300+ miles

In a small boat you would be lucky to average 50 miles per day on the ICW and Fl to Panama is hard work in a big boat and not to be attempted in hurricane season.

That is a month for each leg and hurricane season is approaching.
Where will the boat be berthed in Lauderdale and Panama?

In Fl you would be better going to Miami... www.CGSC.org

We have done both trips, on the boat in our avatar, as a two person professional team and it is hard work on a big keel boat. The Panama leg would be dangerous in a Sharpie even if you knew what you were doing!

Truck it or sell it.

Phil

#13 · (Edited)
Let me know if you still need someone I am a former merchant marine captain unlimited tonnage any ocean I live in Costa rica on the pacific side ive been here for 16 years. I am 48 years old and fairly proficiate in all aspects of boats and engineering raised in south florida in the keys if you need help bringing the boat all the way down to ecuador let me know i have plenty of time retired at 43 6 years ago. been looking at property in salinas or manta myself I have 117 trips through the canal under my belt and know the port of manta as well call me 011 506 26546278
305 921 9544(both of these call CR) I have people avail for crew

#15 ·
Hello, My name is Brian Koch and I am interested in the delivery of your boat. I am former active duty USCG as well as Federally certified instructor of USCG Master 100 and 200 tons, GMDSS Radar STCW and a number of other courses. I stopped keeping count on my trips in 2005 and at that point had done 155 trips north or south, as far north as Newfoundland and as far south as Venezuela. Please feel free to contact me

#16 ·
Hogfish is a modified sharpie, designed to handle to open ocean. It's been as far north as Maine and as far south as the Virgins. It's a rather forgiving craft, hard to capsize. Doesn't have the disadvantage of keelboats, which trip over their keels in big waves. It can definitely do the trip provided the crew is reasonably qualified. I averaged well over 120nm a day on the ocean. On the intracoastal the going is slow, especially late in the season when days are short; 5kt for 10 hours a day is typical, so, yes 50nm/day is pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.