SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising Articles (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-articles/)
-   -   Post-Cruising Transition (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-articles/20485-post-cruising-transition.html)

Mark Matthews 07-18-2001 08:00 PM

Post-Cruising Transition

<HTML><!-- eWebEditPro 1.8.0.2 --><FONT size=2><P><FONT size=3>I'm planning to begin cruising full-time in three years. I will be sailing a 35-foot sloop single-handed, and so I want to be reasonably comfortable. I'm very fit and active and believe I'll be able to manage pretty well. Once I begin cruising, I will literally be selling&nbsp;everything from&nbsp;my life ashore, so&nbsp;returning to land sometime down the road might&nbsp;be a little difficult.<BR><BR>I'm sure many cruising people find themselves&nbsp;in this position. Once cruising, about&nbsp;what percentage stay cruising forever? For those that return to life&nbsp;ashore, is there difficulty in coping with the immense change?</FONT></P><P><FONT size=3><STRONG>Mark Matthews responds:<BR></STRONG></FONT></FONT>That old adage: "The hardest part is slipping the dock lines," holds&nbsp;true in many ways, although it's difficult to say how many cruisers keep cruising. Many take&nbsp;breaks here and there to buttress the cruising kitty, make upgrades, or enjoy life ashore. Some will move back ashore, some&nbsp;will continue&nbsp;a sailing lifestyle, some will try to do both.</P><P>Sailing off on an open-ended cruise brings with it a lot of good-byes as you open up possibilities for new people and experiences to enter your world. I’d recommend spending as much time sailing your boat alone as possible between now and your departure date. Especially if you plan on single-handing, which is a lot more work than most people think. I’d also refer you to an article by John Kretschmer <A class=articlelink href="http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20909">Single-Handed Sailing</A>&nbsp;for more thoughts on that subject.</P><P>If you haven’t already, you might as well move aboard your boat so that you can begin&nbsp;further refining your living space. It’s easier to make any upgrades now than it will be&nbsp;along the way. </P><P>The notion that one has to be wealthy to sail off into the sunset I believe is a faulty one. While there are certainly mega-yachts and their accompanying bankrolls, will plays a much bigger role in the prospect for the average cruiser. Cruising vessels take a lot of tinkering, equipment, upgrades, time, and yes, money, to get going, but compared to life ashore, apartments, houses, and the ‘normal’ day-to-day stuff that makes up life there, it’s more of an alternative lifestyle than something reserved solely for the wealthy. Most cruisers come from a can-do, spend-thrift lot, aiming to maximize the bang they can get for the buck. Depending on what kind of boat you have, sailing off into the sunset bound for distant locales presents an experience more akin to camping, than say one revolving around Grey-Poupon mentalities.</P><P>Cruising&nbsp;is a spectrum-expanding experience, on both the good and the bad, which&nbsp;I find is ultimately rewarding. It gets under your skin and it's hard to get used to not having large blocks of unstructured time.&nbsp;Coming back after several years of sailing around the earth with no particular aim except to get from point A to point B and enjoying yourself can leave one with a sense of career/societal vertigo that isn’t easy to negotiate. Cruising brings a different mindset revolving around wind and weather patterns, as opposed to the commute and the self-perpetuating quest for the dollar. The best bet is to be flexible. It’s a big change, for sure, either going cruising or getting back into the swing of things. A lot of how the transition goes will depend on the kind of skills you have, the people you know, and the type of work you do. At the very least, if&nbsp;cruising turns out to be the experience you hope it will, you’ll have a way out again. Good luck.<FONT size=2></P></FONT></HTML>