SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Local Fishing Laws

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Sue & Larry 
#1 ·
I am concerned about the laws regulating the type of fish one can catch and keep while sailing. You mentioned that private lobster catching is not permitted in Maine. How did you know? How do I find out what the local laws are when I cruise?

Bill

Sue and Larry respond:

Keeping abreast of all the rules and regulations we have to live by is sometimes tough.

In Maine, other cruisers had already told us that we were not allowed to catch lobsters ourselves, and this was also indicated in our guidebook. As for fishing, virtually every marina has pamphlets from its state addressing the local fishing rules and regulations. It's fairly easy to glean the information you need through these sources or from other cruisers. If you're traveling offshore and passing through, mum's the word.

Regards,
Sue & Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.