SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Boat Delivery Boston to Florida (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/99386-boat-delivery-boston-florida.html)

JPaul 05-10-2013 09:56 PM

Boat Delivery Boston to Florida

Hello,

I am looking for skipper/crew to deliver a 32' yawl from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, preferably this summer. I am considering truck freighting the boat but I thought I would inquire as to delivery by sea. I know very little about sailing and would like to get the boat down to Florida in order to start learning. I am also moving to Ecuador from the U.S. this year, and would consider delivery as far as Panama or Colombia, if the cost is reasonable. Please reply if interested and available between now and August.

Thanks,

Paul Whitehurst
Quito, Ecuador

eherlihy 05-10-2013 10:02 PM

Re: Boat Delivery Boston to Florida

What kind of boat? (make/age) and what condition is she in? I am guessing that because you are from Ecuador, that you may not know her well...

JPaul 05-10-2013 10:41 PM

The boat is an owner-built centerboard sharpie. The builder is Chris Morejohn, not an amateur (google "Hogfish Maximus" to see this boat's larger brother). It is 25 years old and in excellent condition, well-maintained by its previous owner. As this is my first post, I cannot post links to pictures of the boat, but reply to this post with an email address and I will send them along. The boat is currently in dry storage in East Boston. I'd like to get it to Ft. Lauderdale before the end of the summer.

Incidentally, I am not from Ecuador; I am from Texas. I am moving to Ecuador and that will be the boat's likely final destination.

chef2sail 05-10-2013 11:27 PM

Summer= hurricane season.....just saying

Lady Adoryan 05-10-2013 11:34 PM

Hi there. We are trying to find the best way to get our Apache 37 from Long Island to California. I was just planning to post for opinions about possible water delivery. Very long way, but smaller boats have done it :-0
We aren't bilingual enough to feel comfortable in the more southern waters.
We figured maybe three months or so @ cruise. We could pick her up when she is in the Pacific.
Opinions & suggestions would be appreciated. I am just beginning my search for possible delivery skippers...

FlyingJunior 05-11-2013 05:08 AM

Lady needs to start her own thread

outbound 05-11-2013 09:41 AM

going the wrong way as regards gulf stream so would need to go coastal. may be hard on boat and slow ( expensive). would look into trucking as safer ( seasonal storms), easier and probably cheaper option. Would be excellent way to learn your boat. ?maybe hire a captain fo the first week or two for teaching purposes and then do the rest yourself. Best of both worlds Would try to get where you're going before hurricane season .

Yorksailor 05-11-2013 10:41 AM

Boston to Lauderdale... 1300+ miles
Lauderdale to Panama... 1300+ miles

In a small boat you would be lucky to average 50 miles per day on the ICW and Fl to Panama is hard work in a big boat and not to be attempted in hurricane season.

That is a month for each leg and hurricane season is approaching.
Where will the boat be berthed in Lauderdale and Panama?

In Fl you would be better going to Miami... www.CGSC.org

We have done both trips, on the boat in our avatar, as a two person professional team and it is hard work on a big keel boat. The Panama leg would be dangerous in a Sharpie even if you knew what you were doing!

Truck it or sell it.

Phil

paradiselostparrot 05-13-2013 06:14 AM

+1

jaco59 05-23-2013 09:15 PM

Is that Dmitri Orlov's old boat?

I am interested. Since I am a teacher, I have lots of open blocks of time this summer. I'll send you a PM.

John