Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Authors > Cruising Articles
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2002
Contributing Authors

Tania Aebi is on a distinguished road
It's Great in Greece

From Argolis to Vathi, throughout the Greek Isles, the mesmerizing environs remain as inviting to mariners as they were centuries before.
My first visit to Greece was an unplanned pit stop. I was heading from the Suez Canal to Malta on a windless Mediterranean Sea, burning up fuel like an SUV aboard my 26-foot Contessa. When the gauge needle neared empty, the southern coast of Crete wasn’t too far away. My small-scale chart of the Mediterranean showed a little cleft marked by the name “Loutra,” just east of the sizable town of Palaiokhora. It seemed like a clear shot with plenty of deep water all around. Sure enough, on the approach, there were no navigational surprises and Loutra ended up being the quaintest cluster of buildings nestled at the foot of some pretty steep Cretan real estate. After something like a week at sea, I anchored in the clear waters of a shallow cover, near a beach covered with young sunbathers. On shore, umbrellas advertising different brands of Ouzo shaded the tables in front of tavernas and rooming houses were teeming with bodies—it was a typical July in Greece scenario.

Having just emerged from the entirely different world that lay on the other side of the Suez Canal, I inflated the dinghy and threw in the diesel jerry cans, eager to do some European people watching. I wasn’t disappointed in that regard. Plunking myself down at the first table—weather-worn, bleached out, and salty—I watched the latest fastidiously maintained fashions parade by, and ordered up a plate of sautéed string beans to satisfy my craving for fresh vegetables. The innkeeper was very chatty, curious about where such a scruffy creature had come from and where I might be headed, which quickly led to the fuel question. As it turned out, Loutra’s main attraction was that it was only accessible by ferry. No roads led to the cove, therefore, there were no cars. Obviously, this was a romantic ideal for tourists, but for me it was absurdly inconvenient. No cars meant no fuel, and after a brief respite in this oasis, I motored over to Palaiokhora and filled up there before pointing the bow to Malta.

My two-day Cretan detour is a mere blip on the screen of memories from that trip, but it was welcome reintroduction to a world completely different from the Middle Eastern and Asian ones that lay in my wake. Eight years went by before Greece came back onto my radar, and stayed there, when I started working with a sailing school that organized overseas trips. Greece has been a favorite destination for as long as tourism and travel have existed, for good reason. From the get go, I was hooked, too.

Most of the larger ports you'll visit in the Greek archipelago feature vibrant waterfronts where fishing and shipping sustain the local populations.

Stepping off the airplane from New York in Athens, a throng of smokers yelling back and forth and hugging each other surrounded me with a cacophony of sound, smell, and energy. So began my relationship with the high passions, the contrasts between beauty and ugliness, and the fierce love of life that is Greece. On my first week-long flotilla, I sailed to Poros, Hydra, Spaetsai in the Saronic Islands, and Monemvasia on the Peloponnesian coast. Between the food, the harbors that were central to everything, the people, the Mediterranean mooring challenge, and the weather, I returned home that I’d simply scratched the surface of something wonderful, and I wanted more.

Fortunately, I am not alone. Greece sings a sweet song that many answer to, so for years I have been lucky enough to go back with flotillas to revisit the vast choices that are available to the sailor. Making the decision to permanently move aboard and cruise isn’t an option immediately available to everyone, including me. But Greece offers the occasional sailor one of the best destinations in the world for one or two-week charters because the geography here offers a plenitude of itineraries, and the variety of islands and anchorages each carries its own distinctive character. I love showing off the place, sharing what I have learned, and still being able to discover something new with every trip I take.

I had already done several Greek trips when I went back to school a few years back and spent a semester exploring the foundations of western literature. It all started with the ancient Greeks, on the mainland, and among the islands of their melting-pot nation. Argolis, Sparta, Achaia, Rhodes, Kos—these were all names I recognized from poring over the charts, not just mythological places. I read tragedies that started in Corinth, philosophy that was first explored in the agora of Athens, drama from the Peloponnese, poetry from Lesbos, and the adventures of Odysseus who wandered all over the map just to get back to his faithful Penelope.

The typical blue domes that cap so many buildings among these islands also adorn calendars and post cards everywhere.

In the Saronic Islands, there is the island of Aegina, named for a nymph who mythology says eloped with Zeus. When her father pursued them, Zeus turned himself into a rock, her into the island, where the temple of Athena was built. An island further south in the Saronics, Hydra, shares a name with the nine-headed swamp thing Hercules had to kill as one of his labors. On the passage from Athens to Kea in the Cyclades, boats can pass directly beneath the temple of Poseidon. Dhilos, in the Cyclades, still has the ruins of a trading civilization, from a time when the island was considered the center of the Mediterranean and Aristotle was busy proving that the earth is round. A stone’s throw away from Dhilos is Rhinia, birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. Epidauros, on the Peloponnese, has the ancient amphitheatre where, throughout the ages, these stories have been playing on the stage, from Euripides to the performance of the Greek diva, Maria Callas. Further south on the peninsula, there is Monemvasia, a medieval village carved into and perched on a rocky hillside where everything still functions as it did centuries before.

In almost every port, the roads wind, intertwine and double back on each other as they lead up from waterfronts, designed to get invaders hopelessly lost in the land that also is home, by no accident, to the most famous Cretan labyrinth. This is the thing about Greece: Invaders, Odysseus, Theseus, Helen of Troy, and so many other familiar names with stories that still influence us today, are characters who got around by boat, in fiction and reality. For thousands of years, in times when not too many other people dared to confront the unknown, the adventurous and bold Greeks sailed the Mediterranean, in between their islands and beyond. Since boats must park when they arrive at their destinations, Greece, over the millennia, has been uniquely organizing itself and arranging its culture to accommodate sailors and their craft.

Like their ancient ancestors, most inhabitants in the Greek Isles still get around by boat, making this a nation of seafarers.
Still today, the islands and the mainland are linked together with cruise ships, high-speed ferries, and hydrofoils, and they all need docks. Every single island (if it isn’t just a pile of cliffs sheering away from the water too steeply for anything but sheep and goats) has a harbor. And the majority are safe harbors with a jetty for tying up to, a substantial breakwater for protection from Aegean winds, fishermen with fresh catches, grocery stores, and plenty of tavernas on the waterfront, because sailors have always been a hungry and thirsty lot.

When you step ashore, day after day, you are greeted by the sights everyone recognizes from the postcard and calendar photos of a land stereotyped by whitewashed homes, blue domes and doorways, temples, and donkeys. The ruins and museums that lay everywhere are reminders of a history that documented and instructed the human experience through art and words. The beauty is there, alongside perpetually unfinished buildings with rebar sticking out of the walls and roofs, the litter, and the chaos, which, to me, is part of the beauty of Greece. This contrasting combination makes Greece feel real, an honest marriage of human passions and flaws that can transcend and strip away the veneer of the ages, and still embrace life for what it is today. I know of no better way to visit and participate in the Greek experience than to bridge the centuries by following in the wake of an established tradition of sail. It is a tradition that brought me by chance to my first Greek harbor 15 years ago—a tourist harbor with no facilities for any transportation but a boat. That’s seems fitting now.

Grouping up in Greece

Chartering in a location like Greece, where the vast array of islands make the possibilities for different itineraries nearly limitless, it really can help to have a guide. For that reason, flotilla charters are very popular in this region. If you’d like to be accompanied by one of the best guides available, consider joining SailNet author Tania Aebi on her next flotilla trip. She’ll be heading to Greece in May next year. The boats will leave from Athens, transit the Corinth Canal, and cruise the Ionian Sea and surrounding islands. For dates and additional information, call (802) 439-6731, or e-mail Tania Aebi at tania@sover.net.

Suggested Reading:

The Agean Experience by Cynthia Orr

Mastering the Med Moor by Tania Aebi

A Sailor's Guide to the Gods by John Kretschmer

SailNet Store Section: Hand Bearing Compasses

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.