SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Crew Available: NYC (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/99860-crew-available-nyc.html)

Globalksp 05-25-2013 06:55 PM

Crew Available: NYC

Hi All,

I'm a 31 year old freelance photographer, digital tech, and photo assistant living and working in NYC and I'd like to get back sailing.

My sailing experience is limited to a year spent living in the USVI where I occasionally crewed on a day sailer and, most recently, as crew aboard a 31' Beneteau that participated in friendly, Wednesday night races on Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans. The only things resembling a passage I've ever made was a small one from the San Blas Islands to Cartagena.

Being honest with myself and quelling those dreams of immediate boat ownership, I'm researching the various sailing schools in and around NYC in order to gain the certifications necessary to then become a member of a sailing club and thus be able to sail when I'd like.

Being more of a cast the lines off and learn kind of person, I take to doing a lot of my own learning via books and information resources (Annapolis Guide, Coast Guard Information, OpenCourseware classes on meteorology, Yacht design and boat science, etc...) as well as practical things like learning knots and reading people's first hand accounts.

I see the opportunity of crewing as a great middle ground to those two schools of learning. Being a freelancer, I have a flexible schedule and am interested in crewing on everything from a daysail around the city to a long distance delivery. I'm happy and able to pay my own way for provisions and for the right circumstances, share operational costs.

Finally, I'm interested in learning all aspects of sailing and perhaps more importantly, maintaing yachts. If you have a boat on the hard in the NYC area (I keep a car in the city) that you are working on, I'd be glad to come out and lend a hand, trading my work for your knowledge.

I'd rather not talk more about myself than I already have (as much as I enjoy it of course), so, I'll leave it at that. If you're interested don't hesitate to get in touch.

Cheers,

Kyle

OmalleyRaven 06-03-2013 09:44 AM

Re: Crew Available: NYC

Would you consider crewing on a Raven Class (day-sailor) out on the south shore of Long Island?

Globalksp 06-03-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmalleyRaven (Post 1038856)
Would you consider crewing on a Raven Class (day-sailor) out on the south shore of Long Island?

Sure. Those little Ravens look like fun. Get in touch via PM or email.

-K

sailortrash 06-03-2013 07:07 PM

check out crewfinder.com

Globalksp 06-04-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortrash (Post 1039244)
check out crewfinder.com

Looks like that's just a parked site. I did find CrewFinders.com, however, that's not really the type of situation I'm looking for. I'm not looking for pay, just experience. Either way, many thanks for the link.

-K