Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Authors > Cruising Articles
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-1998
Contributing Authors

Sue & Larry is on a distinguished road
Fishing While You Cruise

Quick, stop the boat!" is the cry often heard aboard Safari while sailing along. Are we about to hit something? No ... Did Sue lose her cap overboard again? No ... It’s just that we’ve caught another fish, and we need to slow down in order to reel it in before it gets away.

Over the past couple of years, we’ve found that there’s plenty of seafood that’s easily gathered from our sailboat or dinghy. There are crabs, shrimp, mussels and, of course, fish of all kinds. With a few basic tools and the predisposition to use them, you can easily enjoy what the sea has to offer the cruising sailor.

We usually trail a fishing lure whenever we're sailing. So far the fish gods have been generous, as we catch something usually each time we try. When a fish takes the lure, Sue heads the boat into the wind to stop us while I grab the rod and begin reeling in the bounty. If the fish is large, Sue furls the sails then helps with the netting or gaffing of what will become our dinner. Getting the caught fish on board and into the cooler can be a hectic transition. It's a lot easier by using this trick we learned from fellow sailors: Spray or pour a capful of liquor into the gills of the flopping, thrashing-about fish. This "gill toddy" will immediately incapacitate the fish and allow you to safely plop it into the cooler without a hassle. At first I was skeptical. I have fished all of my life and had never heard of this trick. But, believe me, it really works.

We bought a crab trap six months ago and I can now say that it has been a truly delicious addition. Ours is a shortened version of a commercial trap, called a "tourist trap." For boats with limited storage space, there are smaller folding traps available. For boats with very little storage space, there’s always the hand-line technique, which many report can be very successful.

To set up our trap and the folding kind, stuff the bait, which can be a fish head, fish guts, chicken neck, etc., into the middle of the trap. Then lower it over the side into the water until it rests on the bottom, where the crabs hang out. Remember, results will vary greatly with your location, but I can tell you that on our very first day with the trap, in just three hours we caught 15 blue crabs. We figure the trap paid for itself that day alone. (See sidebar on traps and other gear needed for fishing under sail.)

If you're using the hand-line method, simply tie the bait to a piece of string and lower it down. To keep the bait on the bottom where it needs to be, you may want to add a weight on the string. I predict that soon a crab will start eating your bait. As you lift the line, the greedy crab will hang on tight, allowing you to scoop him up in a crab net.

If you’re going to do any crabbing, I highly recommend having a pair of long-handled tongs. Not only are they indispensable to extricate the iron-gripping crab from the trap, but they are also essential for safe cooking. I found this out the hard way. In our first experience steaming crabs, one jumped out of the pot before I had a chance to get the lid on. It clambered down the galley sole (not where crabs are supposed to hang out). For the next five minutes, it was man against crab. It was then that I realized that the tongs need to be longer than the crab’s pinchers. At last count, I still have all 10 fingers.

On our recent cruise in Maine, we were disappointed to learn that private lobster catching is not permitted. But this was quickly offset when we found out that the mussels were plentiful, delicious, and free for the taking. They come with a big bonus too: Mussels are very easy to collect from these cold clear waters and they don’t snap back at you. When mussels are very small, they attach themselves to rocks or clump together in intertidal zones. To harvest them, simply wait for low tide, cruise around till you find a clump, and pry off the ones you want. They usually come off very easily. Cooking preparations for mussels are a breeze. Wash the mussels in cool water and remove the byssus threads (beard) with a knife or scissors. (For simple, tasty recipes, see our Safari recipe sidebar above.)

Another easy way to harvest fresh seafood is with a cast net. When anchored near marshes and rivers that are close to an inlet, we sometimes cast for shrimp from our dinghy at night. We dinghy over into the shallow water and cast near the marsh. Within an hour, we could well have caught enough shrimp for dinner. Then there are other times when we catch nothinght, but that’s the way it goes.

Cast nets come in sizes from three to eight feet. When purchasing a cast net, bigger is not necessarily better. I like the five-foot size. Any larger, and my casts never open all the way. Throwing a cast net takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's kind of fun and a pretty good work out.

Sue and I are not the only ones on board enjoying the wonderful bounty the sea has to offer. Our cats, Endicott and Hinckley, must think they’ve died and gone to kitty heaven, with the endless treats they receive. But they deserve it. They are two of the best little fishing buddies I have ever had, and they don’t drink all of my beer.

As soon as I touch any of the fishing gear, Endicott wakes up from the soundest sleep to await eagerly his reward. We often find him sitting next to the rod, gazing longingly at the line trailing in the water. When a fish is hooked, the sound of the clicking of the drag sends him into a frenzy of anticipation. By the time the fish has been reeled up to the boat, both cats are on the rail, paws clawing the air, offering their assistance.

So, as you can see, with a minimal of investment in gear, there are plenty of edible treasures to be had from the sea. Each new cruising ground offers its own specialty, and there’s often the excitement of catching something new that requires you to pull out the reference book to figure out what it is. But most of all, it’s enjoyable to savor the delicious fresh flavors that night at the dinner table. Plus, you can’t beat the price.

Fishing Gear Selection

When selecting fishing gear, remember to keep everything simple. After all, we are sailors, not sport fishermen. Fancy gear and rigging will cause more headaches than it’s worth.

Basic equipment needed

• Short, stout trolling rod and reel
  • 50-pound test monofilament line for reel
  • 100-pound test line to make leaders
  • Large snap shackles with swivels
  • #1, #2 and #3 Clarke spoons
  • #3 Drone spoon
  • fish identification book (we have Fishes of the Atlantic Coast by Gar Goodson)
  • Trolling weights or planers
  • Rod holder(s) (PVC pipe clamped to a stern rail works fine if you don’t want to buy fancy ones)
  • Fish net and gaff (choose ones with extra long handles)

While traveling the East Coast, we trolled primarily with spoon type lures. Spoons resemble minnows or bait fish. Since big fish eat little fish, these are very effective lures to use. Also, they seem to work well at different boat speeds and will catch a variety of different types of fish. The following is a list of the types of fish we have been catching on Safari:

• common jack
  • king mackerel
  • bonito
  • Spanish mackerel
  • frigate mackerel
  • Cubera snapper
  • gray trout
  • bluefish
  • dolphin (mahi mahi, not Flipper)
  • barracuda

- - L.H.

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.